For those in Sweden (I don't know if these sell in other countries) Peas Of Heaven make some of the best meat substitutes and their hot dogs are second to none, having a unique depth of flavour as well as an appetizing smoke and a meaty texture. (Oh no, I sound like an advertisement! I don't work for these - honestly.)

I'm reluctant to buy vegan hotdogs, burgers or pizza at the moment because they're all high in calories. Perhaps when I get down to my high school weight, I'll give them a looksee.

Reactions: bEt and HappyRoxy
**Vegan Hot Dogs**

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 20 mins

Marinating Time: 8 hrs

Total Time: 8 hrs 30 mins

Serves 8

These vegan carrot hot dogs are such a fun, meat-free grilling recipe! Smoky and savory, they're perfect for summer cookouts and BBQs.

**Ingredients**

8 medium hot dog-sized carrots, 1½ pounds

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ cup tamari

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Water, as needed

Avocado oil, for drizzling

Hot dog buns, for serving

Homemade relish, for serving

Desired fixings

**Instructions**

Peel the carrots and trim them to the size of your hot dog buns.

Place the carrots in a steamer basket and set over a pot filled with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and steam for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender but still a little firm in the middle.

Meanwhile, make the marinade. In a shallow container or baking dish, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, tamari, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Add the steamed carrots and enough water to fully submerge the carrots in the marinade. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.

Grill the carrot hot dogs. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the carrots from the marinade and pat dry. Drizzle with avocado oil and grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until well-charred, turning as grill marks form on each side.

Remove from the grill and serve in buns with homemade relish and your desired fixings.

**Vegan Hot Dogs**

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 20 mins

Marinating Time: 8 hrs

Total Time: 8 hrs 30 mins

Serves 8

These vegan carrot hot dogs are such a fun, meat-free grilling recipe! Smoky and savory, they're perfect for summer cookouts and BBQs.

**Ingredients**

8 medium hot dog-sized carrots, 1½ pounds

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ cup tamari

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Water, as needed

Avocado oil, for drizzling

Hot dog buns, for serving

Homemade relish, for serving

Desired fixings

**Instructions**

Peel the carrots and trim them to the size of your hot dog buns.

Place the carrots in a steamer basket and set over a pot filled with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and steam for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender but still a little firm in the middle.

Meanwhile, make the marinade. In a shallow container or baking dish, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, tamari, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Add the steamed carrots and enough water to fully submerge the carrots in the marinade. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.

Grill the carrot hot dogs. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the carrots from the marinade and pat dry. Drizzle with avocado oil and grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until well-charred, turning as grill marks form on each side.

Remove from the grill and serve in buns with homemade relish and your desired fixings.

I've tried a few of those recipes. I call them "adulterated carrots" :yuck:
So many people like these, I just really dislike carrots trying to be something else, I taste them very very strongly, and like them as they are

So many people like these, I just really dislike carrots trying to be something else, I taste them very very strongly, and like them as they are

I tried a similar recipe once and I agree 100 percent. I don't dislike carrots...I just disliked them as hot dogs. I feel like the recipe probably originated long before all of the processed PB options existed. I mean you would have to be desparate for a hot dog. To each their own though.

Until recently I just didn't buy vegan hot dogs at all. I really disliked all the ones available. I will still only buy The Very Good Butcher's or Field Roast's Stadium dogs. I like hog dogs, but can easily live without them. I consider them nostalgic if anything.

Absolutely no offense meant to Fred for posting the recipe. Your post is appreciated!

Reactions: PTree15
I'm reluctant to buy vegan hotdogs, burgers or pizza at the moment because they're all high in calories. Perhaps when I get down to my high school weight, I'll give them a looksee.
I have noticed that some vegan burgers carry a whopping amount of calories!

I tried a similar recipe once and I agree 100 percent. I don't dislike carrots...I just disliked them as hot dogs. I feel like the recipe probably originated long before all of the processed PB options existed. I mean you would have to be desparate for a hot dog. To each their own though.

Until recently I just didn't buy vegan hot dogs at all. I really disliked all the ones available. I will still only buy The Very Good Butcher's or Field Roast's Stadium dogs. I like hog dogs, but can easily live without them. I consider them nostalgic if anything.

