Suggestions for the cheap vegan

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am trying to lower my grocery bill. I have no shortage of money. It is more of a social experiment.

I currently pay:
2lb rice for $1.50
1lb lentils for $1.50
16oz Salad Dressing for $1.50
On large can spaghetti sauce for $1

I am not sure how to make salad dressing for under $1.50.
I am also thinking about making my own quick bread because whole wheat flower is 5lb for $2.50.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lower my food bill to an even lower lever. I estimate that I spend about $1 a day to feed myself. But, I am on a diet because my evil doctor wants me to lose weight due to my high blood pressure. When I return to a 2,000 calorie diet, I expect to pay closer to $2 a day.

I have a vague memory of my dad going vegan before he died. I completely forgot this until a couple weeks ago. In any event, he was spending $0.50 a day. Plus, he said that he was eating healthy.

I would consider dumpster diving at grocery stores to save money. But, my wife would get very upset. Still, any meat retrieved from the dumpster would be vegan in my opinion. Nevertheless, meat attracts flies and cockroaches. Thus, I do not want it in my home even if it is free.

Please give me your suggestions.

Reactions: Luis Halson
What are your parameters for this experiment?
I mean tomatoes seem a typical dumpster dive or food drive food, and you could make your own sauce
Are you taking into account food drives? You would do wise to volunteer:
I keep posting that and have yet to do it myself :fp:.

Grow some food?

so much inexpensive food is whole plants--I buy most beans at under a dollar a pound. I just learned that if you buy conventional they can be sprayed after harvest with glycophates (sp). It's best to soak no longer than 4-5 hours and rinse to help rid them of the chemical before cooking

Anyway. Try keeping to whole foods. Where do you shop?

Reactions: beancounter and Hog
I am trying to lower my grocery bill. I have no shortage of money. It is more of a social experiment.

I currently pay:
2lb rice for $1.50
1lb lentils for $1.50

I am also thinking about making my own quick bread because whole wheat flower is 5lb for $2.50.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lower my food bill to an even lower lever. I estimate that I spend about $1 a day to feed myself. But, I am on a diet because my evil doctor wants me to lose weight due to my high blood pressure. When I return to a 2,000 calorie diet, I expect to pay closer to $2 a day.

I have a vague memory of my dad going vegan before he died. I completely forgot this until a couple weeks ago. In any event, he was spending $0.50 a day. Plus, he said that he was eating healthy.

I would consider dumpster diving at grocery stores to save money. But, my wife would get very upset. Still, any meat retrieved from the dumpster would be vegan in my opinion. Nevertheless, meat attracts flies and cockroaches. Thus, I do not want it in my home even if it is free.

Smart & Final sells 50-pound bags of pinto beans for $37: https://www.smartandfinal.com/shop/product/first-street-pinto-beans/679699

$2 for a 10-pound bag of russet potatoes: Russet Potato Bag

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog

Hey, Hog. Are you trying to cast aspersions here? ;)

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap." Dolly Parton.

Roger.

Reactions: Hog
What about making your own salad dressing? Many vinaigrette type dressings would be very inexpensive to make. Even a simple oil & vinegar dressing would be pretty cheap. I'm still not sure if you could make it for less that $1.50 though. That's already pretty cheap.

I make my own caesar dressing all the time and for a large salad it is definitely less than a dollar as it is about 1/4 cup of hummus, 2 tsp capers and juice, some mustard, 1 tsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp lemon juice (I use it from a bottle), some garlic powder, pepper and a bit of salt.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I think you're getting a terrific price on rice and lentils. However, I usually get those in bulk at a local health food store- and they generally sell only organic, which costs more. I'd have to double-check, because I think I got conventionally-grown dry Navy beans on my last visit, and they were more than $1.50/lb. Rice and dry legumes are definitely less expensive at my local grocery chain (Price Chopper). Besides the health food store's stuff being organically grown, I also like to avoid using disposable plastic bags- and P.C. doesn't sell legumes in bulk. And of course, convenience foods of any sort (e.g., "TV Dinners") are ridiculously expensive.

I don't have a problem with dumpster diving in principle, UNLESS there are doubts about how sanitary the food might (or might not) be.

As far as I know, the main ingredients of salad dressing (vinaigrette, anyway) are oil and vinegar, with various other things added for Green Goddess, Russian, etc. If I put anything on salad, I just use a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil and the juice of a lemon or lime.

Rose at Cheap Lazy Vegan on Youtube did a similar experiment a couple of weeks ago where she shopped at the Dollar Store in one episode and then made meals from the haul in another. It was pretty interesting and she did a great job. For a vegan on a budget it is possible to eat cheaply and somewhat healthily for a small amount of money.

