UK Vegan Cosmetics

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
Please share your vegan purchases, reviews and recommendations!

Below is a list of companies that make vegan cosmetics/toiletries. Some of them are entirely vegan (not tested on animals and containing no animal products), others carry SOME vegan products and others which contain animal ingredients. Please read the descriptions to see which is which.

Disclaimer: Please beware that unless a company is Leaping Bunny approved or has similar certification, it is only their word that says they are vegan and it has not been independently verified. Bear that in mind when reading the information in the list below.

Read here about the Leaping Bunny logo and what it means.

List of Vegan/Partially Vegan Cosmetic Ranges:

Amie Skincare - Leaping Bunny approved, no animal ingredients. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

Barry M - Not Leaping Bunny approved but no products are animal tested, some contain animal products (beeswax). Click the link for a list. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

Beauty Without Cruelty - Leaping Bunny approved. No animal ingredients.

Blinc - Not Leaping Bunny approved but they do not test on animals or use animal ingredients. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

e.l.f (Eyes, Lips, Face) - Not Leaping Bunny approved, but they do not test on animals and no longer use animal ingredients. They did in the past use beeswax, lanolin etc. so you may find out of date information being discussed on old web pages. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

GOSH - Sold at Superdrug. No items are tested on animals (no Leaping Bunny approval) but many do contain silk, carmine, beeswax etc. E-mail the company for an up-to-date list of vegan products.

Lily Lolo - Leaping Bunny approved. Some products contain beeswax, carmine, lanolin etc. E-mail them for a list of vegan products.

Lush - Not Leaping Bunny approved. Some products not vegan, but all are vegetarian, see a list of vegan products in the link. They do not test on animals. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

M&S - Leaping Bunny approved. Some cosmetics do contain animal products, e-mail them for an up to date list. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

Superdrug's Own Brand - Currently all cosmetics and cleaning products are Leaping Bunny approved, but the parent company is not. Reviews/Recommendations: #1, #2

Urban Decay - Leaping Bunny approved. Some vegan items. See the Vegan section of their website for all suitable products.

Zoya - Not Leaping Bunny approved but they do not test on animals or use animal ingredients in their polishes or nail treatments. Reviews/Recommendations: #1

Reactions: TreeHugger
I use, and like, Superdrug own brand; deodorant, toothpaste and mouthwash (I use the pink one which is for whitening and sensitive teeth), vitamin E night face cream, face wipes (green cucumber one and tea tree ones), tea tree peel off mask, tea tree nose strips (to rid pesky blackheads), salt spray hair product.

I didn't like their shampoo as I have dry/damaged hair from bleaching/straightening/curling and it felt aweful after using and was really hard to brush. The coconut conditioner was nice, was not as moositurising as I would have hoped.

I love love love Barry M- all of a their products are veggie, but not all are vegan so check this list before buying: http://www.barrym.com/fun/animal-friendly/
I really want to try their fake tan!

My favourite face wash is Lush angels on bare skin. It's just perfect!

I usually stick to Barry M for nail paints and mascara, Beauty Without Cruelty and Urban Decay for lipsticks and GOSH for foundation. I have the Lily Lolo face mineral face powder stuff too.

I bought some Barry M lipstick and lip liner at Boots at Gatwick's departure lounge. Both products are
very good value for money.

I also buy most of my other make up from the M&S range which seem really like top end products. I especially
like their rinse off cleanser.

Ohhh yeah, my kind of thread. ;)

The best fake tan is the superdrug solait intense one. Seriously, I used to use all the expensive ones & it's just as good as those (better than some too.)

Snotty, try the e.l.f mascara next! It's better than the Barry M ones. :)

I use urban decay eyeliner and mascara. That's about all the make-up I use, and even then it's not very often :p

I love nail varnishes, though. Zoya nail polishes are totally brilliant <3

Ohhh yeah, my kind of thread. ;)

The best fake tan is the superdrug solait intense one. Seriously, I used to use all the expensive ones & it's just as good as those (better than some too.)

Snotty, try the e.l.f mascara next! It's better than the Barry M ones. :)

I don't know how I forgot to order mascara from e.l.f!

