What are you reading now?

I’m not much of a reader but I’m going to check out this because I want to support a former VVer. 😊

D0E59A1E-A419-49B8-A5A6-EA1C5D7C31B1.jpeg

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I read Recursion by Blake Crouch since it was voted Goodread's best sci-fi of 2019. It was a good page turner. I feel like it was really close to be something profound...then turned into an unwieldy save-the-world plot.

• Informative
Reactions: Val
Quest by Wilbur Smith

St. Paul - The Misunderstood Apostle by Karen Armstrong. I'm not even religious, I'm just interested in how things came to be the way they are.

I'm out of new books, waiting on more to arrive so I'm re-reading Flatland by Edwin Abbot

Interesting.

I've always suspected my US education on WW2, that I received in public
school, but also a lot from popular media entertainment was severely
lacking and incomplete.

I'd watch the videos of Hitler speeches without proper translations
and wonder how such a mass of people could just seemingly worship
and obey what I've always been told was a maniac intent on taking
over the world while peppering his speeches with hatred for the
Jews. This of course was frequently the main focus of any documentaries,
with no full translations, but a heavy commentary provided. Today it's
still hard to find many of those full speeches with proper English
translations, at least on CorporateTube (youtube), and I have always wondered at this.

Today I found and read

Adolf Hitler - speech in the Sportpalast. Delivered in Berlin,
January 30, 1940. In English.

A great deal of oratory about
history, the first world war, Britain's empire, the startling
statement that concentration camps were invented by the British
during the Boer war, Germany's preparation for War as a
reaction against Britain's intent for it to happen, and many
other interesting details. Not a single word about the Jews
or world domination in this one. It's focus is history and
the German struggle against the English primarily.

Of course this was just one speech, and may even be peppered
with propaganda, but I do not get that overall feeling from it
like I get when I think of the indoctrination and short history
I got in public school - which was basically, Germany invaded
Poland, which started the war, Hitler was intent on Europe
domination and exterminating the Jews, but Britain and America
came in and saved the day, which is why the world is not
speaking German today, but English.

• Friendly
I’m not much of a reader but I’m going to check out this because I want to support a former VVer. 😊

View attachment 19691

While I am not a fan of romance novels, I would read this because I "know" her! Chatted with her quite a lot back in the Veggie Boards days!
I have just finished an interesting non-fiction book called "Strange Stars" by Jason Heller. It is about the connection between sci-fi and music. It covers several decades and has quite a bit of focus on David Bowie.
Another book I just finished reading in a couple of hours today, is called "Hidden Truths". It is a small book of short stories by a Florida author who lives in Ormond Beach which is not far from here. I don't usually read short story collections but this was pretty good. He is a good writer and I may look for more of his work.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
and ordered at the library too, ty for the referral

Emma JC

I am about 3/4s of the way through this - taking me a long time to read as it is so intense that I can only deal with a bit at a time and I am a book-a-day kind of reader. It is awful and horrible and amazing and if more people read it they would be not be so indifferent about the rise of the reight that is happening all over the world right now.

Thank you for recommending it @Poppy

Emma JC

• Informative
I am about 3/4s of the way through this - taking me a long time to read as it is so intense that I can only deal with a bit at a time and I am a book-a-day kind of reader. It is awful and horrible and amazing and if more people read it they would be not be so indifferent about the rise of the reight that is happening all over the world right now.

Thank you for recommending it @Poppy

Emma JC

I'm actually taking my time with Beneath a Scarlet Sky too, because it is so intense. I also listen to audio books and try to keep them more light. I just finished listening to "Nothing to See Here" and it was quite entertaining - a good escape.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I'm reading a biography of Captain Cook. I wanted something a little lighter but this one is too light, especially for such an important explorer. The author, Alistair MacLean, is a novelist not a historian or biographer. I swear without the big font and illustrations this wouldn't even be a 100 pages. And yet he takes multiple swipes at other Cook biographies, almost like he's self-conscious. At least I won't be investing much time in it.

• Informative
The Leviathan
by James Corey

I just started this book and I'm really liking it. It's the first novel in the Expanse Series which was made into a TV show. I may watch the show when I get done with this first novel.
I really like the Expanse books.

I started watching the show, but stopped partway through the first episode because I liked the vision I had in my head from the books so much better, and didn't want to spoil it.

Reactions: Val and Lou

I started watching the show, but stopped partway through the first episode because I liked the vision I had in my head from the books so much better, and didn't want to spoil it.

I have put the book on reserve at the library. It sounds good! I haven't read a good sci-fi book in a while!

I was thinking of watching the show later just to see how someone else envisoned it

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm actually taking my time with Beneath a Scarlet Sky too, because it is so intense. I also listen to audio books and try to keep them more light. I just finished listening to "Nothing to See Here" and it was quite entertaining - a good escape.

Let me know when you are done so we can discuss.

Emma JC

reading Dr Barnard's :heart_eyes: new book - Your Body in Balance - anyone who thinks oil doesn't have an affect on our bodies, especially hormones for both men and women, should check it out when you can

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I have put the book on reserve at the library. It sounds good! I haven't read a good sci-fi book in a while!

The expanse is sort of a realistic space opera. I'm on book 2 now and I don't think I'm on

Oh! I read Nothing to see here. I thought it was GREAT.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val