The coffee Lovers thread

Well, Teacup, I admit I would not have guessed that from your username and avatar!

Like the old joke "Do you know why the British love to drink tea?" ... "Well, try their coffee once!" ;)

I started drinking coffee years ago due the ghastly quality of most tea one gets when out and about ... I drink espresso made here in our kitchen with a Bialetti stove top ....
I agree about the ghastly quality of tea when you are out. I started out with iced coffee, and now I love hot black coffee and soy lattes. :D I do all of my tea drinking at home. :)

Reactions: teacup
I started drinking coffee years ago due the ghastly quality of most tea one gets when out and about ... I drink espresso made here in our kitchen with a Bialetti stove top ....

There is a restaurant around here that I liked to go to because it was open late and had wifi. But you could not order tea. They'd tell you they just didn't have it. So I'd ask for a cup of hot water and just bring my own tea bag. You might try this every once in a while.

Reactions: Amy SF
You know, "Joe" is a slang word for coffee. Just sayin'...:p;)

You're right, although I think you would have heard this slang used in the 1940s or 1950s much more than it is today.

I like coffee just fine, but if I drink it in the evening, I'll not be able to sleep.

I'm a recent convert to pour-over. It's not as messy as French Press, and tastes so much better than anything that comes out of a any kind of a coffee maker. I started with a fine stainless steel cone, but recently changed to a porcelain one with a filter.

I actually use 4 tablespoons of ground coffee to make a 10 ounce cup. Needless to say, I'm usually fine with one cup of coffee in the morning! *zing!*

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Just finished my pack of Sainsbury's ground Fairtrade coffee. It certainly is one of the best coffees on the market and is excellent value for money.

Reactions: KLS52
I've been getting Aldi fair trade coffees. They have medium roast and dark roast preground. I like both. they now regularly carry whole bean fair trade Peruvian and Honduras beans. First I got Peru, using my nutribullet (from Aldi) with the flat blade. Loved it! I then got the one from Honduras, and I hate it! It has such a nasty 'burnt' taste, doesn't even smell good to me. I don't like Starbucks regular coffees either though

I drink my coffee in the morning and do not drink it throughout the day like some people do. The news said there would be further study on the exact ingredients in the coffee that may be the reason. I would think the antioxidants would surely play a role. I will continue to enjoy my morning cup or two! :D

Three cups of coffee could help you live longer according to new survey

Those who drank more coffee were also more likely to be younger, to smoke, drink, eat more amounts of meat and less fruit and veg.

Someone was saying on TV just now that they think it might be to do with the antioxidants in coffee.
I saw this report as well. Interesting, as the studies have gone back and forth over the years about whether coffee is good for you. I actually didn't start drinking it until I was in my 40s. I blame my sister, who got me hooked on iced coffee. It was all downhill from there. Before that, I was strictly a tea girl. Now I love both. :D

I love coffee. The smell of the beans, the fresh brew. I used to drink it all day. Now that I've cut back to just a big morning mug I make a point to buy fair trade, sustainably grown. Aldi has a nice medium blend but their Peruvian one is my favorite- except that it only comes in whole bean. I use my nutri-bullet with the flat blade but it's so 'moist'(?) it doesn't seem to drip as well.
Fresh Thyme has a wonderful rainforest blend
I take coffee black but I do like tea with cream. I have a coffee mate vanilla almond now. Maybe that will curb my craving for sweet :)

I bought some decaf coffee after reading that study, I thought I may as well drink a few cups a day if it is so good for you.

Reactions: PTree15
Does decaf count? I couldn't find anything specific in the article as to whether or not it matters if it's caffeinated or decaffeinated.

“I’ll take it black, like my soul.” -- Science Says Drinking Your Coffee This Way Means You’re More Likely to Be a Psychopath o_O
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/science-says-drinking-coffee-way-150410372.html
.... those who preferred bitter flavors often exhibited qualities that make them appear bitter themselves. In addition, these people often revealed sadistic or even psychopathic characteristics. In other words, evidence shows that people with psychopathic tendencies tend prefer their coffee black.

Why yes I would like a cup of coffee- black. I have never been considered to have an psychopathic tendencies! :p
I also dislike the darker roasts like Starbucks, or French roasts. I do like ones with 'fruity', or chocolate 'notes'. My favorites have been Aldi German medium or mild fair trade or the bulk grind your own at Fresh Thyme. I now found my bullet blender does a fine job with whole beans so I can buy Aldi's whole bean Peru beans! I don't know why I thought that too much trouble, it's really not!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val