Literature What are you currently reading?

I read another Jennifer Weiner book today. I have read several now and have enjoyed all of them. She writes such compelling character driven stories! This one is "That Summer" and like most of her books is about women in crisis. It is about relationships and the consequences of mistakes. It covers many years and goes back and forth in time and changes character focus as well. The subject of the book is sexual assault so not a happy story.

Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I enjoyed Hail Mary so much I went back and re-read Artemis, my favorite of Andy Weir so far.

Now I'm re-reading the Name of the Wind. Obviously I need something new to read!

I want to read The Killing Star but it's out of print and I can't find an affordable copy.

I enjoyed Hail Mary so much I went back and re-read Artemis, my favorite of Andy Weir so far.

Now I'm re-reading the Name of the Wind. Obviously I need something new to read!

I want to read The Killing Star but it's out of print and I can't find an affordable copy.
I hadn't heard of The Killing Star.
Holy Crap its hard to find. or expensive.

Try WorldCat and do a search. there might be a library in your general vicinity that has it.

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax

I wasn't sure who this author was and went looking in my huge book collection and found I have all 3 of his novels and also a series he wrote a book for called Forward Collection. I also saw the movie The Martian and I enjoyed it. I think I'll read them next! I know my daughter will love them too. Thanks for pointing him out to me!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
yes, City of Windows and then Under Pressure and there is a third Lucas Page coming in 2022

I am currently reading BloodMan and have also read Harvest.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I finally got City of Windows and I think it took me two days to read it.
today I hardly did anything but read the book.

Very well done. excellent job with building and milking suspense. the author did good job in tying up any loose ends and making all the puzzle pieces match but I think there were a few that are still jiggling around in my mind.

One minor thing that seemed strange was liberal use of brand names. I don't know why †he author did that. Maybe he is looking for product placement revenues in the movie adaption?

It was never a nice office chair but an Aeron chair. Not a chocolate bar but a Hershey chocolate bar. Not a warm winter jacket but a Canadian Goose parka . Not an industrial polisher but a Koblenz polisher. SUVs weren't generic but Navigators or Suburbans. Not meant to be a criticism but just an observation.

I will probably put off the next book for a while. my tushy is sore.

• Wow
I have just finished "The Space Between Worlds" which is a YA novel I think I saw on Goodreads or maybe one of the many book lists I am on. It is by Micaiah Johnson but I can't remember if this is her debut novel. It is about parallel universes and travelling between them. It is an interesting story with characters from the different worlds but for some reason it didn't "grab me" like some books of this kind do.

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue
By V.E. Schwab

One night I was having trouble sleeping and I needed a new audio book. I didn't want to get out of bed and look at my lists and what not and I didn't want to take the time to search around. So I just downloaded the first thing that came up in the Hoopla recommendations. I finished it last night and completely enjoyed it. this morning I googled it and I'm not the only one who liked it.

Its only available as an audiobook on Hoopla but I just checked and my library has it in every format. Amazon has it too,

From Hoopla
A Life No One Will Remember. A Story You Will Never Forget.​
France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever-and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.​
Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.​
But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.​
In the vein of The Time Traveler's Wife and Life After Life, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is New York Times bestselling author V. E. Schwab's genre-defying tour de force.​
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
USA TODAY BESTSELLER
NATIONAL INDIE BESTSELLER
THE WASHINGTON POST BESTSELLER

Recommended by Entertainment Weekly, Real Simple, NPR, Slate, and Oprah Magazine
#1 Library Reads Pick
October 2020
#1 Indie Next Pick
October 2020
BOOK OF THE YEAR (2020) FINALIST
Book of The Month Club

Praise for The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue:
"For someone damned to be forgettable, Addie LaRue is a most delightfully unforgettable character, and her story is the most joyous evocation of unlikely immortality."
-- Neil Gaiman, author of American Gods and winner of multiple Nebula, Hugo, and Locus Awards

