The Thanksgiving Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anybody has developed a nice Turkey replacement for thanksgiving? Usually I just do roasted portabella mushrooms....but want to try something new.

Just curious if anybody has developed a nice Turkey replacement for thanksgiving? Usually I just do roasted portabella mushrooms....but want to try something new.

I was going to recommend meat replacements. But...

What country are you located in? I don't want to recommend something that you can't get locally.

Reactions: Scorpius
I try something different each year. I usually have a lot of different dishes rather than one centerpiece, especislly ones I can make ahead of time.

I do stuffed acorn squash every year, the orange ones if possible, halved with cornbread stuffing, mushrooms, chopped apples, etc.

This year I am going to make this; it will be the first time. :) Recipe Page | Plant-Powered Kitchen
6bdb580e137b8f615be6c3c9fa445f7b.jpg

Some great ideas here:
Vegan Thanksgiving and Christmas Recipes

Reactions: KLS52
:D

US, California.

Oh, a fellow Californian. :D

Well, there is this:
th

Which I've never tried.

And this:
th

Which I HAVE tried, and liked.

There is also this:

Three Sisters Stew
Recipe By :Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (Potter)
Serving Size : 6
Categories : Vegan

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups brown or cremini mushrooms
3 cups oyster mushrooms
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 garlic cloves -- minced or pressed (2-4)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons dried dill -- (1 tablespoon fresh)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 butternut or other winter squash -- peeled, seeded,
cubed
(2 pounds or about 6 cups, cubed)
1 red bell pepper -- seeded, coarsely chopped
2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 cups cooked kidney beans
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Salt
Ground black pepper -- to taste
1 tablespoon cornmeal

1. Wash the mushrooms with as little water as possible. Quarter the brown
mushrooms. Trim the bottom(s) of the oyster mushroom clump(s) and gently pull
them apart into smaller bite-sized clusters. Set aside.

2. In a covered soup pot on low heat, saute the onions and garlic in the oil,
stirring often, until the onions are translucent. Add the dill and thyme and
cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the squash, bell peppers, brown
mushrooms, water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until squash is tender,
about 3 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the corn and beans. When the stew returns to a simmer, add the oyster
mushrooms, vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cornmeal and simmer,
stirring often, until the broth is thickened. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Source:
" Riverside Press Enterprise 1998-10-21 "
S(Archive):
" Pat Hanneman (kitpath) on 01-14-2003 "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 316 Calories; 3g Fat (7.2% calories from
fat); 13g Protein; 69g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 31mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : The title of this recipe refers to the American Indian tradition of referring to corn, beans and squash -- which were commonly grown together and were considered the three most important Native American crops - as the three sisters.

I've had this and it's terrific. My sister has made it. It's a great fall dish and perfect for Thanksgiving. It's a good entree for veg*ans and makes a good side dish for omnis. Please note my sister told me after she made it the first time that she used too much water and it thinned the stew out so much it was more like soup. If you like it that consistency, then use plenty of water. If not, cut down on the water, or vegetable stock, or add more veggies and cornmeal.

I'm bringing the salad to Thanksgiving dinner, so there will actually be something for me to eat (besides maybe crappy bread). I'm planning on making a traditional Greek salad-tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and pepper slices lightly tossed with olive oil. And I'll bring a bag of iceburg lettuce salad mix for my father, who wouldn't touch a "fancy" type salad if his life depended on it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Amy SF
I try something different each year. I usually have a lot of different dishes rather than one centerpiece, especislly ones I can make ahead of time.
I do a lot of dishes as well but I'm almost always cooking for people that are use to eating a turkey so not having a centerpiece, that is a turkey replacement, can make it even stranger for them. I like to make thanksgiving as traditional as possible...which is pretty easy except for the turkey!

I've had this and it's terrific. My sister has made it. It's a great fall dish and perfect for Thanksgiving. It's a good entree for veg*ans and makes a good side dish for omnis.
That sounds good but I'm specifically looking for something to make as a centerpiece that goes good with gravy....I should have been more clear on that. I know there are some mock meats that can be used for this but I don't personally eat them and from my experience they don't go over well with people that eat meat. I've tried some legume based loafs in the past but I've yet to come up with one that is truly delicious.

I do a lot of dishes as well but I'm almost always cooking for people that are use to eating a turkey so not having a centerpiece, that is a turkey replacement, can make it even stranger for them. I like to make thanksgiving as traditional as possible...which is pretty easy except for the turkey!

That sounds good but I'm specifically looking for something to make as a centerpiece that goes good with gravy....I should have been more clear on that. I know there are some mock meats that can be used for this but I don't personally eat them and from my experience they don't go over well with people that eat meat. I've tried some legume based loafs in the past but I've yet to come up with one that is truly delicious.

Nut roasts taste fabulous and are very easy to make.

How to cook the perfect nut roast | Life and style | The Guardian

I just found out I have to cook for a late Thanksgiving for 6 people. So far the requests are bustles sprouts, some sort of pumpkin dish and stuffing. I am a bit nervous at the endeavor. I need to come up with inexpensive, simple and tasty recipes. I already said NO turkey will be involved.

Reactions: Amy SF
I just found out I have to cook for a late Thanksgiving for 6 people. So far the requests are bustles sprouts, some sort of pumpkin dish and stuffing. I am a bit nervous at the endeavor. I need to come up with inexpensive, simple and tasty recipes. I already said NO turkey will be involved.

I gather that the guests are omnis ! You could always make some kind of nut roast or chestnut and stuffing roulade with pastry.

Vegan Thanksgiving, Best Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes | Food & Wine

:confused:

All of it. I have made the roast before and it was gone, everyone loved it. A bread (canned), two sides, the roast and the cheesecake. I hope this goes well and I am not over doing it.

Reactions: KLS52
All of it. I have made the roast before and it was gone, everyone loved it. A bread (canned), two sides, the roast and the cheesecake. I hope this goes well and I am not over doing it.

It does sound delicious. I don't often make seitan as it is a bit messy and quite long to make.

I hope the guests enjoy your dinner and appreciate the effort that you have made.:)

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Status
Not open for further replies.