What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Oh man, I've been baking up a storm this weekend! I was at the store and saw a sign by the 1 lb bags of walnuts "2 for $3.00". No employee was right there, so I kept walking thinking it must be for something else. I came by a employee and asked, he said yep, that's right! I bought 6 bags! Never have I seen a pound of walnuts that cheap, and they were the common brand, and well within exp date. That store was so messed up though, it was probably a mistake.They rang up $1,50, and not a sale price :shrug:
So....I made nut rolls! I used a vegan cinnamon roll dough, and my old Kitchenaide grinder, some vegan butter, some brown sugar and cinnamon. They just came out, and they're perfect! I feel weird though, because while I cleaned everything I used, I realized in the middle of rolling the dough I was wearing the baggy sweatshirt that's covered in cat hair, so I don't think I'll be taking it to anyone outside home :ignore:. Not like it won't all get eaten here

I made slow cooker/crockpot vegetable soup. I had a couple of potatoes that would go bad soon and an almost full bag of baby carrots and half an onion. This is from buying for Haley. All that stuff would spoil on me if not used so since I had a box of vegetable stock, I figured soup was a good idea. I didn't follow a recipe, but just threw it all together with some diced tomatoes, frozen corn, a couple of bay leaves, some rosemary and thyme and garlic powder plus black pepper. It turned out pretty good but of course is a lot of soup! I will divide it into a couple of containers and freeze most of it.

I made slow cooker/crockpot vegetable soup. I had a couple of potatoes that would go bad soon and an almost full bag of baby carrots and half an onion. This is from buying for Haley. All that stuff would spoil on me if not used so since I had a box of vegetable stock, I figured soup was a good idea. I didn't follow a recipe, but just threw it all together with some diced tomatoes, frozen corn, a couple of bay leaves, some rosemary and thyme and garlic powder plus black pepper. It turned out pretty good but of course is a lot of soup! I will divide it into a couple of containers and freeze most of it.
My mom calls that refrigerator soup. Throw in whatever's in the fridge that's about to go bad. :) Love it. Yours sounds delicious.

made my mom's recipe raisin loaf only made a substitution or two - it calls for 2 cups each of white flour and brown flour and as I don't currently have any whole wheat flour I subbed with 2 cups of almond flour (last time I used one cup of almond flour) - it definitely means that loaf doesn't rise as much as the almond flour is moist and dense but the flavour is still really good - it also calls for 2 cups of raisins and I put in one cup each of raisins and cranberries - we ate a lot for dessert :rolleyes:

next time I think I might put in a few spices like cinnamon and ginger and whatever else I can think of that would make it even tastier

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: PTree15
yesterday I made a huge pot of veggie/bean/tomato soup - carrots, parsnip, onion, garlic, celery, potato, sweet potato - for my soup base I used miso, gochujang and some roasted garlic Better than Boullion, lots of spices, a can of chopped tomatoes - it was a very full pot - and I still have lots of beans left over and frozen for our Sunday beans on toast and to make future soups

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I use BTB a lot, and loved the garlic base--but now I can't find it. I've always found the best prices, and availability, at vitacost.com, but they haven't had the garlic in a while.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Making a black bean soup heavy in veggies. I used to love black beans in general, but they're another I've grown away from.
I've grown away from so many foods I liked years back! I found the recipe in my notebook I kept when first gone veg. It's full of things I don't like anymore! Hummus, chickpea recipes, chickpea flour frittata....

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I finally got the knack of making pita! Every one perfectly puffed! I was so surprised
Stovetop cast iron worked way better than oven. When making the balls don't roll in palms, but spread the top to the bottom and pinch at bottom. Don't be afraid to use a sprinkle of flour to roll
So satisfying to see them puff before my eyes

Attachments

• 20220116_181817.jpg
    20220116_181817.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 5
@silva that’s impressive!
I've tried so many times and never managed the puff. I listed the things I think made a difference, esp in the way of 'folding' the dough to the to the bottom rather than rolling balls
I didn't even do the spritzing with water after the first couple. I did lay the disc in the pan and cover

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Oh no…I made a cornbread. And I was doing so good in the snack department. Hopefully I will control myself and not overdo it.

———————//———————-//——————-//———-

———-///////———————///////———————-/////

:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Oh no…I made a cornbread. And I was doing so good in the snack department. Hopefully I will control myself and not overdo it.

———————//———————-//——————-//———-

———-///////———————///////———————-/////

:rofl:
I feel your pain. I so love cornbread, and it's funny, I have craved that of late. :D

I made black bean burgers and zucchini cakes the other day. I need to make seitan. I might do that in a bit.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. I only baked a dozen and will save the rest for the snow on Saturday. I might even freeze some of the dough because I don’t mind baking a few at a time. Nothing like fresh baked cookies. I added some white chocolate chips too that I found on Amazon.

I made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. I only baked a dozen and will save the rest for the snow on Saturday. I might even freeze some of the dough because I don’t mind baking a few at a time. Nothing like fresh baked cookies. I added some white chocolate chips too that I found on Amazon.
I never think to freeze the batter. That's an excellent idea!

My veggie chili is simmering away, and the cornbread is in the over. Dinner's going to be delicious!