"Victoria Schwab sends you whirling through a dizzying kaleidoscopic adventure through centuries filled with love, loss, art and war -- all the while dazzling your senses with hundreds of tiny magical moments along the way. The Invisible Life of Addie Larue will enchant readers as deeply as its heroine's Faustian bargain; you will find yourself in quick turns both aching with heartbreak, and gleefully crowing at the truly delicious, wicked cleverness in store."
-- Naomi Novik, Nebula and Locus Award-winning author of Spinning Silver

"Addie Larue is a book perfectly suspended between darkness and light, myth and reality. [This novel] is--ironically--unforgettable." -- Hugo Award winner Alix E. Harrow, author of The Ten Thousand Doors of January

"The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is the kind of book you encounter only once in a lifetime. . . . A defiant, joyous rebellion against time, fate, and even death itself--and a powerful reminder that the only magic great enough to conquer all of it is love."-- Peng Shepherd, author of The Book of M

I am 3/4 of the way through this and it is very good - a fascinating premis and I am enjoying it very much - thank you for the recommendation.

I also finished reading A Candian Werewolf in New York by Mark Leslie - it was a quick read and entertaining although there were so many typos and errors in the first couple of chapters that I almost stopped reading it.

I am also reading another Charles Martin book A Life Intercepted - I am finding it tough going and a little darker than I like as in it is not joyful...

Emma JC

Reactions: EllieW
I am 3/4 of the way through this and it is very good - a fascinating premis and I am enjoying it very much - thank you for the recommendation.

I also finished reading A Candian Werewolf in New York by Mark Leslie - it was a quick read and entertaining although there were so many typos and errors in the first couple of chapters that I almost stopped reading it.

I am also reading another Charles Martin book A Life Intercepted - I am finding it tough going and a little darker than I like as in it is not joyful...

Emma JC
I started the audio version of The Water Keeper by Charles Martin but I couldn't get into it. I'm gong to give the ebook a chance. Both are on Hoopla.
I discovered that Hoopla has a lot more of the Maisie Dobbs ebooks. There is just one in-between the ones that Hoopla has and where I left off. I'm putting that one on Hold at the library.
I also started Too Lucky Too Live. Not loving it but maybe it will grow on me.

Reactions: EllieW and Emma JC
On my Kobo I just started an Amelia Storm book by Mary Stone, book 5 in the series, Storm's Wrath. A Police Procedural. On my tablet I'm reading Tofu A-B-C's, a Vegan Asian cookbook, and Last Ape Standing about evolution.

Just finished "We Were Never Here" by Andrea Bartz. This thriller sucked me in and was an amazing ride! Told in first person, it is the story of Emily and Kristen, best friends since college. On a vacation in Chile, a tragic accident (or was it?) happens that is eerily similar to a previous incident on another trip. As the questions mount up, Emily (narrator) wonders how well does she really know her "bestie." I couldn't put this book down and will look for more by this author.

Just finished "We Were Never Here" by Andrea Bartz. This thriller sucked me in and was an amazing ride! Told in first person, it is the story of Emily and Kristen, best friends since college. On a vacation in Chile, a tragic accident (or was it?) happens that is eerily similar to a previous incident on another trip. As the questions mount up, Emily (narrator) wonders how well does she really know her "bestie." I couldn't put this book down and will look for more by this author.
That sounds good!

I'm starting Surrounded by Psychopaths or, How to Stop Being Exploited by Others.

Still reading the Mary Stone: Amelia Storm book on my Kobo, coming to an end soon. On my tablet I'm reading a couple of books I just found: Clean Meat: How Growing Meat Without Animals Will Revolutionize Dinner and the World by Paul Shapiro and The Future of Meat Without Animals by Brianne Donaldson and Christopher Carter along with an Instant Pot Vegan Indian cookbook by Meena Agarwal.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
The President's Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson - had a request in for it for awhile - it is very good and engaging.

Emma JC
I am still waiting on that one from the library. Last time I checked I was #21 on the list. I have just read "Artemis" by Andy Weir. I thoroughly enjoyed it!