What are you reading now?

I’m sure audio books don’t count but as someone who is not an avid reader and now commuting to work, round trip, 80 minutes, I am listening to the Tatooist from Auschwitz. It’s really good. Depressing, but good.

I’m sure audio books don’t count but as someone who is not an avid reader and now commuting to work, round trip, 80 minutes, I am listening to the Tatooist from Auschwitz. It’s really good. Depressing, but good.
Why wouldn't audiobooks count?!

Reactions: Emma JC

Its on my list!

Reactions: KLS52
I have just finished a really good book by a Florida author. Her name is Connie May Fowler and she has written several books, one of which was made into a TV movie starring Oprah Winfrey back in 1996. Her novels are based on her own experiences. The book I read is "A Million Fragile Bones", which is a very recent (2017) memoir about her life in Alligator Point which is in the Florida panhandle. The last part of the book (which is beautifully written) concerns the 2010 Deep Water Horizon oil spill disaster. I was in tears through a good bit of the final chapters. Horrifying and informative, she describes what it was like living actually IN the disaster. Though it can be upsetting to read this stuff, we need to know and try to avoid further catastrophes of this nature.

I think of the indoctrination and short history
I got in public school - which was basically, Germany invaded
Poland, which started the war, Hitler was intent on Europe
domination and exterminating the Jews, but Britain and America
came in and saved the day, which is why the world is not
speaking German today, but English.

Other than leaving out the sacrifices and contribution of the Soviet Union and other countries, that account is not exactly wrong.

Other than leaving out the sacrifices and contribution of the Soviet Union and other countries, that account is not exactly wrong.

It's the version that school children are taught in public/government schools that necessarily leaves out a lot of detail so it can fit nicely into a simplistic good vs evil paradigm they have been taught represents the world.

In school I wasn't taught extensively about the suffering of the German people post ww1, the memoirs of Winston Churchill stating that they (Britain) wanted the war, the fact that Hitler took Germany out of the world economic system/control by issuing debt free currency (similar to how Lincoln did to help win the Civil war) to build his nation back up, the fact that heavy economic sanctions are tools or warfare that precede military conflict and are often intended to do so by subjugating nations (and post ww1 Germany (which didn't even start that war), was certainly such a targeted nation), that the "final solution" was (in the sense of extermination of Jews) denied by top Nazis, instead meaning mass immigration out of Europe, the fact that Auschwitz had it's official death toll decreased from 4million to 1million...but somehow the 6million figure stays the same...and so many other things.

Is it a crime in Germany to read Hitler's speeches? I had to go to an archive to find the one I read. The versions on youtube are almost all edited and/or suspiciously without an English translation.

I'm reading information regarding "Project Pandora", which is, in the specific sense, about research that was initiated after discovering Russia was using microwave tech on US government personnel several decades back.

Curiously, there is no formal wikipedia article, only a page on "electronic harassment" which basically calls all microwave tech used as covert weapons the stuff of "conspiracy theories". I guess the writer of the wikipedia article was either unaware or chose to ignore that a number of patents exist for covert type microwave weapons, and is depending on the reader to be unaware of this fact.

Anywho...while reading the article I was reminded of this video:

Link