Literature What are you currently reading?

Dorsey is similar to Hiaasen but way more crazy! If you don't mind a main character who is a psychotic serial killer off his meds with an addiction to Florida history with a strong moral code, you may enjoy these books! There is lots of sex and violence and laugh out loud stupid situations. Serge is a whacko anti-hero who fights injustice with his sidekick, Coleman, who is perpetually stoned. I have read several of the series and always find myself grinning or out right laughing while reading.
Interesting, that description gives me very strong "Dexter" vibes, and I loved "Dexter", both the TV series and the books.
I also like Hiaasen but thought he was pretty crazy already.

Reactions: PTree15
Spent all afternoon yesterday reading another Florida author I discovered by chance browsing at the library. The book is "Murder on Hogtown Creek: A North Florida Mystery". It is 3rd in a series by M.D. Abrams. There is Florida history in the story about the Gainsville area. The main character is Lorelei Crane, a middle aged actress who gets involved in crime investigations. The plot involves an environmental group and also speaks to homelessness. It was an interesting and easy read. I will look for the other 2 in the series.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Interesting, that description gives me very strong "Dexter" vibes, and I loved "Dexter", both the TV series and the books.
I also like Hiaasen but thought he was pretty crazy already.
My favorite character in the Hiaasen books is Skink, the former governor who goes all Jeremiah Johnson and lives in the wilderness. Just love him!

In about a month or so, I'm going to start looking for a publisher for the novel I'm just about finished editing, Heavenly Mystery. It's mystery/fantasy/sci-fi, but interestingly, since the setting is Heaven where no animals exist, everyone is vegan. I hope the book is not a turn off for carnivores. For variety, a plethora of dishes are mentioned in the book.

I’m running out of my lighthearted romcoms, the hallmark type. The issue is strictly mine because I have a very strict guideline as to what I want to listen too. I’m way too specific with my criteria. And it’s getting harder to find free ones. I go through my five books a month through hoopla and my daughter let’s me use her 10 on her account. I only get one free credit on audible. I need to start watching tv again, lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
I’m running out of my lighthearted romcoms, the hallmark type. The issue is strictly mine because I have a very strict guideline as to what I want to listen too. I’m way too specific with my criteria. And it’s getting harder to find free ones. I go through my five books a month through hoopla and my daughter let’s me use her 10 on her account. I only get one free credit on audible. I need to start watching tv again, lol.
How come you get 5 and your daughter gets 10?
I get ten.

audio books as podcasts are harder to find than Hoopla. Hoopla is better organized.
However once you find something you like it can be like a bridge to similar shows.

I did a little googling and found this article, I hope it helps

----

Also have you checked out the public library. Mine mostly refers you to Hoopla. But they have a bunch on CDs and cassette tapes.

-----

here is something I just found out from googling. There are audio books on YouTube!

------

Won't help you with your limits but I like C.J. Archer, Hoopla has lots of her audio books. her books are mostly Mystery books with a little romance and fantasy mixed in. Try the Glass and Steel series. there are like 11 of them

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

my library uses Libby and there are no restrictions on the number of books I can read/listen to - I do have to wait sometimes and it also it tied in with 2 other nearby cities' libraries so I really have an endless amount to read - do they have Libby there?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

my library uses Libby and there are no restrictions on the number of books I can read/listen to - I do have to wait sometimes and it also it tied in with 2 other nearby cities' libraries so I really have an endless amount to read - do they have Libby there?

Emma JC
I’ve never heard of it but I will look for it, thanks!
It’s funny because my daughter’s account (different state) allows her ten/month and she can read all ten in one day if she wanted to. The account I opened here in Connecticut allows five and I can only read one/per day. If I were listening to normal books it probably wouldn’t be an issue…longer plots so longer books… but a lot of the free ones are short…4-6 hours. I listen most of the day while I’m walking/exercising and even when I’m doing housework or some project. So I go through them easily in one day. Audible has some free ones but the options are becoming less and less of what I’m interested in. I need to try and branch out…but it’s hard lol.

My husband borrowed my kindle paperwhite for about a week and somehow managed to mess around with it!!! It almost ran out of battery when I was reading a book today and I read very quickly. I don't know how he did it as it has worked since 2015. I decided to order a new paperwhite. It did have a scratch on the screen too that I did from dropping it.

