Literature What are you currently reading?

Just read

Out of Isak Dinesen in Africa: Karen Blixen’s untold story by Linda Donelson

which I didn't enjoy. There was quite a lot of reference to hunting which in those days was not frowned upon
amongst the Europeans who lived in Kenya:

I'm now reading The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I went to a Wellness Fair yesterday and picked up 2 Wayne Dyer books. One was "Wishes Fulfilled". I used to own a copy of this years ago, and gave it away. I wish I didn't - so very glad I found it again. And also "Manifest Your Destiny".

I'm really struggling lately in some areas of my life, and I'm hoping that these books will help me to manifest and create a better future for myself.

Any other Wayne Dyer fans here?

I've read a few of his books and used to watch his show on the TV many years ago. It's a shame that he died so suddenly, as he seemed to be in such good health.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
received the latest Ruth Galloway book from the library yesterday - this is the challenge with reading a series of books, it's all fun and games when you find a new author and get to read tons in a row and then... nothing, hafta wait for the author to write some more - I am about halfway through and trying to read slowly so it lasts longer

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Raven and Chryssie
Finished "Florida Roadkill" by Tim Dorsey. These books are so hysterical! I needed the silliness after the other books I read!
I'm going to have to check out this author. Your description makes me think of Carl Hiaasen, whom I just adore.

I'm going to have to check out this author. Your description makes me think of Carl Hiaasen, whom I just adore.
Dorsey is similar to Hiaasen but way more crazy! If you don't mind a main character who is a psychotic serial killer off his meds with an addiction to Florida history with a strong moral code, you may enjoy these books! There is lots of sex and violence and laugh out loud stupid situations. Serge is a whacko anti-hero who fights injustice with his sidekick, Coleman, who is perpetually stoned. I have read several of the series and always find myself grinning or out right laughing while reading.

• Informative
  • Haha
Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
Dorsey is similar to Hiaasen but way more crazy! If you don't mind a main character who is a psychotic serial killer off his meds with an addiction to Florida history with a strong moral code, you may enjoy these books! There is lots of sex and violence and laugh out loud stupid situations. Serge is a whacko anti-hero who fights injustice with his sidekick, Coleman, who is perpetually stoned. I have read several of the series and always find myself grinning or out right laughing while reading.
Haha, I think laugh-out-loud is just what I need!

received the latest Ruth Galloway book from the library yesterday - this is the challenge with reading a series of books, it's all fun and games when you find a new author and get to read tons in a row and then... nothing, hafta wait for the author to write some more - I am about halfway through and trying to read slowly so it lasts longer

of course I read into the night to finish it... it was very interesting in that it was set in Feb-May of 2020, start of pandemic and she includes it in the book, so reading about it happening in others' lives was illuminating even if it is a novel

@Chryssie I was able to get City of Orange from the library and have just started it... thank you!

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie and Raven
Finished 'Hamnet' by Maggie O'Farrell. The best book I've read this year. Lyrical prose that is so wonderful and engaging - places the reader in each scene with a depth most writers cannot touch. (Somewhat apropos since one of the characters is a world renowned playwright.) The ordinary becomes sublime with Ms. O'Farrell's pen. A great work of historical fiction, and a glorious celebration of the English language. Every English professor should be handing this out as assigned reading. Brilliant and immensely enjoyable.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Finished 'Hamnet' by Maggie O'Farrell. The best book I've read this year. Lyrical prose that is so wonderful and engaging - places the reader in each scene with a depth most writers cannot touch. (Somewhat apropos since one of the characters is a world renowned playwright.) The ordinary becomes sublime with Ms. O'Farrell's pen. A great work of historical fiction, and a glorious celebration of the English language. Every English professor should be handing this out as assigned reading. Brilliant and immensely enjoyable.

I have also put it on Hold for myself. Just a quick note that in Canada it is called Hamnet and Judith.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
  • Love
Reactions: Raven
Today I finished another very "deep" and emotional book called "Out of Darkness" by Ashley Hope Perez. While this book is classified Young Adult, it deals with some very disturbing subjects including child abuse and racism. It is based on a true event that happened in Texas in 1937. Called the worst school disaster in US history, a school in a small oil town blew up. The book tells the story of an unusual blended family. It is the story of young love between Naomi who is Mexican and a black boy which is so forbidden in those days. The racism is rampant against both blacks and Mexicans. It is a deeply disturbing novel. I was reduced to ugly sobbing at the end. It is a really good book but it tore me up!

I have spent the last two days reading "One Year Gone" by Avery Bishop. This is a suspense novel that I could really see being a movie! Jessica Moore's 17 year old daughter disappears and it looks like she ran away. Many of her possessions are gone and her social media has been deleted. The police can do nothing. Then one year later, a text message, "mom help me I think he is going to kill me". There are time shifts and perspective shifts throughout the book but Jessica is the main character. There are twists and turns in this tale of a small town and family tragedies. Very good book!

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
It's been years since a book resonated with me as strongly as Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I've been contemplating more than usual lately on what I value and how I want to live and whether certain things we're told to take seriously are actually ******** and the latter half of this story really jives with my thinking on that. Plus it's laugh out loud funny at times.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou