UK Vegan Cosmetics

Thank you for that link, Shyvas. It's put my mind at ease and I now have some on route to me :D

Which ones did you order TH ? I'm interested in any feedback on their anti frizz range. I had a Brazilian blow out/dry done last June and it lasted 3 1/2 months. Now I'm back to my frizzy hair which drives me mad.:confused:

I'm planning a trip to the nearest Superdrug store that stocks the B range next weekend.

I desperately need to find a good foundation. I bought the BWC foundation but I need good coverage and it just doesn't do the job sadly. Fingers crossed this is what I've been looking for!

Not sure if my search function is working on here.
I was looking to see if anyone had posted about Benefit cosmetics. They mention animal testing quite extensively in their FAQ but I don't really understand it :-(
Someone just bought me Benefit mascara for my bday n I wanna feel relatively guilt free using it! Xxx

Wtf? I just googled it. they say:

http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/help/faq
Do Benefit Cosmetics test on animals?

Benefit does not test our cosmetic products on animals. When selecting the ingredients to be used in our cosmetic products, Benefit requires raw material suppliers to provide safety information based on scientifically accepted alternative testing methods that meet international safety standards and regulations. Benefit products must meet both consumers' needs and consumer safety, while respecting animal life. Benefit continues to strongly support & favour alternative testing and is committed to following all animal testing laws and regulations in order to ensure our products' safety for the end consumer.

• Where can I read about testing regulations & alternative research?

Each country has its own specific regulations that are regularly updated. Benefit's parent company, LVMH, has always been actively involved in the search for alternative testing methods for many years and supports several industry research programs, including those conducted by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing, the European Chemical Industry Ecology and Toxicology Centre (ECETOC), the European Cosmetic, Toiletry and Perfumery Association (COLIPA) and the Personal Care Products Council (PCPC).
  • Other makeup brands confirm they are cruelty free, why doesn't Benefit?

Benefit is against cruelty to animals. It is our goal to be as transparent and honest with our customers as possible. We believe the "cruelty free" certifications provide unclear explanations to consumers, as it implies that none of the ingredients incorporated into products have ever been tested on animals. This is a nearly impossible certification for any cosmetic company to make. We prefer to be able to stand 100% behind our claims.
  • Can you tell me which ingredients may have been tested on animals?

Benefit does not test our cosmetic products on animals and we require our raw material suppliers to provide safety information based on scientifically accepted alternative testing methods. It is nearly impossible for any cosmetic company to certify that all new and existing ingredients incorporated into products have never been tested on animals as part of the safety research and certification process. Benefit selects high quality raw materials with well-established safety records and uses an extensive ingredient database. Benefit is committed to maintaining the highest standards of human safety while eliminating the need for testing on animals.

Huh? I think they may be saying that they avoid it where possible but some suppliers may slip through the gaps so they dont want to commit to saying nothing is cruelty free. Thats really confusingly worded though.

Most mascaras seem to have beeswax in, not sure if thats something youre currently avoiding but thought id throw that in there so you could check if need be.

That is confusing. To me it seems to say they don't test on animals or buy from people who currently test on animals, but ingredients they use have been tested on animals in the past?

From what I understand, Benefit allows animal testing of products that are in development (they state they don't test finished products, but that leaves a lot of room for pretty much everything else to be tested), and they don't have any policy for their suppliers.

Reactions: SummerRain
Can anyone recommend a good clear top coat? My OPI one has died, I kinda left the lid open and it went really gunky. I put nail polish remover in it and now it doesnt actually stop my nails chipping. Before it was really good : ( I want a cheaper one this time though.

Barry M maybe? is that vegan?I don't know if it's any good compared to others but I use it & it's alright. Only £2.99 I think.

Barry M is vegan (as far as I know), it's the one I use and I quite like it, its pretty cheap, only needs one coat (even for coloured nail varnishes I only ever need one), chips reasonably quickly though - but I find that is true with all nail varnish.

There is one called Essie, which is vegan too, and free from that bad chemical (the name of which I forget). I think you can only get it at salons maybe, but it's not too bad. £4/bottle or so.

Summer Rain yeah all barry M stuff is at least vegetarian and they have a list on their website of the non-vegan stuff. I dont want chippings though argg.I buy Barry M polishes and usually top it with the OPI stuff so it doesnt chip.

They sell Essie in Superdrug now, it was actually an Essie polish peeling off that prompted me to post haha. I'll check out the Essie one I think! Thanks.

Reactions: SummerRain
I bought some Superdrug Coconut oil for my hair and skin. It already feels nice on my currently very dry skin, I'm hoping it will also work instead of the hair serum I usually buy to tame down the frizz in my hair and keep it smooth. If it can do both, it'll be a cheap and easy option all around.

Otherwise Sun + dry hair/skin = pealing = looking like a snake. :no:

For anyone who likes to use water as a facial cleanser, Pure from the M&S cosmetic range is a fabulous product.

Not only is it gentle, it smells lovely, leaves your face tingling clean and is quite inexpensive at £5 for a tube. I have already used my 1st tube and have bought a 2 nd one which lasts for around 6 months.
I really like their range of make up too and the lipsticks, eye shadows and mascara are also good value for money.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pure-Skincare-Gently-Refreshing-Facial/dp/B002F797RI

I was in Superdrug yesterday and really wanted some of their new makeup. I was very tempted at a lipstick, but chickened out. I wish Id gotten it now.

I've broken three of those B lipsticks now as the tips kept getting knocked off and I'm not buying another one.:fp: I like Urban Decay but I have to work out if their lipsticks are still vegan.

I still use my old lipsticks which are mainly revlon :/ Not sure what I'm going to do when they run out. Most other lipsticks I've tried are crap & I don't like glosses.