The Thanksgiving Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have to crash your party, Poppy. ;) All of that sounds wonderful.

Reactions: Poppy
Poppy, your menu is fabulous!

Reactions: Poppy
I like both the Tofurky and Gardein holiday roasts. I think the Gardein one is a bit better. I hope to find that at Target again this year for our "private" feast. My sister usually does a traditional Thanksgiving and there are always plenty of veg options. However, this year her BIL's fiance wants to host at their new house and she doesn't know how to cook so will be serving a "nacho bar." We all think this is weird! :D

Some good-looking menus! :)

I plan on doing something again this year. Probably just a simple vegan "turkey" roast with mash, carrots, and greens. Then a pie for dessert. Plus beer and a 49ers game :p

Reactions: PTree15
I meant is it tasty? Other tofurky products are awesome. I was looking for gardein holiday roast, but no place came up local in the search while I was at the store.
(asking about a Tofurkey) I bought and cooked a Tofurkey for a ThanksLiving potluck last year or the year before- I think it was the year before. I liked it, and there was very little left over, even though there was a LOT of food. I remember the cooking instructions suggested roasting some potatoes, onions, and carrots along with it, but I was travelling about 2 miles on foot and didn't want to have to carry a huge load- I cooked it by itself beforehand, refrigerated it, and reheated it when I got there.

Quite nice, but a bit too much for me to eat by myself. The potluck was a perfect excuse to try it! I'd been wanting to try one for quite some time, and had liked their "Tofurkey Slices" as a sandwich, although their slices were a bit different.

My meal, tomorrow because of work.
Kale salad with cranberries, almonds and tahini dressing
Roasted b sprouts, fingerling potatoes with the vegan magic bacon stuff
Tofurky
Crescent rolls
Apple pie
Pumpkin cheese pie

Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
My brother decided to host. No idea what he is putting on the menu but he is a good cook, and tends to follow a whole-food "clean" diet so I know whatever he makes will be real, not processed junk. He also is known for trying a lot of plant-based recipes. He used to be vegetarian many years ago. Suffice to say, while I am sure it won't be a veg*n menu, at least I know I will have choices that will taste good.

RG.png

Is this ok, or should I have not got it?
Tofurkey has changed their packaging. It used to say vegan, now it says "Vegetarian, and also "Plant-based Flexitarian Approved", whatever that may mean.

I was ticked off, tbh. I bought the Gardein instead.

I might get a Gardeien also and do a taste test, as the tofurky is so tiny.

If you haven't tried the Gardein yet I think you will be pleased. It's quite good. Assuming you like other Gardein products.

I love Vegetarian Plus products. They had a roast but it was $27 and I didn't want to spend that kind of money and chance not liking it. The Gardein is $14.

My brother decided to host. No idea what he is putting on the menu but he is a good cook, and tends to follow a whole-food "clean" diet so I know whatever he makes will be real, not processed junk. He also is known for trying a lot of plant-based recipes. He used to be vegetarian many years ago. Suffice to say, while I am sure it won't be a veg*n menu, at least I know I will have choices that will taste good.
He just sent an e-mail with his proposed menu:

Mushroom pot pie (using my recipe, I presume)
mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy
roasted Brussels sprouts
roasted carrots, squash, parsnips, sweet potatoes
cranberry sauce
stuffing
"mystery dessert" (Knowing him, it will include pumpkin)

My marinara sauce is done and vegan lasagna is assembled complete with bechamel sauce. Platter is assembled with hummus, tabouli, olives , chickpea salad, marinated mushrooms; sweet potatoes are pre-baked and ready to be candied; mashed potatoes are done; stuffing is prepared; brussel sprouts are prepped; lemon bars are in the oven!

Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
Tofurkey isn't good. I would rather have vegan ham than that. Having Gardein

Status
Not open for further replies.