The coffee Lovers thread

A coffee connoisseur would probably have a heart attack if I tried to serve them what I've been drinking lately.

I put some store brand instant decaf in a glass with a little cocoa powder and sweetener or a flavored syrup, add a tiny bit of hot water to dissolve the crystals, then add some almond milk and fill with cold water. :D

Haha. I was really tired this morning so I did actually have a cup of coffee, some generic instant coffee with a spoonful of sugar and lots of almond milk. I have put a spoonful of vanilla ice cream in there before to drown out the taste of the coffee.:p

Reactions: ledboots
Sounds nice :)

We both know it's c**p. :p
But it's closest I can get to iced coffee without a coffee maker or ice.
shrug.gif

But it's closest I can get to iced coffee without a coffee maker or ice.
shrug.gif

Indeed. I would think that having ice would certainly help with making iced coffee.

In summer, I like to put a fresh espresso with some soymilk, sugar and icecubes into the Vitamix and make myself a nice frothy iced cappuccino. But, in a pinch, this actually also works really well with instant coffee.

I went to a new vegan coffee shop yesterday.

I was enthusiastic when they confirmed that all their dishes did not use any kind of animal products, so I asked them for a soy Cappuccino.

Imagine my surprise when the friendly barista explained to me "Well, sir, but we think that you can only fully appreciate the best taste of coffee without any kind of milk or sugar. Which is why we do not have any. We also do not have espresso, we only have drip coffee".

I tried the coffee, and it was ok - for black coffee. Definitely not the culinary experience I would cross the city for.

How well their "We do know best what is good for you" concept will work in an area where actually every other restaurant is another coffee house, some from chains like Starbucks or similar, others small places, (but all of them likely serving cappuccino, and many of those likely also vegan versions) I can only guess.

The fact that I was the only customer, and it took them about 30 minutes to get my coffee and other dishes ready (when I had come there 30 minutes before their closing time), did not greatly inspire my confidence, either....

Oh my, that does sound rather bizarre!

We got a Keurig, it's one of those single serving machines that are filling up the land fills with those tiny cups. Now I get to have real coffee, and my roommate bought about 8 different flavors to try. She got everything from Cinnabon flavored to light roast decaf. It's her first time ever having coffee.

In other news, Starbucks has finally started posting the ingredients of most of their frappuccinos, so now it's easy to tell which ones are vegan.

I like the Keurig but I use regular coffee most of the time using the little "basket" container thingy that came with it. I do like the convenience of the "pods" but they are much more expensive. A stand alone Starbucks is opening soon near my work. I am sure they will have long lines at the drive through!

Reactions: KLS52
I love the refillable pod. I get to make my expresso as strong as can be.

Last edited:
Hmmm....this one didn't come with a refillable pod. :pout:

Are there any? Never was even hoping for that ....
Unfortunately, the majority of those delicious chemical and sugar filled drinks are vegan.

We got a Keurig, it's one of those single serving machines that are filling up the land fills with those tiny cups. Now I get to have real coffee, and my roommate bought about 8 different flavors to try. She got everything from Cinnabon flavored to light roast decaf. It's her first time ever having coffee.

I love our Keurig, but it's a good idea to clean it (the insides) at least once every few months.

In addition to clogging, ours starts to make very strange sounds..I mean really strange.:eek:

Regarding the pods...there are at least a few YouTube videos that give instructions on how to re-use them.

Reactions: KLS52
I went to a new vegan coffee shop yesterday.

I was enthusiastic when they confirmed that all their dishes did not use any kind of animal products, so I asked them for a soy Cappuccino.

Imagine my surprise when the friendly barista explained to me "Well, sir, but we think that you can only fully appreciate the best taste of coffee without any kind of milk or sugar. Which is why we do not have any. We also do not have espresso, we only have drip coffee".

I tried the coffee, and it was ok - for black coffee. Definitely not the culinary experience I would cross the city for.

How well their "We do know best what is good for you" concept will work in an area where actually every other restaurant is another coffee house, some from chains like Starbucks or similar, others small places, (but all of them likely serving cappuccino, and many of those likely also vegan versions) I can only guess.

The fact that I was the only customer, and it took them about 30 minutes to get my coffee and other dishes ready (when I had come there 30 minutes before their closing time), did not greatly inspire my confidence, either....

.... What? Drip coffee is not the best type of coffee anyway! Even in Starbucks they now do coconut milk lattes! To me that sounds like a great way to put people off veganism. I'm genuinely a bit angry right now, I like coffee too much.

Hmmm....this one didn't come with a refillable pod. :pout:

Unfortunately, the majority of those delicious chemical and sugar filled drinks are vegan.
Heh, I never even bothered to check because I figured there weren't any vegan ones. :D