What are you reading now?

I’m reading “Stranger in the Woods.” It’s a true story of a man who lived as a hermit in Maine for almost 3 decades. I heard a podcast about it a while back, and thought it sounded like an interesting story, so I found the book online through my library.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I'm almost done with A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. I have a little more time now so hopefully I should be done with the books that are out in a few months.

Reactions: Andy_T
I get my books for free. You can get just about any book you want for free.

https://mashable.com/article/free-ebooks/

https://lightpdf.com/websites-download-pdf-books.html

Me, too. What is it called? .... oh, yeah. The Public Library.

Most public libraries have ebooks that you can download for free too. most public libraries have partnerships with Amazon for ebooks. A lot of libraries have joined Overdrive. They have an App for that. And the Overdrive app got a facelift and that app is called Libby. It's friendlier. Also, libraries have partnerships with Hoopla which has ebooks, audiobooks, movies, and TV shows. Not a great selection but it's fun to see what you can get for free.

The Department of Sensitive Crimes
by Alexander McCall Smith​

I haven't been contributing to this thread like I used to. I will try to catch up.

Right now I'm reading The Department of Sensitive Crimes. I've read a lot of McCall Smith. but not everything. the guy writes books like crazy. Most of the books of his I read were the in the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series which are just great. He has lots of other series as well. but this book is the first of the Detective Varg series I have read.

If you are a mystery fan, his books fall into the Cozy Mystery subset. The crimes are usually not violent and the mystery is only a small part of the appeal. I think the term is character driven (as opposed to plot driven).

His books tend to occur in places he has lived. The Ladies Detective books are in Botswana. A lot of the other books are in Scotland. The book I'm reading now takes place in Sweden.

Reactions: Emma JC
Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu

It's his only novel outside the Three Body trilogy that's been translated from Chinese. I really hope translations for his other works are in progress!

I just discovered that my library has a lot of books by him (her?). Just put the Three Body Problem on hold.

Reactions: Sax
I just discovered that my library has a lot of books by him (her?). Just put the Three Body Problem on hold.

Cool, I hope you like it!

He's got a collection of short stories (The Wandering Earth) that I've been waiting to read. Probably time to do that...another novel of his has been translated and is coming out this fall.

Right now, Metro 2033 by Dmitri Gluhovski... After that have planned to read The Phantom of The Opera by Gaston Leroux, 'cause the musical is going to be in the theatre soon, and I'm afraid, I must see that. Even though I hate crowds, and theatres, it's just too good to miss. Going to have to manage it somehow.

Both take place in a miljö that actually exist in real world. In the Metro, it's the Moscows metro system. TPoTO is located in Palais Garnier.
Metro 2033 is well written, the characters are interesting, I love to look at the bautifully detailed map and the world is build in depth. I really enjoy reading the book, and there is two sequels.
It's about post-apocalyptic world, where large amount of Moscow's population have survived in the tunnels of the citys metro system, after nuclear war in 2013 made living upon earth impossible. In the tunnels, there are factions, like the peacekeepers "Rangers of the Order", the neo-Nazis "Fourth Reich", the neo-Stalinist "Red Line".

And Polis, a huge prosperous "city" with a library that holds 100 000 books in ten different languages.
Doesn't sound that bad, when considered that it's the apocalypse... I mean, at least they have books.
But wait... Then there are the huge rats, that eat humans, and the mutants... and monsters, and ghosts, and disgusting food... And other much more horrifying dangers.
....Never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andy_T and Lou
Poth take place in a miljö that actually exist in real world. In the Metro, it's the Moscows metro system. TPoTO is located in Palais Garnier.

Have you ever read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? It's also a TV show.

Richard Mayhew is an unassuming young businessman living in London, with a dull job and a pretty demanding fiancée. Then one night he stumbles across a girl bleeding on the sidewalk. He stops to help her---and the life he knows vanishes like smoke.
Several hours later, the girl is gone too, and by the following morning Richard Mayhew has been erased from his world. His bank cards no longer work, taxi drivers won't stop for him, his landlord rents his apartment out to strangers. He has become invisible, and inexplicably consigned to a London of shadows and darkness---to a city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, that exists entirely in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Have you ever read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? It's also a TV show.

Richard Mayhew is an unassuming young businessman living in London, with a dull job and a pretty demanding fiancée. Then one night he stumbles across a girl bleeding on the sidewalk. He stops to help her---and the life he knows vanishes like smoke.
Several hours later, the girl is gone too, and by the following morning Richard Mayhew has been erased from his world. His bank cards no longer work, taxi drivers won't stop for him, his landlord rents his apartment out to strangers. He has become invisible, and inexplicably consigned to a London of shadows and darkness---to a city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, that exists entirely in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.
Yes, I read that comic book some years ago. It was awesome! :)
I love everything Gaiman creates.

Reactions: Lou
Bujold is one of my favorites. I may have read all her books. I like her fantasies the best. I just borrowed a lot of her audio books and have been using them as my bedtime stories.

Thank you for this recommendation @Lou - I hadn't read her before and have just finished the first two of the Sharing Knife series. I love it!!