Absolutely no offense meant to Fred for posting the recipe. Your post is appreciated!

I don't approach carrots (which I only would have cooked, I want them soft) with any desire or expectation for hot dogs. Weiners used for them are gross and as unhealthy as any meat there is available. I admit wanting them when young, but I am long over them. I see opportunity to do more with carrots, and that does interest me.

• Friendly
Reactions: Veganite
I don't approach carrots (which I only would have cooked, I want them soft) with any desire or expectation for hot dogs. Weiners used for them are gross and as unhealthy as any meat there is available. I admit wanting them when young, but I am long over them. I see opportunity to do more with carrots, and that does interest me.
Ok, but the recipes you posted were what I was referring to! :shrug:

Reactions: HappyRoxy
Ok, but the recipes you posted were what I was referring to! :shrug:
I see that. I don't use faux meat, I stopped getting meat earlier, well before turning to the vegan way I chose. It was not with using faux meat, and I only included any as rare exceptions later, and still didn't prefer it over other things I prepared for myself. I lately am enjoying carrots in more ways. About the recipe, I am not having anything for hot dogs anyway for a comparison. What I think of doing with any of my carrots is not carrots trying to be something they are not. I would be willing to have carrots soaked in ACV and tamari with seasonings and cooked to have in slices of bread (I don't even have hot dog buns), the carrots don't try anything and I can enjoy the variation with it. No one needs to try what they don't want to (except for veganism), but I see those hostile to vegans saying they would rather die of some atrocity they mention than eat a cooked carrot in a bread or bun like a hot dog. That goes beyond what anyone should say to anyone. It's not that bad.

I have lightlife jumbo in my fridge right now. I might make them sometime this week with some sauerkraut. We have an old fashioned hotdog place that has vegan hotdogs. There's a place on the other side of the state that has we stop by that has really good vegan sausage hot dogs. It's a definite next time we're in that area.
I just love all mustard and pickly and pepper and sauerkraut toppings. I add hot sauce. To be honest I think I like sauces more than food itself.
I got some jumbo Lightlife dogs. They suck.
I am going to stop buying and and all of their hot dogs. IMHO they Are The Worst.

I'm thinking I might cut them up and use them in my split pea soup recipe.

Of all the hot dog like products the only ones I seem to like are the Field roast apple sage sausages.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I do not buy anything Lightlife - I have not had anything of theirs that I like!

Field Roast Stadium Dog's are really good if it is a 'hot dog' or 'weiner' that you are looking for, they are harder to find than their sausage counterparts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I do not buy anything Lightlife - I have not had anything of theirs that I like!

Field Roast Stadium Dog's are really good if it is a 'hot dog' or 'weiner' that you are looking for, they are harder to find than their sausage counterparts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
IMHO the stadium dogs aren't bad but I like the sausages much better.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I must admit hot dogs are one of the areas where I see the absolute maximum inconsistency amongst omnivores. How on earth can someone turn their nose up at vegetables being made to taste like meat and then happily chow down on some meat made to taste as un-meaty as is legally possible? Anyone comfortable with eating a hot dog - as heavily processed as it is - cannot claim any legitimate argument against processed plant-based food.

As for the original poster's question, I personally wouldn't want to see hot dogs on a menu anyway but if they were there then I'd see it as a no-brainer to have vegan dogs alongside on the menu as an entirely reasonable alternative. Not like they're more expensive or any worse for you....

Reactions: Brian W
I haven't been fond of the brands of vegan hot dogs I have tried. One, I can't remember which, did not agree with me, so I never bought them again. I haven't tried the Field Roast ones because I haven't been a fan of other Field Roast products. The vegan sausages I make from the Post-Punk Kitchen take care of any hot dog cravings.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
My favorite vegan "fast food" restaurant just started making vegan hot dogs. I have not had the chance to go there or try them yet. I want them in my face. I think I'd get pickles, onions, hot sauce, and there no animal sauce.FB_IMG_4749308655360413952.jpg

It is not on the menu anymore. I was hoping they would be on the menu till Thursday of this week.