Trader Joe's

:p
So I was shopping in TJ's today...they have food display racks positioned several feet from the checkout aisles. I was halfway through my shopping when I stopped my cart at one of the racks to check out what was on display. This was directly in front of one of the checkout aisles. The cashier stationed at that checkout apparently didn't have any customers, and saw me standing there in front of the checkout aisle. I guess I looked kinda dazed because she rushed over and started to grab my cart and said "Here, I'll get you started." I woke up from my daze pretty quickly and said "Oh, no! I'm not done!" She apologized and scurried away. I like eager and helpful employees, but she was a little TOO eager and helpful. :p

Nice thing about TJ's is that even the customers are helpful. I was trying to lift a large, heavy case of drinking water into my shopping cart, and a tall dude who wasn't an employee saw me and immediately rushed over to help me. That was nice of him. :p

All the TJ employees are always on the watch out looking to help customers and help through the checking out process. You always spot them a mile away with their Hawaiian shirts and shorts and lovely broad smile.

I love TJ's.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
:p

All the TJ employees are always on the watch out looking to help customers and help through the checking out process. You always spot them a mile away with their Hawaiian shirts and shorts and lovely broad smile.

I love TJ's.

:yes: I love that there's no conveyer belt to load, requiring customers to constantly lift a lot of items from their cart to the belt, including heavy items that it took a lot to load INTO the cart. At TJ's, the cashiers just pull everything directly out from the cart to scan. No conveyor belt. Let them do the heavy work! (Some customers may not be physically able to do a lot of loading onto the conveyor belt, so having the cashier pull everything from the cart is probably a godsend for them.)

:yes: I love that there's no conveyer belt to load, requiring customers to constantly lift a lot of items from their cart to the belt, including heavy items that it took a lot to load INTO the cart. At TJ's, the cashiers just pull everything directly out from the cart to scan. No conveyor belt. Let them do the heavy work! (Some customers may not be physically able to do a lot of loading onto the conveyor belt, so having the cashier pull everything from the cart is probably a godsend for them.)

I vaguely remember when all stores used to do this, many decades ago.

If you ask them not to put the conveyor belt on they should be able to do so. Overhere the co staff are not allowed to pick up heavy items. Even coach drivers will not handle your heavy suitcases when loading them onto the coach. It is always a struggle as you get all the pax trying to load and unload their cases.

The service on National Express coach service in the UK is much better as the driver loads and unloads and you don't get all the pushing and suitcases that get stolen.

I wonder if it is a good job to have? There is one opening here next year and I think I might apply.

I wonder if it is a good job to have? There is one opening here next year and I think I might apply.

Why not? Do it. You never know. But remember, you have to have a cheerful and helpful attitude. Seriously, that's what TJ's employees (called crew members) are known for.

If you ask them not to put the conveyor belt on they should be able to do so. Overhere the co staff are not allowed to pick up heavy items. Even coach drivers will not handle your heavy suitcases when loading them onto the coach. It is always a struggle as you get all the pax trying to load and unload their cases.

Over in the US, some co-ops will require you to empty your basket or cart (if you're able, of course). They are trying to minimize repetitive stress injuries to cashiers.

TJ's is the only grocery I've been to that doesn't require putting items on the conveyor. The checkouts aren't laid out to accommodate doing it differently, either.

At Costco they do ask that large/heavy items are left in the cart, and they just scan them there, but their checkouts are designed to accommodate this.

The TJ's here in Napoli has been insanely busy now that all the "snowbirds" are flocking back. Their carts are filled with cases of wine and not much else....

And I agree with the TJ's employees always being pleasant so it must be a decent company to work for. I would have lost it by now if I worked at the one here and had to deal with all the "winter visitors". Some visitors are nice but most I find to be rude and obnoxious. Sad, really...

The TJ's here in Napoli has been insanely busy now that all the "snowbirds" are flocking back. Their carts are filled with cases of wine and not much else....

And I agree with the TJ's employees always being pleasant so it must be a decent company to work for. I would have lost it by now if I worked at the one here and had to deal with all the "winter visitors". Some visitors are nice but most I find to be rude and obnoxious. Sad, really...

That is awful. I don't know why so many people have to be rude to shop assistants or anyone that is assisting them.
This is also my daily work load as I have to deal with customers over the phone. We do get 'normal' ones but the rude ones make me want to shout !

That is awful. I don't know why so many people have to be rude to shop assistants or anyone that is assisting them.
This is also my daily work load as I have to deal with customers over the phone. We do get 'normal' ones but the rude ones make me want to shout !

They are not just rude to the workers. They are rude to everyone, cut you off while driving, cut in line at the store, I could go on and on. I cringe every time I see a vehicle with an out of state plate. Just waiting to be smashed into....

I'm sorry you have to deal with crazies. I am sure there are times you would love to reach through the phone....

They are not just rude to the workers. They are rude to everyone, cut you off while driving, cut in line at the store, I could go on and on. I cringe every time I see a vehicle with an out of state plate. Just waiting to be smashed into....

I'm sorry you have to deal with crazies. I am sure there are times you would love to reach through the phone....

They sound like our locals ! I was threatened by a neighbour the other day. He wanted to kick my pet and me at the same time.

Concerning the loonies that call in, they never get the best advice. It always pays to be nice and polite when you
call CS.

I went to TJ's for my usual bi-weekly grocery shopping trip. I got some of my usual items, and splurged on some new and seasonal treats: Gingerbread coffee, Cinnamon Vanilla black tea, Candy Cane green tea, organic coconut sugar, and raw cashew meal (which should make cashew-based cream sauces much easier.

I saw both the stuffed turkey roasts and a TJ's version of Tofurky for sale. I considered getting the roasts, but they seemed a bit high calorie for my usual diet. I do like that they carry crispy chicken tenders though, which are Gardein brand in disguise.

Reactions: KLS52
I LOVE that Candy Cane tea! May have to make a lunch break trip to TJ's tomorrow and wade through the Q-Tips with their cases of wine just to get a box of that tea...

No offense to Q-Tips, I'm not tooooooo far behind you.... :p

I LOVE that Candy Cane tea! May have to make a lunch break trip to TJ's tomorrow and wade through the Q-Tips with their cases of wine just to get a box of that tea...

No offense to Q-Tips, I'm not tooooooo far behind you.... :p

Did I ever give you some of that tea in a package exchange? I know i sure thought about it many a time.

This came in an email dated today (August 19, 2014)

TJLOGO.png

RECALL NOTICE
August 19, 2014

To Our Valued Customers:

We have been alerted by our supplier of Trader Joe's Raw Almond Butters that there is a possibility that product with the specified date codes may be contaminated with Salmonella:

(SKU 91989) Raw Crunchy Unsalted Almond Butter [USE BY 28DEC14 thru 18JUN15]

(SKU 56995) Raw Creamy Unsalted Almond Butter [USE BY 27DEC14 thru 18JUL15]

In accordance with our stringent health and safety standards, and as an extreme precaution, all of the potentially affected product has been removed from sale and destroyed.

Customers who have purchased any of these items with the specified code dates are urged to not eat them and to dispose of them or return them to any Trader Joe’s for a full refund.

No other Trader Joe's products are included in this recall.

Customers with questions may contact Trader Joe's Customer Relations at (626) 599-3817 [Monday through Friday, 6:00 am to 6:00 pm Pacific Time].

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.