The Vegetarian Society

T

thinman

The Bible Christian Church was founded in 1809 in Salford by Reverend William Cowherd after a split from the Swedenborgians. One distinctive feature of the Bible Christians was a belief in a meat-free diet, or ovo-lacto vegetarianism, as a form of temperance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_(virtue)

I was doing a search some years ago on Vegetarianism in the West and found this interesting since I'm from Salford, born in Manchester then lived in the Salford slums from age 7 to 20. back then I ate meat but my mum was a single parent with 3 of us and meat was very little through the 60's. School provided free milk but I wasn't into drinking it.
I was a hippie art student from '67 to '72 at Salford Tech. and Vegetarianism was a bit popular with friends partly coz of (traditional) Yoga coming about and Hari Krishna.

We emigrated to Ontario Canada November '72 the day after my 20th birthday and a way to meet people I joined a Sivananda Yoga school and was Vegetarian for a while. '78 I moved to the West Coast Vancouver where Vegetarianism was much more. I was on and off over the years and 2015 right into Yoga here in London Ontario and many Vegan and Vegetarians friends.

2017 I was 100% Vegan for 6 months then slacked off, nowadays still keep what I've learnt mainly Vegetarian but also somewhat Flexitarian.

• Informative
Reactions: Blues and Lou