I use Blinc brand mascara. It doesnt smudge or run as it basically coats your lashes in tubes of acrylic. This also means that it cant flake off and irritate my eyes yay! I can now wear contact lenses for like 20 hours before my eyes get irritated. Before, when I wore Barry M mascara, it only took a couple of hours.

http://www.blincuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11 here. the website also does trial sizes.

Im still on the lookout for a good blusher. I'm using one from the Body Shop at the moment. None of their makeup uses cochineal apparently - it was the only brand I could find that didnt. However, obviously, the one I like I got from the discounted range as it was discontinued. argh! The other ones in the full price bit were.... sparkly. when this one runs out im stuffed. lucky i only use blusher for special occasions so itll take ages.

I'm still on the lookout for decent vegan lipbalm. In summer its fine, I just use the superdrug little pink tin or whatever else I can find (currently using one from Oxfam, a brand called the visionary soap company) but as soon as it gets cold they stop working. My lips crack and bleed aaargh, so I have to give up and use Blistex medicated. If I could find a vegan equivilent that worked as well I'd ditch it but all of the vegan ones I find are more for taste rather than actually effective.

I'm still using pre-vegan blush so I haven't tried any yet. What eyeshadow do you use? You can use those as blushers, mix up some pinks/browns to get a shade you like.

I'm also looking for a decent lip balm. The superdrug one is nice enough but does nothing. Currently using coconut oil from Superdrug at the moment on my lips and hands but I hate tubs of things - they're really unhygienic & I am a weirdo about that kind of thing so I need a tube of lip balm. I think some body shop ones might be ok.

I just use Barry M and Beauty without Cruelty.
I got some Urban Decay stuff from a friend who bought it then didnt like it...I cant afford UD myself lol.

I have always used MAC in the past for virtually all my make up and currently. I've heard online that they've changed their animal testing policy to sell in China but can't find their policy online so will have to email... unless anybody else already has?

If so I'm gutted. I buy some Barry M and GOSH but MAC is much better quality, and much better for my sensitive skin for things like foundation. It took me AGES to find a vegan foundation that looked good and suited my skin. I went through a TON of other ones...BWC, Barry M, an urban decay one that turned out not to be vegan because the sales assistant lied, EVERY vegan one from body shop... gosh I don't want to have to do that again. :(

For toiletries I use either co-op or superdrug. Easy peasy. The superdrug shampoo for fine hair is really good. I also use a bodyshop serum because my hair is fine but fly-away and the shampoo alone makes the poofyness worse.

I have always used MAC in the past for virtually all my make up and currently. I've heard online that they've changed their animal testing policy to sell in China but can't find their policy online so will have to email... unless anybody else already has.
Yes, they are now selling in China and so are animal testing. A lot of their stuff has carmine/cochineal/beeswax etc anyway.

Like you I don't think it gets any better than MAC and so I have two drawers full from before I was vegan. It will last me a good many years, it's only stuff like mascara and other liquids that I need to replace with vegan stuff.

Yes, they are now selling in China and so are animal testing. A lot of their stuff has carmine/cochineal/beeswax etc anyway.

Like you I don't think it gets any better than MAC and so I have two drawers full from before I was vegan. It will last me a good many years, it's only stuff like mascara and other liquids that I need to replace with vegan stuff.

I know, I always checked for that stuff. I usually emailed to check, or checked the big book in store.

:( Oh damn this is annoying. Maybe I will check out M&S (and the vegan urban decay items) when the time comes... since I haven't tried them before. This has not improved (my already sour) day.

Does anybody know any perfumes that are vegan too? Just realised my old one is one PETAs animal testing list :(

Lush perfumes, mmmm. :)

M&S makeup has been recommended a few times on this site & I would've had clue about it otherwise. Vv is so helpful! Just waiting until I can get to an M&S & I shall definitely be buying something.

Reactions: SummerRain
I bought M&S bath/shower things for my nan and grandad for Christmas based on VV too :) It's great to see so many big brands like superdrug, co-op and M&S going certified not tested on animals.

I also sent a disappointed (and, in places, a little childish) email to MAC which helped me feel better :p

I bought M&S bath/shower things for my nan and grandad for Christmas based on VV too :) It's great to see so many big brands like superdrug, co-op and M&S going certified not tested on animals.

I also sent a disappointed (and, in places, a little childish) email to MAC which helped me feel better :p

Let's all spread the word.:up: