Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

Cornbread just out of the oven, and pintos done in Instant Pot ready to be seasoned. Wishing I had some greens! I need to start buying bunches and freezing them

I much prefer extra firm tofu for eggy type salad, with same stuff, and kala namak

I’ve been jealous of PTree’s seitan sausage. I have been unable to find vegan sausage, either the Tofurky or field roast in original flavor. I don’t like Italian or apple sage. So I had some plain Seitan nuggets and thought, why can’t I air fry a few and gave it on a roll with sauerkraut onions and mustard? Turns out I could! It’s super tasty. 😋

I’ve been jealous of PTree’s seitan sausage. I have been unable to find vegan sausage, either the Tofurky or field roast in original flavor. I don’t like Italian or apple sage. So I had some plain Seitan nuggets and thought, why can’t I air fry a few and gave it on a roll with sauerkraut onions and mustard? Turns out I could! It’s super tasty. 😋
In case you want to make your own if supply issues continue, I use the Post Punk Kitchen recipe, which is Italian (it has fennel seeds and hot pepper flakes), but I bet you could adjust the spices to whatever you like. They are a little labor-intensive, but they are so worth it, IMHO. Each recipe makes 4 large sausages, and I typically eat half at a time. I always make three batches or so and then freeze them. They keep great!

Tonight I am having acorn squash stuffed with a mix of wild rice, seitan sausage, Granny Smith apples, walnuts and dried cranberries. I put some cinnamon in and a dash of nutmeg along with a pinch of sea salt and some pepper. The stuffing would also be great cold on a bed of lettuce. I have enough for several meals.

Your sandwich sounds great!!

In case you want to make your own if supply issues continue, I use the Post Punk Kitchen recipe, which is Italian (it has fennel seeds and hot pepper flakes), but I bet you could adjust the spices to whatever you like. They are a little labor-intensive, but they are so worth it, IMHO. Each recipe makes 4 large sausages, and I typically eat half at a time. I always make three batches or so and then freeze them. They keep great!

Tonight I am having acorn squash stuffed with a mix of wild rice, seitan sausage, Granny Smith apples, walnuts and dried cranberries. I put some cinnamon in and a dash of nutmeg along with a pinch of sea salt and some pepper. The stuffing would also be great cold on a bed of lettuce. I have enough for several meals.

Your sandwich sounds great!!
That is still my go to sausage recipe, and I have cooked pintos, I should make some!
I'd like to know how to recreate the tastes in like Beyond Italian sausage, or their spicy breakfast patties. I can never copy tastes of processed foods I like, even when I buy blends

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
That is still my go to sausage recipe, and I have cooked pintos, I should make some!
I'd like to know how to recreate the tastes in like Beyond Italian sausage, or their spicy breakfast patties. I can never copy tastes of processed foods I like, even when I buy blends
It's such a great recipe. I like it so much better than Tofurky. I've never really warmed to Tofurky products. I would love to be able to re-create the Beyond spicy breakfast patties. I love those! I haven't tried their Italian sausage yet, though.

Reactions: EllieW
Ahhhhh....I don't have sage! :pout:
All the shopping I've done since running out I was either in a store that didn't carry it, didn't think to look, just couldn't make up my mind which one to buy. Last time I ran into choices I bought ground cardamon :shrug:. I should do a biryani maybe?

• Friendly
I actually printed out the recipe for the sausage. And since I hate fennel or anything seedy, I found ground fennel! I’ll definitely play with the spices. So maybe I’ll give it a shot this coming week.

Reactions: EllieW and PTree15
It's such a great recipe. I like it so much better than Tofurky. I've never really warmed to Tofurky products. I would love to be able to re-create the Beyond spicy breakfast patties. I love those! I haven't tried their Italian sausage yet, though.
The big sausages. Sooo good. The hot Italian are what I get, not hot though- I dislike the sweet Italian
The breakfast patties have been on sale here, and there's a $1 coupon (think still on their site) to download, so I stocked up on those.

Reactions: EllieW and PTree15
I actually printed out the recipe for the sausage. And since I hate fennel or anything seedy, I found ground fennel! I’ll definitely play with the spices. So maybe I’ll give it a shot this coming week.
I forgot to mention that I grind the fennel seeds. :D

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW and KLS52
I use very little ground fennel, and think I'll use ground coriander this time.
Isn't caraway a typical sausage spice? And what's the real fat spice that resembles fennel used in sausage?

Reactions: EllieW and KLS52
I use very little ground fennel, and think I'll use ground coriander this time.
Isn't caraway a typical sausage spice? And what's the real fat spice that resembles fennel used in sausage?
I don’t know but you got me thinking 🤔

I don’t know but you got me thinking 🤔
Looking up sausage spices caraway doesn't come up, just the usual rye bread, sauerkraut....
I guess I'm thinking fennel as the fat seeds, maybe a variant? I have a jar of fennel seeds and their more narrow than what I'm thinking.
Now I don't know what to make....

• Sad
Looking up sausage spices caraway doesn't come up, just the usual rye bread, sauerkraut....
I guess I'm thinking fennel as the fat seeds, maybe a variant? I have a jar of fennel seeds and their more narrow than what I'm thinking.
Now I don't know what to make....
Maybe they fatten up when they’re cooked? From any moisture?

• Informative
Reactions: silva