The coffee Lovers thread

Haha, one innocent comment about my French press and suddenly I feel like I have hijacked the thread into a discussion of electric kettles.

Thursday is headache inducing for me. I usually do not drink coffee in the afternoon, but I am considering it. In the interest of getting back on topic... has anyone ever tried that coffee style that went viral a few months back where you add butter or coconut oil to your coffee? What did you think?

Reactions: ledboots
Haha, one innocent comment about my French press and suddenly I feel like I have hijacked the thread into a discussion of electric kettles.

Thursday is headache inducing for me. I usually do not drink coffee in the afternoon, but I am considering it. In the interest of getting back on topic... has anyone ever tried that coffee style that went viral a few months back where you add butter or coconut oil to your coffee? What did you think?

I've never heard of butter or coconut oil in coffee. I like mine with lots of soya milk and cream.:D

I read recently that not many Americans have an electric kettle. I was surprised because literally every house in the UK has one and they cost like £5.

I got one only after some friends visiting from the UK commented on this very issue.

Only one brick-and-mortar store around here sells them, though.

That's the same brand that I have, except mine is black and the reservoir holds 1.7L.

Another attractive feature is the automatic shut-off. However, I've found that this does not work unless the lid is absolutely seated when closed, so I am always slapping down the lid.

Why is heating water in the microwave a bad thing? I heat the water and pour it in the cup with the tea bag. I use the microwave for a lot of things. :p

According to this article, you can not control the temperature well.

On the other hand, when I make tea, I put the water in the kettle and get it to a boil. Then I pour it over the tea. I never considered how many degrees it would have or varied it for the kind of tea I use.

So my guess is, as long as the water is still water (and not steam), then the temperature should be about correct, right?
So it won't likely be too hot, but possibly too cold.

I judged the temp of the water through trial and error. In my microwave, 3 minutes is just short of boiling and seems to brew the tea just fine. I use a large glass measuring cup.

They aren't considered as gadgets over here. Yes, can't live without my electric kettle.:p

I just looked up the definition of gadget. Not an actual gadget but more of a cool/smart invention.

Why is heating water in the microwave a bad thing? I heat the water and pour it in the cup with the tea bag. I use the microwave for a lot of things. :p
You are not alone. I often use the microwave for tea. Just because I have an electric kettle doesn't mean I use it every day. [emoji38]

I sometimes use my microwave to heat water for tea, and sometimes use my electric kettle. I drink tea from a ceramic mug. It takes about two minutes to heat the water in the mug for tea. The water is about scalding hot, but does not "boil over." I suppose I could try increasing the time until it would boil over, then "nuke" it for just short of that time, but the two minutes standard seems to work fine for me. The electric kettle, in contrast, takes 5 to 6 minutes to come to a boil. But then I fill it to the max (1.7L for mine). I suppose if I started with an empty electric kettle and just added enough water for one mug's worth, it would be more competitive with the microwave time-wise.

According to this article, you can not control the temperature well.

On the other hand, when I make tea, I put the water in the kettle and get it to a boil. Then I pour it over the tea. I never considered how many degrees it would have or varied it for the kind of tea I use.

So my guess is, as long as the water is still water (and not steam), then the temperature should be about correct, right?
So it won't likely be too hot, but possibly too cold.

You should never boil the water when making tea or coffee. It should be taken off the heat just before it reaches boiling point. That is the main reason why it is easier using an electric kettle. I also warm up the tea pot before adding the tea leaves.

Reactions: ledboots
But ... would that not mean you have to shut off the kettle early?

I understand that electric kettles are designed to heat the water to 212 degrees F, which should be the boiling point of water?
When you turn it off early, then how do you know the temperature?