How do you define vegan skincare/cosmetics

TVS

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
Hi dear vegans,

I would like to know how you define vegan cosmetics.

I am doing research for my site on the actual definition of vegan skincare/cosmetics.

What is shocking is that different stakeholders define the term "vegan" differently when it comes to cosmetics. Some stakeholders claim vegan skincare can be tested on animals as the term only refers to ingredients... To me as a vegan that is ludicrous...

So, how do you define vegan skincare?

Ideally, if you answer you can note where you are from since I think that affects the perception a little bit too.

Thank you so much

yes its true,
the generally accepted definition of vegan skincare (also cosmetics and household products) are products that don't contain any animal products.

Cruelty Free goes above and beyond vegan. No animal testing.

I don't think all vegan products are cruelty free. but I think most vegans want their products to be both.

More than ever, compassionate companies are choosing to make their products without testing on animals. And we love them for it! For people looking to cut all animal-derived items out of their life, vegan cosmetics are the way to go. Cruelty-free means that the product was developed without any tests on animals, while vegan means that the product does not include any animal-derived ingredients.​

While both “vegan” and “cruelty-free” are positive steps forward in the beauty industry, they are not synonymous.​

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
PETA has recently started to shift the language they use and drop the term "cruelty-free" since clearly, it is cruel to use ingredients that are from animals.

Vegan as a term in any other industry clearly refers to products that do not cause animal harm or exploit animals. It's beyond me why people seem to accept using the term to refer to something that causes massive harm to animals in animal testing.

I think brands that use vegan label to refer only to ingredients are participating in green-washing.

Im willing to go so far as to say that NO vegan would want to buy "vegan" products that have been tested on animals

PETA has recently started to shift the language they use and drop the term "cruelty-free" since clearly, it is cruel to use ingredients that are from animals.

I have not seen that.
PETA clearly distinguishes between "Vegan" and cruelty free. (1)

They do seem to be leaining more on the "Beauty without Bunnies program which requires products to be both Vegan and Cruelty free (2)
Im willing to go so far as to say that NO vegan would want to buy "vegan" products that have been tested on animals

Maybe it's safe to assume that. Seems like even many non-vegans want cruelty free products - even if they are not vegan.

1 - Why does PETA include companies in the cruelty-free company section that utilize animal-derived ingredients or byproducts? | PETA
2 - PETA's 'Global Beauty Without Bunnies' Program | PETA.

Actually in the beauty without bunnies program the labels used to be "cruelty-free" and "cruelty-free and vegan". They have since changed the language to "animal-test free" & "animal-test free and vegan". Source "Previously the certifications were called cruelty-free and cruelty-free and vegan. In 2020 to make it clearer to consumers PETA renamed the labels to animal test-free and animal test-free & vegan."

Also, the actual beauty without bunnies page has changed the language to state

"But how do you know which companies and brands don’t test on animals and which ones are cruelty-free (animal test–free and vegan)?"

"Global animal test–free and vegan recognizes companies and brands that meet the same requirements and whose entire product line is free of animal-derived ingredients. These companies are truly cruelty-free."

So they are definitely improving the definitions

• Informative
Reactions: Lou