The coffee Lovers thread

And it's fast. Single cup feature is great because you get fresh cup every time.

I still prefer my French press as far as it making the best cup of coffee.

Thank you for your informative remarks. :)

And it's fast. Single cup feature is great because you get fresh cup every time.

I still prefer my French press as far as it making the best cup of coffee.

It's the same thing using either an espresso machine or a French press. They have those K cups in hotels in the US and Canada but I never got around to using them. The coffee seemed so weak.

It's the same thing using either an espresso machine or a French press. They have those K cups in hotels in the US and Canada but I never got around to using them. The coffee seemed so weak.
Yes, I guess you could do a single serving with the French press (I'm not familiar with the Espresso machines) but it's still more work than the Keurig. You can't beat it for fast, easy, convenience. I really think that is the biggest appeal. I think it takes all of 60-90 seconds from the time you are filling the reservoir with water until you press the dispense button.

I totally agree on the weakness factor. On the rare occasions when I do use it now, I mostly use the refillable pod with a dark/bold grind and only dispense the six ounces of water.

That said, I'm going to go make some in my French press now since I have two whole hours before I have to leave for work. :)

Yes, I guess you could do a single serving with the French press (I'm not familiar with the Espresso machines) but it's still more work than the Keurig. You can't beat it for fast, easy, convenience. I really think that is the biggest appeal. I think it takes all of 60-90 seconds from the time you are filling the reservoir with water until you press the dispense button.

I totally agree on the weakness factor. On the rare occasions when I do use it now, I mostly use the refillable pod with a dark/bold grind and only dispense the six ounces of water.

That said, I'm going to go make some in my French press now since I have two whole hours before I have to leave for work. :)

I have one of those classic (older versions) of an espresso maker. Even so it only takes 1 or 2 minutes to make the coffee. With the new style using capsules it is even quicker. The coffee really does taste excellent and contains far less caffeine than the drip style.

I have one of those classic (older versions) of an espresso maker. Even so it only takes 1 or 2 minutes to make the coffee. With the new style using capsules it is even quicker. The coffee really does taste excellent and contains far less caffeine than the drip style.
That is good to know. :)

I made a half pot in my French press just now which will yield me two average sized mugs of coffee. Took 12 minutes total and so worth it when I have the time. I'm curled up in a blanket on the couch watching the news :yuck::hurl::down: lol. At least the coffee is delicious!

That is good to know. :)

I made a half pot in my French press just now which will yield me two average sized mugs of coffee. Took 12 minutes total and so worth it when I have the time. I'm curled up in a blanket on the couch watching the news :yuck::hurl::down: lol. At least the coffee is delicious!

I know how you feel. I can't wait until Saturday morning to do the same thing !!! :p

I have even bought a heated throw; so much better.:D

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
No, definitely drinking. I can't make mine fast enough.:D

I don't know whether any of you oldies remember when people used to have automatic coffee and tea makers ?

I don't enjoy my french press. It's messy, and I don't like getting the bit of sludge at the bottom of my cup. I just like a paper filter better. I do love my single cup drip thing. I actually have a giant mug which is like 20 oz.
I feel guilty not getting ethical coffee, but when I do I get mad I spend too much money. I did cut back to one giant mug, other than what I drink at work. It's insane how much coffee they go through there, and how much gets wasted

I don't enjoy my french press. It's messy, and I don't like getting the bit of sludge at the bottom of my cup. I just like a paper filter better. I do love my single cup drip thing. I actually have a giant mug which is like 20 oz.
I feel guilty not getting ethical coffee, but when I do I get mad I spend too much money. I did cut back to one giant mug, other than what I drink at work. It's insane how much coffee they go through there, and how much gets wasted
Ive been noticing that. What is it? Is it normal for a French press? I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I thought it from using a regular grind so i made a point to get whole beans and use a coarse grind. It was better, but I still like paper filters. I should be composting more
I feel okay about worm bins, they seem like places worms would like. ?. I feel okay about symbiotic relationships with animals and that seems pretty good. Any thoughts?
I kinda fits, coffee grounds are good for worm bins :rolleyes:

Reactions: KLS52
Makes sense now because I do use a too-fine grind, sometimes. Thanks!

For awhile, I was using a fine, pre-ground espresso grind for everything. But I am finding that I'm doing pretty well grinding the whole beans myself when using the new French press that my son got me for Christmas. The espresso seems to work well in my refillable cup when I do use the Keurig.

I just found something great - automatic milk frothers!

I remember using a manual Bodum milk foamer some 20 years ago and that it did not do a very great job - so I gave it to a friend.

So, so far, I had been relying on top-of-the-line espresso machines that have strong enough steam to be able to foam milk nicely. This is especially important as it is not so easy to foam soy milk as it is to foam dairy milk.

If you simply want good espresso, it is very easy to get a capable machine for as little as 100-200 $ (but you need to calculate another 100$ for a good grinder, which is arguably more important for espresso quality than the espresso machine).

Examples:

Amazon.com: Hario Mini Mill Slim Hand Coffee Grinder: Kitchen & Dining

If you want to also have milk-foam-based drinks, then things get more demanding (and expensive) as you need to either get a very good single boiler machine that can quickly generate the steam, or go for an (even more expensive) double boiler machine that can provide both espresso and steam at the same time.

Now, with the milk frothing device (which set me back only 80$), I am suddenly able to get a good soya cappuccino or latte at the office with the "standard" espresso machine that is there. Quite an improvement!!!

Last edited:
I just found something great - automatic milk frothers!

I remember using a manual Bodum milk foamer some 20 years ago and that it did not do a very great job - so I gave it to a friend.

So, so far, I had been relying on top-of-the-line espresso machines that have strong enough steam to be able to foam milk nicely. This is especially important as it is not so easy to foam soy milk as it is to foam dairy milk.

If you simply want good espresso, it is very easy to get a capable machine for as little as 100-200 $ (but you need to calculate another 100$ for a good grinder, which is arguably more important for espresso quality than the espresso machine).

Examples:

If you want to also have milk-foam-based drinks, then things get more demanding (and expensive) as you need to either get a very good single boiler machine that can quickly generate the steam, or go for an (even more expensive) double boiler machine that can provide both espresso and steam at the same time.

Now, with the milk frothing device (which set me back only 80$), I am suddenly able to get a good soya cappuccino or latte at the office with the "standard" espresso machine that is there. Quite an improvement!!!

I find that you really don't need an (expensive) milk frother when you have an espresso machine. The coffee is nice and frothy even if you add lots of milk, like I do.

I started drinking coffee years ago due the ghastly quality of most tea one gets when out and about ... I drink espresso made here in our kitchen with a Bialetti stove top ....