Health among Seniors

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I live in an Independent Senior building, so I see the number of wheelchairs, walkers, motorized scooters, and amputations among this group.

I have ended up a recipient of lots of free food that is directed toward seniors. We get a monthly box of local gourmet foods from local suppliers; paid for through grants from the State of Wisconsin. Local food banks have no income restrictions, so anyone can get free food. I don't go over to the food banks because they don't let you choose, and I would end up with pizza, cheese, meat, eggs, milk, etc. 90% of the products are of no use to me. I leave the animal product items from the Badger Box in the community room freezers for others who want it.

What confuses me is that all of these infirm seniors are leaving behind all of the good, healthy products, and taking every bad, unhealthy item. I have bags of gourmet organic rice, wild rice, and bean blends from an online store that supplies high end stores and restaurants. I have about 20 bags of the stuff that was left behind in the community room. The same for these dried gourmet organic beans from a small local producer. Put out a bag of cheap white rice, and they snap it up. I have unwanted cans of black, cannellini, and black eyed peas all the way to the back of my cabinet.

When people go over to the food bank, I will check out the community room freezer, fridge, and tables to check out the unwanted items. Large bags of frozen carrots, peas, asparagus, etc. 2 lb. bags of almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Whole grain breads and rolls from local high end bakeries. All of it sits out there until I come and get it.

They snap up cereals like Trix and Captain Crunch, but leave behind organic oatmeal.

I would estimate that more than 50% of the building is disabled; which I think is a lot, since many of these people are relatively young. A lot of the disabled are in their 60's and 70's.

If anyone would want to do research on the affects of diet on health, then check out an elderly facility and see which group is disabled, and which isn't

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
The flip side.
While eating heathy all your life could make you healthy and live longer, if you haven't, then what is the point of starting when you are old and sick.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
The flip side.
While eating heathy all your life could make you healthy and live longer, if you haven't, then what is the point of starting when you are old and sick.

I know, but I was trying to show the long term effects of eating an unhealthy diet. The healthy elderly people probably ate a healthy diet all their life. The infirm and disabled Captain Crunch, white bread, and pizza group probably ate that way all their lives. And we can see those long term effects when they are mentally and physically disabled in their 60's and 70's.

I know, but I was trying to show the long term effects of eating an unhealthy diet. The healthy elderly people probably ate a healthy diet all their life. The infirm and disabled Captain Crunch, white bread, and pizza group probably ate that way all their lives. And we can see those long term effects when they are mentally and physically disabled in their 60's and 70's.
Oh, no. I wasn't disputing you. just brought up the other side of the coin.

I'm retired now and a lot of my retired friends have a whole host of health issues. Some of them are just now being "forced" into healthier lifestyles.

It isn't easy, but people can improve their health at any stage of life.

A facebook friend of mine who is into the WFPB vegan thing got her 90 something father to start eating like that when he moved in with her. He lost a lot of weight, improved all sorts of markers, and felt much better.

Diet is an emotional thing. I've seen a lot of articles over the years that people like to stick with familiar foods, even if they times are hard and there is easy to get unfamiliar food to be had.

I am happy to read that you are able to get more than enough rice and legumes.

Reactions: Lou
Oh, no. I wasn't disputing you. just brought up the other side of the coin.

I'm retired now and a lot of my retired friends have a whole host of health issues. Some of them are just now being "forced" into healthier lifestyles.

About 3 months ago,I signed up for a government health study with the NIH. In depth DNA study for genetic markers for a variety of genetic diseases, urine samples checking for pesticides, and long term health tracking. It should be interesting. They share all my results with me.

They emailed me today to offer me a free FitBit, so I can input my diet. They will pay the yearly charges. It will, also, continuously track my heart and oxygen levels. It will do BP, ECG, and monitor my sleep levels.

The FitBit seems to have a bunch of health monitoring stuff, so I am really happy to be one of the few that got the offer.

• Love
Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
It's fascinating how food choices impact health, especially among seniors. I've seen a similar trend at my grandma's place. She always goes for the healthier options, and it's surprising to hear about others favoring less nutritious choices. Reminds me of a chat I had with a dietitian during a hospital visit. We discussed the importance of balanced diets for seniors. Speaking of it, I found this insightful piece on hospital management and its role in promoting wellness: https://fortismedicalbilling.com/hospital/. Check it out sometime; it might connect some dots.

Last edited:
I had to gradually train myself to like a lot of plant-based foods and healthy foods and I still eat a lot of fried stuff and refined stuff. I'm quite healthy considering but it isn't easy to change because healthy foods don't taste as exciting as unhealthy foods. I understand completely why people would choose a refined cereal over organic oatmeal, the latter would be totally indigestable to me.

Similar.

My family never put energy into vegetables when I was growing up.

I didn't start getting into serious vegetables until I went away to college. A really good Chinese takeout place helped me learn to like broccoli via their vegetarian fried rice.