The coffee Lovers thread

Well, I'm American and I have an electric tea kettle. I love it. Lol

Reactions: ledboots
Change that!

Amazon.com: electric kettle

I have been using this beauty for about 15 years...
(was a Christmas present, would not have bought it myself ... but it is sturdy and still works like a charm)

0001088.jpg

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, PAF, Siemens, Porsche Design, Christian de Portzamparc (adagp), Carl Pott in Tribu-Design

But ... I find it hard to believe that a Kettle would be 5 GBP only in the UK. Really? They start around 20 EUR in Germany (the rather cheap plastic ones)

Last edited:
I know, most people here don't! I had never seen one until my Canadian sis in law and her mother's kitchens. They are very handy as they are cheap, fast, use less power than most stovetop burners, and don't heat up my kitchen. :)

Yes, you have boiling water in a jiffy. I use mine when I need lots of water for making pasta, rice and soups.

A Dutch friend showed me something that might be even cooler ... called a "Quooker"
Quooker taps | The boiling-water tap for your kitchen

Basically it's a water heater / boiling water tank under your sink that can dispense boiling water immediately from a tap fitted on your countertop.

quooker_2-500x500.jpg

But, that one is definitely not cheap.

Yes, a forum friend in the UK has one. I'd be a bit worried if one has children at home. However, I'm sure that it must be fitted with a security function.

Yes, supposedly it can not be used by children or accidentally due to a "double push and turn system".

In Asia, many have the next best thing (not as cool but much cheaper), which is a Hot Water Dispenser...

k2-_d9470441-e5d8-4406-aa72-d55dee23da5c.v1.jpg

The main reason is that in China, everybody boils the water, and hot water is a popular drink that is supposed to be very healthy.

I'd never heard of an electric kettle until now, everyone I know has a coffeemaker. When I was young we had a tea kettle that we heated on the stove, my mom used it to make coffee and tea.

Is that so?

With 110 V, the water can not be heated quickly enough?
My Vitamix is quite powerful with 110 V....

I've never seen anyone that I visit in the US who has a kettle.
I know, most people here don't! I had never seen one until my Canadian sis in law and her mother's kitchens. They are very handy as they are cheap, fast, use less power than most stovetop burners, and don't heat up my kitchen. :)
Same here. It wasn't until I started going to South Carolina with my cousin, that I started using one. She has one at her condo in Murrells Inlet and I liked it, so I wanted one, lol. It's a cool gadget.

Electric kettles are not the norm here.

Same here. It wasn't until I started going to South Carolina with my cousin, that I started using one. She has one at her condo in Murrells Inlet and I liked it, so I wanted one, lol. It's a cool gadget.

Electric kettles are not the norm here.

They aren't considered as gadgets over here. Yes, can't live without my electric kettle.:p

I used to have a small hot water heater device called a "hot pot". It heated water very fast and was really convenient. I haven't had one for years and years though and have never had an electric kettle. I heat water for tea in the microwave. :D