The coffee Lovers thread

But ... would that not mean you have to shut off the kettle early?

I understand that electric kettles are designed to heat the water to 212 degrees F, which should be the boiling point of water?
When you turn it off early, then how do you know the temperature?

Yes, you have to switch it off before it reaches boiling point. With experience, it's quite easy to know when you have to switch if off.

I make the best coffee in my French press. Been doing it since I went to Boston in September. I hardly ever use the Keurig anymore. Luckily, son and hubby do, so it's not going to waste.

I use two level tablespoons of grinds (half Starbucks decaf Sumatra and half Espresso) per six ounces of water and let it steep for 8-10 minutes. It's Heaven.

I make the best coffee in my French press. Been doing it since I went to Boston in September. I hardly ever use the Keurig anymore. Luckily, son and hubby do, so it's not going to waste.

I use two level tablespoons of grinds (half Starbucks decaf Sumatra and half Espresso) per six ounces of water and let it steep for 8-10 minutes. It's Heaven.

I totally agree with you. ;)The French press (Bodum) together with an espresso maker make the best coffee ever. However your coffee would be far too weak for my liking. I use 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons of coffee for mine.:D

I totally agree with you. ;)The French press (Bodum) together with an espresso maker make the best coffee ever. However your coffee would be far too weak for my liking. I use 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons of coffee for mine.:D
Wow, that's impressive! Mine is strong compared to what my friends and other family members drink.

That said, MY FRENCH PRESS JUST BROKE AND I CANT FIX IT!! I've had to resort back to using the Keurig until I can replace it. I can't decide which one to get on Amazon. Feel free to suggest something that's not too expensive! :D

Maybe I'll tell my daughter to suggest to my son that he get me one for Christmas!

I have a bodum but like my Melitta filter drip so much better.
Don't you guys get tired of scraping out the grounds every time? In the summer I would fill it with water and dump in the compost, but now that its cold and snowy I'm not going there!
I think i like the taste better through a paper filter

Reactions: KLS52
I had a cup in the filter drip with a teaspoon of cocoa and a good shake of powdered ginger. I had Silk vanilla creamer I added. I liked that a lot! I usually drink it plain

I have a bodum but like my Melitta filter drip so much better.
Don't you guys get tired of scraping out the grounds every time? In the summer I would fill it with water and dump in the compost, but now that its cold and snowy I'm not going there!
I think i like the taste better through a paper filter
I don't know why but I just love the French press. I found a Bodum online and sent the link to my daughter.

My mom always put coffee grinds down the kitchen sink drain. She said it clears the grease out so I've been doing that. :eek:

I discovered using a about a 1/2 teaspoon or a little more of cocoa works wonder with coffee in a pour over! I have to admit I'm finding more ways to use that Silk vanilla creamer. With the cocoa coffee it's better than hot chocolate.
I've never understood why there aren't more chocolate creamers. I absolutely depise hazelnut, both taste and smell, yet everyone I know loves them!

Reactions: KLS52
I discovered using a about a 1/2 teaspoon or a little more of cocoa works wonder with coffee in a pour over! I have to admit I'm finding more ways to use that Silk vanilla creamer. With the cocoa coffee it's better than hot chocolate.
I've never understood why there aren't more chocolate creamers. I absolutely depise hazelnut, both taste and smell, yet everyone I know loves them!

My absolute favourite. However, I can't find hazelnut creamer over here. I must try and buy some hazelnut extract one of these days from an online retailer.

I absolutely depise hazelnut, both taste and smell, yet everyone I know loves them!
Oh no, I'm with you on this one. But I don't like any of the non dairy flavored creamers. I can only use Silk original, and I end up having to make trips to several different stores to find it in stock. WF is the only store to carry it in the quart size so I buy 3-4 quarts because, luckily, the expiration dates are usually really good and go for two months. Not that it ever lasts that long, hehe. All three of us use it and we love our coffee.

Reactions: PTree15
I find that syrups also work fine, if you like to drink sweet aromatized coffee.

What I had not expected at the time when I tried it out at a hotel breakfast where it was the only available syrup some years ago, was that peppermint syrup actually worked really well in Cappuccino :confused:

Think "After Eight", those (unfortunately non-vegan:(, hence I have not had them anymore for a long time) chocolate-covered mint wafers....

I wonder if anyone here can tell me why Keurig cup (k-cup) style coffee makers have become so popular, apparently eclipsing the "Mr. Coffee" drip coffee-makers. I read the Wikipedia article on Keurig, but it talks about everything else (history and growth of the company, history of the company's stock price, etc.) while never explaining what is supposedly so good about the k-cup.

I wonder if anyone here can tell me why Keurig cup (k-cup) style coffee makers have become so popular, apparently eclipsing the "Mr. Coffee" drip coffee-makers. I read the Wikipedia article on Keurig, but it talks about everything else (history and growth of the company, history of the company's stock price, etc.) while never explaining what is supposedly so good about the k-cup.

For me, it's convenience. It's just so brain dead simple to insert a pod and press the button.

And it's fast. Single cup feature is great because you get fresh cup every time.

I still prefer my French press as far as it making the best cup of coffee.