Emma JC

Hey, Hog. Are you trying to cast aspersions here? ;)

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap." Dolly Parton.

Roger.
I am just a simple hog. Most of the people here have much more class than me.

plural noun: aspersions
  1. an attack on the reputation or integrity of someone or something

What are your parameters for this experiment?
I mean tomatoes seem a typical dumpster dive or food drive food, and you could make your own sauce
Are you taking into account food drives? You would do wise to volunteer:
I keep posting that and have yet to do it myself :fp:.

Grow some food?

so much inexpensive food is whole plants--I buy most beans at under a dollar a pound. I just learned that if you buy conventional they can be sprayed after harvest with glycophates (sp). It's best to soak no longer than 4-5 hours and rinse to help rid them of the chemical before cooking

Anyway. Try keeping to whole foods. Where do you shop?
Realistically, I do not have time to volunteer in exchange for food. I shop at any place other than Walmart. I shop mostly at Fry’s. However, I make stops at all of the stores in search of sales. I do not shop at Whole Foods because everything looks expensive. I can not have a garden because I live in an apartment in the desert.

This is not as much about the money as trying an experiment. (Maybe it is about the money. But, I do t think so.).

I think about how people live in third world countries. A huge percent of their money goes towards food. If they can eat cheaply, then why can’t I do the same thing.

On a broader sense, we in the United States seem to live in a land of abundance. Yet, many of us feel broke. Thus, I am re-examining my life style and asking what is truly valuable.

I know this post is way off topic at this point. But, I went to Denny’s about 6 months ago. It was the only time that I have been in a sit down restaurant in the last 4 years if my memory is correct. I saw people leaving half finished food on their plates. It was a hideous waste. I contemplated getting the plates to eat myself rather than throwing the stuff out.

In the US food is often the only expense what I guess I'd call lower middle class folks can control.
When I first moved on my own I worked in restaurants, when you were able to eat free and take home leftover food. I bought almost no groceries other than coffee.
When I married we lived off pinto beans, potatoes, rice and frozen veggies.
I've been better off the last couple decades, and food is the one expense I can control when I have expenses, and why I've always kept a stash of dried beans and legumes, pasta, tomato products, cartoned soy milk, frozen produce, dry goods and some cans. I've been able to go a couple weeks without shopping. I've also been fortunate with overtime.

Anyway, it varies more about location than individual items. In too many urban areas good produce can be hard to find, and with jacked up prices. Food giveaways are an invaluable resource, as is the WIC program.
Food stamps, in Ohio at least, are doubled when used at farmers markets

I currently pay:
2lb rice for $1.50
1lb lentils for $1.50

Congratulations on changing your diet and embarking on a personal challenge despite that you can pay for better food. However,
What is you priority, being cheap or being healthy?. While you take pride in consuming lower priced plant foods, you are
consuming the "conventional" foods which are likely sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, glyphosate (known to cause digestive
problems), and are probably genetically-modified (GMO). Organic produce, grains, beans, and nuts are known to have more nutrition
than conventional, are from healthier soil and are not sprayed with chemicals that have negative health side-effects. Even Walmart
sells large bags of conventional rice and beans, but brown rice has more fiber and nutrition than white rice, and sweet potatoes more
nutrition than white potatoes. Just something to be aware of.
I saw an interesting documentary on Youtube by a couple who pledged to only consume donated food for 6 months. They dumpster dove in many places and also got few donations from some friends. They actually had more food than they could eat, it surely is a shame so much edible food is thrown away. They dumpster dove late at night and even found an entire dumpster filled with hummus, and in another they found several boxes of organic imported chocolate.
I myself have seen a dumpster that had enough food in it to feed a family of 4 for a month. One day I even saw several packages of expensive coleman beef products in the dumpster. Just be careful that refrigerated or frozen foods are still cold when you find them. Things often get tossed when they are old, or a new shipment has arrived. If your wife could see the incredible waste of food in dumpsters, she might come around to retrieving them. Make sure the food is edible so you do not get sick. Yes, I have retrieved some food from dumpsters, potatoes, popcorn, bakery goods, produce, and shared them with others who could benefit.
The average American Adult spends about $170 a week on food, that includes eating out and other food/drink consumed. That means some humans spend much less than $100 a week, and some spend $250 a week on food. Many humans say vegan food is "expensive", but this is not true, especially when someone eats lots of produce and bulk items like rice, beans and nuts. Plus, its' much healthier than eating the standard american diet (s.a.d.) and that lowers disease-care costs and lost time at work. Most packaged salad dressings are loaded with fatty oil, sodium, and cheap ingredients. They can add calories to your meal when you are trying to lose weight. Learn to make your own if you need salad dressing, or use lemon juice.
How to lower your cost? think about being healthy, not just filling your stomach. You need vegetables, leafy greens, fruit, and other foods for their nutrition besides beans and rice. Buying in bulk however is the least expensive way to eat. And, some of us believe soaking grains and beans overnight and rinsing before cooking creates enzymes and more nutrition for your dollar., cheers.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Hog
In the US food is often the only expense what I guess I'd call lower middle class folks can control.
When I first moved on my own I worked in restaurants, when you were able to eat free and take home leftover food. I bought almost no groceries other than coffee.
When I married we lived off pinto beans, potatoes, rice and frozen veggies.
I've been better off the last couple decades, and food is the one expense I can control when I have expenses, and why I've always kept a stash of dried beans and legumes, pasta, tomato products, cartoned soy milk, frozen produce, dry goods and some cans. I've been able to go a couple weeks without shopping. I've also been fortunate with overtime.

