Literature What are you currently reading?

Hail Mary
by Andy Weir

Weir is the guy who wrote the Martian. I loved the Martian. I also have read his other book, Artemis.

Hail Mary is another near future science fiction novel. and like the Martian is has a lot of real science it it. But it also has a pretty big and important thread of imaginative science- a single cell organism that can cross interstellar space.

The book is super well written and constructed. And a real page turner.

If you like hard science fiction - this is a must read. Note to @Sax

OH! I just learned that a film is already in the works. I can't wait.

reading this now.... very interesting and very detailed - I wish my honey had time for me to listen to me read it to him... he would enjoy the science of it very much

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and EllieW
Hail Mary
by Andy Weir

Weir is the guy who wrote the Martian. I loved the Martian. I also have read his other book, Artemis.

Hail Mary is another near future science fiction novel. and like the Martian is has a lot of real science it it. But it also has a pretty big and important thread of imaginative science- a single cell organism that can cross interstellar space.

The book is super well written and constructed. And a real page turner.

If you like hard science fiction - this is a must read. Note to @Sax

OH! I just learned that a film is already in the works. I can't wait.
I will check this out. I loved The Martian as well.

just finished Before I Saw You by Emily Houghton - it was very good, and kept me glued to the pages, picked it up at the library so it was nice to read an actual book and not just my phone

Emma JC

The Lost Apothecary
By Sarah Penner

Upon finish reading this book I looked it up. This is Sarah Penner's first book and I don't know how but it almost immediately shot into the Top Ten NYT bestseller list. they are already talking a TV adaption.

The book is told from the viewpoint of three different women. All in London, Two in the 1700s one in present day. Each chapter is told by a different character. In the audio book, for each point of view, the book is narrated by a different woman. I hadn't realized that till the credits. I just thought it was one very talented voice actress.

The three storylines are expertly weaved together. There are a number of surprises along the way and the author generated quite a bit of mystery and suspense by revealing things during the narration. The author does a really good job of making sure that the characters motivations are well understood and plugging up any possible plot holes.

Sarah Penner's debut novel, The Lost Apothecary, is an enthralling work of mystery, murder, trust, and betrayal. Set in an atmospheric London, Penner's immersive story flows skillfully from past to present, revealing the heartaches and lost dreams of three captivating main characters in a page-turningly tense drama that surprises right up until the final paragraph.​

'The Lost Apothecary' Is A Poisonously Good Read

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm reading "The Expanse" series by James S.A. Corey. Currently, I'm on book two of the series "Caliban's War".
I've read several of those and really liked them. I read as many as my library had and couldn't find the others except to buy them which I won't do. :D I just found the TV series based on the books on Amazon so I am going to watch it.

• Friendly
I finished The Letter Keeper last night by Charles Martin - thought it was recommended by someone here but I can find the post - it is the second of a series which I didn't realize while reading it however it was very good as a stand alone and @Indian Summer I think you might enjoy this author very much - there is a third book coming but not until June of 2022.... I am going to have to read more by him for sure

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
The Lost Apothecary
By Sarah Penner

Upon finish reading this book I looked it up. This is Sarah Penner's first book and I don't know how but it almost immediately shot into the Top Ten NYT bestseller list. they are already talking a TV adaption.

The book is told from the viewpoint of three different women. All in London, Two in the 1700s one in present day. Each chapter is told by a different character. In the audio book, for each point of view, the book is narrated by a different woman. I hadn't realized that till the credits. I just thought it was one very talented voice actress.

The three storylines are expertly weaved together. There are a number of surprises along the way and the author generated quite a bit of mystery and suspense by revealing things during the narration. The author does a really good job of making sure that the characters motivations are well understood and plugging up any possible plot holes.

Sarah Penner's debut novel, The Lost Apothecary, is an enthralling work of mystery, murder, trust, and betrayal. Set in an atmospheric London, Penner's immersive story flows skillfully from past to present, revealing the heartaches and lost dreams of three captivating main characters in a page-turningly tense drama that surprises right up until the final paragraph.​

'The Lost Apothecary' Is A Poisonously Good Read

finished reading this today and enjoyed it very much - thank you for the recommendation!

Emma JC

finished reading this today and enjoyed it very much - thank you for the recommendation!
It really feels good when someone here follows up on one of my recommendations and then thanks me.

I only recommended the book on Thursday and you had It finished on Friday??!!

It really feels good when someone here follows up on one of my recommendations and then thanks me.

I only recommended the book on Thursday and you had It finished on Friday??!!

what can I say, I love to read - I finished it this morning... :rolleyes:

now on to a couple more Enid Blyton books and have Last Night in Montreal in the queue plus 4 actual books from the library waiting for me - I feel very calm when there are books available to read and slightly anxious if I don't know what I am reading next

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
what can I say, I love to read - I finished it this morning... :rolleyes:
I get the recommendation on day one. Then I have to put it on hold at the library or maybe get the ebook.
then I have to finish whatever I'm reading.
only then can I start reading that book.

:)

• Friendly
Just finished "While Justice Sleeps" by Stacey Abrams. I didn't know she was an author so I was curious when I saw this at the library. It is a political thriller full of government and corporate corruption and a scary biological experiment. She is a very detailed writer and very knowledgeable about the subject matter. You learn quite a lot about the Supreme Court. I enjoyed it and will look for her other books.

Just finishing up Blake Pierce: Jessie Hunt 15-The Perfect Mistress and about to get into Lisa Regan: Detective Josie Quinn 12-Her Deadly Touch. Love police procedurals.
On my tablet I'm reading How Not to Die and Think Like a Vegan. Looking forward to getting Mary Trump's: The Reckoning as soon as it comes out in a couple of days.

wasn't very fond of Last Night in Montreal although I did finish it....

loved, loved, loved the one I finished this morning When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin - what an amazing author and I have two more of his lined up, can't wait...

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52