?
?
Emma JC

Thank you for this recommendation @Lou - I hadn't read her before and have just finished the first two of the Sharing Knife series. I love it!!

?
?
Emma JC

The interesting backstory for the sharing knives is that it was written as one really big book but the publisher suggested two big books and then the editor or someone suggested 4 small books. But all four books were finished at the same time and they published the 4 books one at a time.

If you read the afterward you discover that the river is based on the Ohio river of the 18th century. And she included some of her memories of childhood houseboat trips on that river.

There is a new ebook out. it's about an adventure that Dawn and Dags children have. I haven't gotten it yet. I think it's called Knive Children.

Reactions: Emma JC
The interesting backstory for the sharing knives is that it was written as one really big book but the publisher suggested two big books and then the editor or someone suggested 4 small books. But all four books were finished at the same time and they published the 4 books one at a time.

If you read the afterward you discover that the river is based on the Ohio river of the 18th century. And she included some of her memories of childhood houseboat trips on that river.

There is a new ebook out. it's about an adventure that Dawn and Dags children have. I haven't gotten it yet. I think it's called Knive Children.

The thing I love most about the book/s (three now finished) is that there is adventure, romance, other worldliness kinda, dramatic tension but not too much, a deep insight into human interactions and just so many other amazing aspects of 'reading'. I am going to be so sad when I am done book four and then Knife Children. You get so caught up in their lives that it is hard to let them go. I am surprised that no movies have been made from these books - it would be similar to Outlander.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
In small portions, I am reading Size Matters, How Height Affects the Health, Happiness and Success of Boys - and the Men They Become, by Stephen S. Hall, published in 2006.

Aside from the obvious that it is about height discrimination towards men and boys, it also deals with studies on childhood growth, eugenics and comparisons between humans and other species.

Some issues are well-known anyway, such as the correlation between income and height.

Right now I'm reading The Department of Sensitive Crimes. I've read a lot of McCall Smith. but not everything. the guy writes books like crazy. Most of the books of his I read were the in the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series which are just great. He has lots of other series as well. but this book is the first of the Detective Varg series I have read.

I just finished his The Good Pilot Peter Woodhouse, it was excellent.

Emma JC

hi Sax

Finished Ishmael - it was very good and definitely made me look at many things differently and helped me to understand many things in my life and why I have spent so much energy trying to be a Leaver.

Haven't been able to get the next two yet, have just finished Beyond Civilization and that was very good.

I wrote the following yesterday after reading the first part of Beyond Civilization:

We can't just turn away, we have to turn towards.

What did the current president, of the USA, as a candidate, offer to Americans that the other candidate did not?

A vision, a new direction, a promise of becoming a tribe, once again, something we all long for.

It didn't seem to matter that the vision was cloudy, the direction was maybe misguided, the tribe was exclusive rather than inclusive and monochrome rather than diverse.

Why is the pushback so agressive? The vision and direction are directly contrary to many, many Americans' vision of themselves and doesn't sit well in their hearts. The swamp is not draining, instead it is becoming smellier and messier as those in it fight amongst themselves to rule it and we are all sitting around the edges on bleachers watching the show and holding up score cards to rate our favorite contestants.

Despite the fact that so many people lead very solitary lives, even within crowded cities, we all want to be useful, appreciated, helpful members of a tribe that has a vision. When that desire to be part of a tribe which supports our ideals is not met then we risk becoming part of something else that is not a all what we truly desire. Does any child grow up saying they wish to be a bank robber? a drug dealer? a pimp? a rich man? no! Most say they wish to be a firefighter, a police officer, a doctor... heroes they can see that help other people. They equate helping with love and love with helping and who doesn't want to be surrounded by love. Somewhere along the way those ideals fall to side because the culture and the environment may be such that just surviving becomes the most important ideal.

How to get back to a vision of the country that doesn't include just surviving as its ideal? Elect officials, at all levels, that can present you with a vision that reaches your heart. It's not enough to be against something or someone, you have to have something to strive towards. An ideal that is inclusive, diverse, colorful, joyful where animals, children and adults and seniors thrive. It can be done, one household, one neighbourhood, one village/town/city, one state at a time. Don't accept anything less!

Emma JC

A month ago I sent what I wrote above to my Member of Parliament which is equivalent to the USA House of Representatives member - today I received an answer back from her and I am impressed by her response and thought I would share it with you.

As the Member of Parliament for ________, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to me and to share that beautiful piece you had written.

I agree with much of what you have written for that forum. The populist trend we are seeing worldwide is of growing concern, and we are certainly not immune in Canada. In fact, even in _________ we recently saw some hateful acts during their Pride celebrations.

I would say that while others focus on dividing Canadians, we must continue to focus on spreading our positive and inclusive vision for the country. One where you are welcome to live and thrive no matter who you love, the colour of your skin, the faith you practice, or the way that you choose to express who you are.

Above all else, we must always hold true this incontrovertible fact; a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.

Once again. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to me and express your support. I very much appreciate you sharing these words with me. They have touched me profoundly and I will hold on to them to use when appropriate. I encourage you to continue to write to me about the issues that matter to you most.

Maybe we could all share something similar with our elected officials.

Emma JC