Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello,
Why don’t more restaurants do vegan hotdogs? A lot of restaurants (both vegan restaurants and other restaurants that do vegan food and non-vegan food 😒☹️😔) do vegan burgers, but what if a vegan would prefer a hotdog? Would you like to see vegan hotdogs on more restaurant menus?
Also, the Vue cinema near me do hotdogs, but not vegan ones. There’s nothing a vegan could have for a meal there, as far as I know. If a vegan wanted to eat a meal at the cinema, they would have to bring their own. The popcorn is vegan (I think), as are the jelly tots and at least some of the drinks and, maybe, some of the other snacks…
Thanks.

I love vegan hotdogs and sometimes I really crave them. I'm in Australia. There's a chain here called Lord of The Fries and they do an awesome vegan hotdog. Unfortunately I don't live close to any of their restaurants....so I make my own :)

Coincidentally, my hubby and I were shopping at IKEA yesterday and discovered their veggie hot dogs.
They don't call it vegan but say it's all plant-based.
We didn't try them cause we were heading to another vegan restaurant after shopping, but they looked good :blush:

they are good unless you have too many of them (did that once and now don't crave them anymore) and you can get fried onion toppings etc
they are also inexpensive

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

The Morning Star line was on sale so I bought a bunch of things to try. But the hot dogs just don’t seem to work. Tried pot of water, fry pan, grill, air fryer, microwave. Always end up like a dried out hard block of rubber. Anyone got any good experience cooking them? Got a couple boxes still. Morning Star is a prominent brand and I like most of their other products.

The other brands we got in the store are Light Life Smart Dogs and Upton Naturals. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

Reactions: Lou and HappyRoxy
I don't buy vegan hot dogs, the Field Roast were the only ones I really liked, but pricey.
I've made this recipe a couple times. The ingredients are like others, but if you follow the weights and procedure they really come out like I think of regular hot dogs. I have found adding a tsp of Better then Boullion no beef is really good

The Morning Star line was on sale so I bought a bunch of things to try. But the hot dogs just don’t seem to work. Tried pot of water, fry pan, grill, air fryer, microwave. Always end up like a dried out hard block of rubber. Anyone got any good experience cooking them? Got a couple boxes still. Morning Star is a prominent brand and I like most of their other products.

The other brands we got in the store are Light Life Smart Dogs and Upton Naturals. Anyone have any experience with either of them?
my experience is that all of those hot dogs are awful. I haven't had Uptons. IMHO, Light Life are the worst
in fact, I haven't found a vegan hot dog that got better than a C- in my book.
so far the the closest thing to a half decent hot dog at the supermarket is Field Roast Stadium Franks. but even they aren't that good. I've also experimented with them and I think nuking them for a minute and a half is the best bet. Served on a toasted bun with lots of sauerkraut and lots of your favorite mustard seems to make it a C+

I did have a restaurant hot dog at a special Japanese style hot dog place. It was very good. and not even that pricey. Sadly the pandemic killed it.

Hello,
Why don’t more restaurants do vegan hotdogs? A lot of restaurants (both vegan restaurants and other restaurants that do vegan food and non-vegan food 😒☹️😔) do vegan burgers, but what if a vegan would prefer a hotdog? Would you like to see vegan hotdogs on more restaurant menus?
Also, the Vue cinema near me do hotdogs, but not vegan ones. There’s nothing a vegan could have for a meal there, as far as I know. If a vegan wanted to eat a meal at the cinema, they would have to bring their own. The popcorn is vegan (I think), as are the jelly tots and at least some of the drinks and, maybe, some of the other snacks…
Thanks.
I had a vegan Beyond Bratwurst once at a restaurant and really liked it. but when I brought some home from the supermarket I was disappointed. not sure how come it tasted So Much better in the restaurant. Maybe it was all the meat juices on their grill.

Also I think you should never buy food at the cinema. the tickets are pricey enough. you can just sneak in some snacks in your pockets.

• Wow
Reactions: Andy_T
Coincidentally, my hubby and I were shopping at IKEA yesterday and discovered their veggie hot dogs.
They don't call it vegan but say it's all plant-based.
We didn't try them cause we were heading to another vegan restaurant after shopping, but they looked good :blush:

I had those once when I was at Ikea's with a friend. They are inexpensive and do make a good snack. My friend enjoyed her HD more than I as I'm not a fan of franks and white bread.

In Sweden, hot dogs are a standard snack and all the shops that sell them offer a vegan version. It makes a lot of sense over here with such a high vegan/vegetarian population. My favourite hot dogs to buy for home cooking are Peas Of Heaven, a company that has its base just outside Gothenburg I believe.

Morning/afternoon y'all! I'm in Savannah, Georgia now with my sister who's still sleeping. We met up with our brother and cousin yesterday after driving through heavy rain on the way. We visited an awesome military museum and there will be tons of pictures coming on Facebook.Today we will all go to church which I am doing out of respect for my siblings as I never go to church. Then we're going to go to a performance by a distant cousin who has a band. We will also go to the historical River Street. Of course food will be worked in there somewhere!

Reactions: Brian W
I’ve been buying LightLife Smart Dogs. They are the best ones I’ve tried so far. I used to like Field Roast but can’t find them anymore.

Reactions: tlc1976
I’ve been buying LightLife Smart Dogs. They are the best ones I’ve tried so far. I used to like Field Roast but can’t find them anymore.
It’s promising to see that someone likes them. Reading reviews, apparently they were great but then they changed the recipe for awhile and people hated it, so as of earlier this year they went back to the original recipe. By people’s description, the temporary recipe sounds like my Morning Star dogs which I bought last month. Then again the Morning Star dogs rate very well.

I gotta go to the store tonight so I’ll pick some up to try. They’re cheaper than the Morning Star dogs, and have a lot less sodium while having equal calories, so it could be a win.

BTW I don’t eat bread, or any condiments except for plant based cheese or sometimes a little relish if I have it. Plain is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
Light Life are my least favorite but maybe when I tried them it was back with "bad" recipe. I will try them again.

I bought some Field Roast Stadium dogs and some Field Roast Apple Sage sausages. I like the apple sage sausages so much more. They don't fit on a traditional hot dog bun. and a hero type bun is too much bread for me. so I put in on a tortilla, wrapped it up with a spicy mustard and some sauerkraut. then nuked it. I'm still working on the timing. A minute is too short and two minutes is too long. to complicate matters, for efficiency I'm trying to nuke my sides simultaneously. three minutes seems to be working.

My personal favorites are
Field roast frankfurters and stadium dogs. I've only had stadium dogs once because my mom brought then over from Illinois.
Beyond meat
Morning star
Loma linda- that one has more of a Vienna sausage flavor, I've only had it once, need to buy it online.
There's a lot of variety when it comes to vegan hot dogs :)

• Informative
Reactions: tlc1976 and KLS52
Loma linda- that one has more of a Vienna sausage flavor, I've only had it once, need to buy it online.
Oh I forgot all about Loma Linda. That used to be my favorite back when they sold it in supermarkets. I should get some online, too.

Light Life are my least favorite but maybe when I tried them it was back with "bad" recipe. I will try them again.
I’m wondering the same because I was pretty sure I didn’t like them when I first tried them. But I was desperate this time around and there was no other option. I’m glad it turned out the way it did.

Reactions: tlc1976
I had a vegan Beyond Bratwurst once at a restaurant and really liked it. but when I brought some home from the supermarket I was disappointed. not sure how come it tasted So Much better in the restaurant. Maybe it was all the meat juices on their grill.

Also I think you should never buy food at the cinema. the tickets are pricey enough. you can just sneak in some snacks in your pockets.
We sneak in our own snacks.....it is healthier and less expensive.

I have lightlife jumbo in my fridge right now. I might make them sometime this week with some sauerkraut. We have an old fashioned hotdog place that has vegan hotdogs. There's a place on the other side of the state that has we stop by that has really good vegan sausage hot dogs. It's a definite next time we're in that area.
I just love all mustard and pickly and pepper and sauerkraut toppings. I add hot sauce. To be honest I think I like sauces more than food itself.