Anyway, it varies more about location than individual items. In too many urban areas good produce can be hard to find, and with jacked up prices. Food giveaways are an invaluable resource, as is the WIC program.
Food stamps, in Ohio at least, are doubled when used at farmers markets
What does it mean to double food stamps when used at farmer’s markets?

Reactions: David3
I make my own caesar dressing all the time and for a large salad it is definitely less than a dollar as it is about 1/4 cup of hummus, 2 tsp capers and juice, some mustard, 1 tsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp lemon juice (I use it from a bottle), some garlic powder, pepper and a bit of salt.

Emma JC
The problem is that I need artery clogging oil in my salad dressing.

Thank God being vegan doesn’t mean that I need to eat healthy.

How long ago was that? If it was years ago you can't really compare prices.

Use a free account at cronometer.com.

It will compute all of the nutrition you have taken in, including tracking sodium.

The Mayo Clinic recommends that everyone try limit their sodium intake to 1500 mg a day.

Basically, you can eat one things out of package per day and stay within that limit.

Bread ( bagels are the worst ) and sauces are a large "hidden" source of sodium.

You may want to make your own sauces and salad dressing. "The Saucy Vegetarian" by Joanne Stepaniak is a great book in that regard. All of the recipes are vegan. You can simply choose to use none of or less of the ingredients that contain sodium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
I would find some food banks to help out getting things. I would wait for things you like on sale.

No insult intended, I am just making a point. He said money isn't an issue for him, he is doing an experiment for fun. A lot of people are hurting right now and actually need the food banks. Food banks don't have limited supplies. Anything he takes from a food bank is something someone else can't have. Again, no disrespect or insult meant. I'm just making a point.

Reactions: silva and Emma JC
You likely already know this, but the biggest factor in the cost of a diet is how much of your food you make yourself.

Prepared foods, packaged foods, and eating out drive up the cost of your diet.

The cheapest groceries:

* "dollar store" legumes, pasta, peanut butter ( only get unsalted, unsweetened ) and frozen vegetables
* sunflower seeds are amazingly cheap. They are an extremely good source of vitamin E, zinc, selenium, and other minerals. I would bet that
sunflower seeds ( get dry roasted, unsalted in supermarkets ) are also the easiest way to get these hard to get nutrients too.
* flax seeds ( ground ) are cheap. They provide many minerals and healthy types of fiber that will help lower your blood pressure. Many minerals too.
* HMart and other Asian markets offer amazingly cheap soy products, produce, and grains. May not be organic though, though that is changing.
* seasonal produce is cheaper.
* yams, sweet potatoes, cabbage, dried legumes, rice, pasta, peanut butter, frozen vegetables are the cheapest foods all year long.
* if you have the discipline and time to shop without buying make regular rounds at Whole Foods. They often have really good sales ( and quality )
on their "365" generic brand products.
* Vegan products at Aldi and COSTCO ( even without a membership ) are all the rage for the lower prices.

There are loads of "grocery haul" vegan videos on youtube and videos of how to eat for the most minimum cost.

I watched this interesting ~7 min PBS video about a book called "Good And Cheap".

The book started as part of a MA in Food Studies at New York University for Leanne Brown.

She wanted to teach people circa 2015 who were dependent on SNAP ( "food stamps" ) how to get better nutrition while staying within the limits of $4 a day per person.

She eventually compiled her recipes and tips into a book. You can buy it at the link above. Each copy you buy goes toward providing free copies to economically disadvantaged people. You can also go to the "Good And Cheap" link above and download a free PDF copy.

Most of the recipes are vegan, you can ignore the rest. It is worth the free downloads because the book is about grocery selection and cooking techniques to save money that can be applied to any diet.

Last edited: