Vegan cookbooks for non-vegans?

Luke Rogers

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Christmas is around the corner, and I am looking for a good covert vegan cookbook for a gift for my mother. Any suggestions?

It depends on your mother's personality.

If she cares most about health give her Forks Over Knives or the Get Healthy Go Vegan cookbook - both written by doctors.

If health food is a joke to her, give her something with a catchy fun title like But I Could Never Go Vegan! or Veganize It! Easy DIY Recipes

If you think she actually cares about the ethical side, give her Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet or Vegan Planet.

If she is none of the above, but it very centered on ethnicity or culture - depending on your background, give her Mayim's Vegan Table if you're Jewish (I have a Jewish friend who is lacto-ovo veg and started making more vegan meals because of Mayim Bialik) or Afro-Vegan or Vegan Soul if you're African-American, or Vegan Mexico if you're Mexican ...you get the idea. If she's a conservative Christian give her The Biblical Cookbook: Meat which is actually an argument for Christian veganism. Trust me, even if you're white and she's Eurocentric, there's still The French Market Cookbook and Chloe's Italian Kitchen.

I hope this helps. I don't think there's one perfect cookbook to give your non-vegan mother. I think approach really should depend on what the individual vales and their personality.

Thank you Forest Nymph. I am actually looking for a kind of covert vegan cookbook. Something that is vegan, but isn't in your face like I am trying to force it on her. I just want her to be able to try some foods that are vegan without her knowing it. I will certainly take a look at those titles for my own collection though.

Oh ok sorry if I misunderstood. It might be really tough to find something that is completely "covert" - I mean The French Market Cookbook doesn't have vegan in the title, and neither does Forks Over Knives (though she may know what that is). My suggestion then would be to searched "plant-based cooking" instead of vegan, that might give you more luck.

That is a good idea. It also makes me think I might check for cookbooks that are basically vegan from other cultures ital for example is Jamaican cooking that is almost totally vegan. There is also an Ethiopian style cooking that is vegan. Thanks for the tip. I will post back here if I find anything good.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
You know what I was so mystified by the concept of a "covert" vegan cookbook existing (I mean you know most people want their cookbooks to sell to a willing audience so will market the words vegan or vegetarian, or at least plant-based to push sales) that I decided to do a quick Google search of cookbooks.

A few pages in I found this, it's a cookbook written by a non-vegetarian that is full of vegetarian and vegan recipes based in Mediterranean cooking. The words "vegan" or "vegetarian" are no where in the title.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/plenty-yotam-ottolenghi/1102580859?ean=9781452101248#/