What Did You Cook or Bake today?

The following recipe:

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I'm finally baking some bread today. I'll make my traditional whole wheat loafs and then some sourdough. Between proofing bread and various other chores, I have a Mulligatawny soup I will be working on today. It's gonna smell real good in my house today. I still haven't decided what to cook for dinner yet, but it will be something mushroom related...likely oyster shrooms.

It's time to make a new soup. I have everything I need to make a corn chowder. I might scoot out in the morning for some fresh jalapeno peppers. I can easily improvise a little heat without them though.

Traditionally, the corn chowder I was raised on didn't have spice like that, but I have grown to enjoy a little heat in this particular soup/chowder. I guess traditionally mom didn't use coconut milk in her corn chowder either. I recall my mom often using canned evaporated milk, which seems so gross to me now.

I guess this technically doesn't qualify as a today, but whatever...I will be cooking this for lunchtime tomorrow, nonetheless.

• Love
Reactions: EllieW and Emma JC
It's time to make a new soup. I have everything I need to make a corn chowder. I might scoot out in the morning for some fresh jalapeno peppers. I can easily improvise a little heat without them though.

Traditionally, the corn chowder I was raised on didn't have spice like that, but I have grown to enjoy a little heat in this particular soup/chowder. I guess traditionally mom didn't use coconut milk in her corn chowder either. I recall my mom often using canned evaporated milk, which seems so gross to me now.

I guess this technically doesn't qualify as a today, but whatever...I will be cooking this for lunchtime tomorrow, nonetheless.

I made corn chowder only once (decades ago) using dairy. I just recall it being very sweet due to the corn/potatoes and milk. Perhaps you could substitute the coconut milk for a less sweeter one such as soya or almond and add more onions and stock?

I made corn chowder only once (decades ago) using dairy. I just recall it being very sweet due to the corn/potatoes and milk. Perhaps you could substitute the coconut milk for a less sweeter one such as soya or almond and add more onions and stock?

I find the chowder has a slight sweetness, but that's where the heat works well. Sweet and heat tends to pair well, depending on your own tastes.

Nothing personal, but I just don't like almond milk, so I never use it for anything. I mostly use oat milk these days to cook with, but I will either use oat or coconut, depending on what I have in my cupboard. To be honest, the single can of coconut milk that I use for this particular recipe will barely be noticed. It's just for a little creaminess and texture. However, if I had some unsweetened pea or soy milk I would gladly use it.

I find some of the mock creams are improving a lot. One brand of oat milk for example is available now here in cream form exclusively for cooking. I used some recently and found it works quite nicely. I prefer using coconut milk simply because it usually works better at achieving the desired texture or flavour, but other brands are improving, as mentioned.

• Informative
I find the chowder has a slight sweetness, but that's where the heat works well. Sweet and heat tends to pair well, depending on your own tastes.

Nothing personal, but I just don't like almond milk, so I never use it for anything. I mostly use oat milk these days to cook with, but I will either use oat or coconut, depending on what I have in my cupboard. To be honest, the single can of coconut milk that I use for this particular recipe will barely be noticed. It's just for a little creaminess and texture. However, if I had some unsweetened pea or soy milk I would gladly use it.

I find some of the mock creams are improving a lot. One brand of oat milk for example is available now here in cream form exclusively for cooking. I used some recently and found it works quite nicely. I prefer using coconut milk simply because it usually works better at achieving the desired texture or flavour, but other brands are improving, as mentioned.

I also use oat or soya milk for cooking. I don't know whether it's the same in Canada but I had a hard time finding just plain unsweetened
plant based cream in the US. I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet recipes so am always tweaking recipes.

If you have Oatly in Canada, their cream is by far the best ever.

• Informative

I like to use the half size cans of coconut milk and mixing it with oat milk and that way I can cut back on the sweetness/fat.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW
Made another artisan bread. Yesterday’s was good but a little dense. I always seem to have trouble with the second rise. So I did a little research and this one is nearly perfect. I do wish I had paid attention to the size of the cast iron pot. It’s too big so the bread spreads out more instead of baking upward/ higher. But it really isn’t a big deal considering most of it gets eaten with butter and not used for sandwiches.

69C30933-6C03-404F-9418-71F97915A15F.jpeg