I only have about 10 books left on the old one and I was thinking about trying my local library as well. I did join when I moved to my new area, but haven't checked out any books yet.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I’ve never heard of it but I will look for it, thanks!
It’s funny because my daughter’s account (different state) allows her ten/month and she can read all ten in one day if she wanted to. The account I opened here in Connecticut allows five and I can only read one/per day. If I were listening to normal books it probably wouldn’t be an issue…longer plots so longer books… but a lot of the free ones are short…4-6 hours. I listen most of the day while I’m walking/exercising and even when I’m doing housework or some project. So I go through them easily in one day. Audible has some free ones but the options are becoming less and less of what I’m interested in. I need to try and branch out…but it’s hard lol.

ah, I see - I almost never listen to books so I am not up those specific ones, it's all reading for me

currently reading one of Nora Roberts newest Nightwork, as I finished The Surgeon's Daughter and I have two more hard copy books from the libary

I have become so used to reading on my phone from covid that I find it more challenging to read the hard copies as you need light etc. I couldn't sleep the other night so I downloaded and read an entire book in 3 hours, all without disturbing my honey. I do love that.

Emma JC

I am reading another Tim Dorsey called "Naked Came the Florida Man." Typical craziness with Serge and Coleman and lots of history as this pair travel the state.

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh, @KLS52 ,
I'm sorry when I think Hoopla I thing audio books. were you talking about ebooks?

Hoopla is paid for by your local library system. they pay some kind of subscription rate. So your library must have the bargain basement version of Hoopla. I wonder if you wrote to your librarians and explained maybe they would up their subscription.

Libby is a software interface to your library's database of ebooks and audio books and other downloadable content. Again its something your local library has to pay for. Most libraries around here have it. OverDrive was Libby's father. Overdrive is going to retire soon and then it will just be Libby.

I still have my old second generation Kindle. but my Kindle Fire just died. I think I will buy a new one.

Here are some good resources for free ebooks.

This one is pretty good

The Internet Archive at first is sort of daunting but you can find books.

same is true for Project Gutenberg.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
@Lou I am talking audio, not ebook.

Something I think I would like to do is follow along with an ebook while I'm listening to the audio. I wonder if that's a thing haha.

My library only has hoopla and the palace project. I'm checking out the palace project now. It's a downloadable app. I'll see how far I get.

Part of my problem is I want G rated audiobooks. Maybe PG. too many are R and sometimes I don't find out until it's too late, haha. I end up either fast forwarding, which is a pain, or abandoning it altogether. You can't return books on hoopla so I get mad when I have to waste 2-3 listens a month. At least with audible there's no limit to the free audiobooks and if you spend a credit they will refund you, even if you read the whole book and decide it's bad. You just can't do it too often. I returned three last month and I can't return anymore for now.

Oh yeah and twice I hit ebook on hoopla by mistake instead of audio. So I wasted two of my listens because there is no way to rectify that. 😠 I guess I expect too much from the free library system lol.

@Lou I am talking audio, not ebook.

Something I think I would like to do is follow along with an ebook while I'm listening to the audio. I wonder if that's a thing haha.
It is.
Amazon almost gives away the audio book if you buy the ebook.
I think also a lot of the easy readers have companion deals. I heard from both parents and teachers these were godsends during the pandemic.

I use audio books as bed time stories. and also when I get tired of newsy podcast for my walks and chores.

This amazon page is cheap ebooks that come with free audio books.

Don't forget to check your library for OverDrive or Libby.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Just finished "Birds of Paradise" by Diana Abu-Jaber. I found this book browsing in the library. I look for books about Florida; the spines have little Florida tags on them. It takes place in Miami and I am not very familiar with the area so I learned a lot. This was another deeply moving family saga told in the perspective of each family member. There is Brian, the father, who is a corporate lawyer working in the development industry. Avis, the mom, is a pastry chef with a home business that is very successful. There are lots of descriptions of fancy cakes and cookies. Felice is the runaway daughter who lives on the streets and at the beach with other street kids. Her secret of why she ran away is tragic. Stanley is the older brother who owns a Whole Foods like market. They lead separate lives and it is a sad tale of a family in crisis. The writing is beautiful and of course it made me cry!