I just love all mustard and pickly and pepper and sauerkraut toppings. I add hot sauce. To be honest I think I like sauces more than food itself.
I think this is the case with most foods/sandwiches for me. I like to make vegan Big Macs. I could leave off the burger altogether. Most times I sub with a chickn patty but it’s the vegan special sauce, lettuce, cheeze, pickles, onions in a sesame seed bun.

I think this is the case with most foods/sandwiches for me. I like to make vegan Big Macs. I could leave off the burger altogether. Most times I sub with a chickn patty but it’s the vegan special sauce, lettuce, cheeze, pickles, onions in a sesame seed bun.
I'm the same usually. I think that is why I like the McPlant so much as all the other things on the burger make it taste like how I remember a meat burger tasting.

Oh good. I need an excuse to have a hot dog party. Okay I really don't I was planning on doing it this week anyway.

Reactions: Emma JC
Just skipped to the end. Field Roast won. which had already been my fav. although I haven't had all the others.
did go and buy some LightLife a few days ago and I'm going to have one for lunch.
so I will let you know.

I had vegan hot dogs already, when I was vegetarian many years ago, while with others at their hot dog event, bringing those with me, I might have had them since, but they were not something so much that I wanted to keep having them. It can be great for those quitting meat and wanting meat still. But I was over meat already, even then. I used natural things like beans a lot, and did not use anything like meat still, and didn't miss it. But I think it is funny, I never had even carrot dogs. I had not heard of doing that with carrots, until very much later. And I could still try, yet I never have. I think I should get around to it, and have what clearly many other vegans have had, certainly before the faux meat hot dogs, but since those too. I will have to plan to do that. I use carrots, but in other ways for food. I just realized it was important to say for food, too.

So many seem to love carrot dogs I've made them three times, each a different way. :hurl::hurl::hurl:
I like carrots a lot--as them selves. I don't even use any seasoning outside of salt, maybe some pepper and rosemary if having them as a side dish

I do love the Gentle Chefs recipe, and may make them again this weekend with proper baked beans (as in don't add fresh garlic :dismay:)

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Just skipped to the end. Field Roast won. which had already been my fav. although I haven't had all the others.
did go and buy some LightLife a few days ago and I'm going to have one for lunch.
so I will let you know.
I've tried both kinds of LightLife. I think I'll give the higher score to the cheaper ones - because they are cheaper.

Both kinds need some better cooking instructions. Boiling is not optimal

I've tried both kinds of LightLife. I think I'll give the higher score to the cheaper ones - because they are cheaper.

Both kinds need some better cooking instructions. Boiling is not optimal
I like the LightLife vegan hot dogs, but sometimes they don't settle well in my stomach. I usually pan fry them, rather than boil them. Aldi had a decent vegan hot dog, but I haven't seen them this summer. I don't really miss them since I started making vegan sausages. I much prefer those to the hot dogs. I load them up with mustard and onions or sauerkraut and onions.

Reactions: Lou
I like the LightLife vegan hot dogs, but sometimes they don't settle well in my stomach. I usually pan fry them, rather than boil them. Aldi had a decent vegan hot dog, but I haven't seen them this summer. I don't really miss them since I started making vegan sausages. I much prefer those to the hot dogs. I load them up with mustard and onions or sauerkraut and onions.
Try this recipe as written (I do like a teasp of no beef BTB). It's amazing. My son hated hot dogs but liked these

Reactions: PTree15
Try this recipe as written (I do like a teasp of no beef BTB). It's amazing. My son hated hot dogs but liked these
Thank you! I will give it a shot.

I can tolerate most vegan "hot dogs." To me they are mostly like globs of tofu and some sauce, seasoning or vegan cheese can spice them up. I treat them mostly like a flavorless base. That said, they are easy to burn out on if eaten too frequently.

One thing I do know: I cannot imagine eating a real hot dog ever again. I haven't had one in maybe 20 years and I never plan to partake again. Just the thought makes me a little queasy. Luckily, that shouldn't ever be a problem I will ever face. For example: "Eat this real hot dog or you'll never see this hamster again!!" Probably won't happen.

When I have faux meat, very rarely, it is for use in a recipe, but that is not often. It is never hot dogs, then, so I just don't get anything for that. Meat hot dogs are just about the grossest of meats, from what is left to use. A very long time ago when I was very much younger hot dogs were desirable, but not now.

I used to love hot dogs in my younger years, despite the questionable ingredients. So when I went vegan the options were just horrible. I just learned to live without them. It was better than a tofu dog which I found disgusting and still do. I love tofu, but tofu hog dogs are gross.

Anyhow, they have come a long ways in improving vegan hot dogs in the last little while. I love faux meats, and not just for the odd recipe. Soy curls in particular I am addicted to. I have been using them frequently since discovering them. I'm not really sure they qualify as a faux meat. Nonetheles, their meaty texture is undeniable.

Field Roast Stadium dogs are my new fav, although somewhat expensive. I love them all around, for both texture and flavour. I do like The Very Good Butcher's vegan dogs, but they are somewhat fragile to handle and cook.

I don't eat hot dogs often, but I do enjoy them on occasion. The Stadium dogs could pretty well fool a non-vegan. They nailed it, imho, where most other brands I've tried wouldn't come close to fooling a meat eater. It's all about the texture and flavour in my opinion.

• Agree