I noticed that I feel hungry a lot of times; I also tend to overeat bread and oatmeal, then I end up feeling heavy and bloated.
I don't know if I am doing a very good job at this, and I don't really want my health to be affected by this; my weight varies a lot, and I read that this "yo-yo" effect can be very damaging to one's health.

I noticed that I feel hungry a lot of times; I also tend to overeat bread and oatmeal, then I end up feeling heavy and bloated.
I don't know if I am doing a very good job at this.
Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time.
Although I can think of lots of worse things to overeat than bread and oatmeal.

I can really fill up on salad. and having things like carrots and celery. Apples and bananas are pretty good at staving off hunger too.

Reactions: PTree15
Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time.
Although I can think of lots of worse things to overeat than bread and oatmeal.

I can really fill up on salad. and having things like carrots and celery. Apples and bananas are pretty good at staving off hunger too.
[The Best Macronutrient Ratio for Weight Loss] mentions eating more protein; perhaps I should eat more tofu/beans/lentils/salad. Though then comes the problem of nutrients vs satiety (you feel satiated but haven't got a lot of nutrients from the food; also, what kind of satiety is it ? There is satiety and then there is overeating)

We need to "re-energize" this thread.

Wasn't that the China Study?
I remember that from the documentary Forks Over Knives, too.
I have the China Study in front of me, the rats and protein percentages and cancer, all over the book, but page 47, first new paragraph mentions it. He -Campbell, had the preconceived notion as most people do that more protein is better, so they'd hypothesized that by giving the poor liver cancer children more protein, they'd be healthier, but based on the study regarding the rats and liver cancer, learned that the more protein promoted the cancer and the less amount showed no progression of the cancer.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
[The Best Macronutrient Ratio for Weight Loss] mentions eating more protein; perhaps I should eat more tofu/beans/lentils/salad. Though then comes the problem of nutrients vs satiety (you feel satiated but haven't got a lot of nutrients from the food; also, what kind of satiety is it ? There is satiety and then there is overeating)
First you must recognize the feeling of HUNGER, it is a void, and empty middle feeling, begging you to fill it. Then when you've eaten, you don't feel that feeling anymore.

Reactions: Emma JC
First you must recognize the feeling of HUNGER, it is a void, and empty middle feeling, begging you to fill it. Then when you've eaten, you don't feel that feeling anymore.
That may be a problem, that I can't seem to tell when until it's too late.
Also, cravings even though I've eaten; perhaps it could be because I lack something ?
(Perhaps I am eating too many fats and too little protein; and/or not drinking enough water, maybe I should have more fiber/starch too ?)

Reactions: feather
Lou, I thought it was interesting, how the high protein (casein in this case) diet promoted the liver cancer in rats/mice? at 20% but stopped the progression of cancer at 5%. There have been more studies about how protein promotes the cancer, and fat is the vehicle it moves about--I think it was Greger, nutritionfacts.org in a video about metastasizing cancer he put out recently.
Wasn't that the China Study?
I remember that from the Documenaty Forks Over Knives.

@feather
We should re-energize this thread

• Love
I don't know if I am doing a very good job at this, and I don't really want my health to be affected by this; my weight varies a lot, and I read that this "yo-yo" effect can be very damaging to one's health.
Well you've been directed to some very good sources.
Stop clicking on random sites and go to the very well documented information
Forks over Knives is another good source of research

Reactions: V3G4N and feather

Hunger and cravings can often be misleading.
I used to still feel hungry right after a meal. I learned that some of that was just low blood sugar. and it takes s while for the meal to get to the point where it raises your blood sugar and then the brain gets signaled to turn off the "I'm hungry" alarm.

There are also other psychological things that trigger hunger and cravings. Most of them are not real or based on what we need. For instance I might be missing my mom and then want to eat roast beef. (she used to make it every Sunday night). Its sort of a meme but we are all heard of it. A girl would be lonely and watch tv and eat a tub of ice cream.

Sometimes people even confuse thirst with hunger. So its possible that a big glass of water will do. It also registers on the sensors that tell you your belly has food in it.

Also, cravings even though I've eaten; perhaps it could be because I lack something ?
(Perhaps I am eating too many fats and too little protein; and/or not drinking enough water, maybe I should have more fiber/starch too ?)
It is hard to recognize hunger when you are just used to eating at given 'breakfast time, lunch time, dinner time'....so I only ate when I was hungry. We still only eat when we are hungry. For me, I get hungry about 12 noon or 1 or 2 pm, for my first meal, then around 4 or 5, then at 7 or 9. My husband does as well, and we don't force ourselves to fit the clock in our daily life. The only time we eat at the exact same time is when the pizza is ready (wfpb'ed), or we try a new dish, or we are traveling and eating with others.

Cravings are interesting, but no it's not a missing element in your diet. I wish I could give you the video that describes why we do this. Once our main satiation is filled, our body sends signals that make us want something 'sweet or fatty'. The purpose of this signal, is explained like this: Say you went hunting for an antelope, and used 2000 calories hunting and dragging it back to the village. The food is cooked, you eat 2000 calories to fulfill what you used up. Then in order for you to 'put on extra for times of famine', your body sends a signal for sweet or fatty food. So cravings happen when you are satiated and this old signal just wants to prepare you for possible future famine. We don't have future famines lurking in our current situations. It's biological. I stuff a potato (or piece of fresh fruit) in my mouth if I start to crave anything, the craving goes away.

Reactions: Emma JC

Its very rare that cravings are indicators of needing something. the only exception is thirst.
And drinking water is so important - you can't go wrong with having a glass of water.

Other than thirst, cravings are really really unreliable.

Fiber does help in satiating hunger, it also slows down digestion so that you feel full longer. It also moderated blood sugar. Raw veggies are great snacks for all those reasons.

It is hard to recognize hunger when you are just used to eating at given 'breakfast time, lunch time, dinner time'....so I only ate when I was hungry. We still only eat when we are hungry. For me, I get hungry about 12 noon or 1 or 2 pm, for my first meal, then around 4 or 5, then at 7 or 9. My husband does as well, and we don't force ourselves to fit the clock in our daily life. The only time we eat at the exact same time is when the pizza is ready (wfpb'ed), or we try a new dish, or we are traveling and eating with others.

Cravings are interesting, but no it's not a missing element in your diet. I wish I could give you the video that describes why we do this. Once our main satiation is filled, our body sends signals that make us want something 'sweet or fatty'. The purpose of this signal, is explained like this: Say you went hunting for an antelope, and used 2000 calories hunting and dragging it back to the village. The food is cooked, you eat 2000 calories to fulfill what you used up. Then in order for you to 'put on extra for times of famine', your body sends a signal for sweet or fatty food. So cravings happen when you are satiated and this old signal just wants to prepare you for possible future famine. We don't have future famines lurking in our current situations. It's biological. I stuff a potato (or piece of fresh fruit) in my mouth if I start to crave anything, the craving goes away.

I read somewhere, probably Gregar of Fuhrman, that bacteria in our guts that feed off sugar have evolved over time to send out chemical signals (hormones?) that our brain interprets as hunger or cravings for sugar. Maybe this also happens for fat.

Once you get into a WFPB diet those bacteria are replaced with "good" ones that don't do that.

I believe feather was mostly referring to the concept of retraining your taste buds to adapt to a wfpb no oil no sugar diet.
Mary McDougall formulated the "marys mini" where you pick a starch and use it as your main food source for, I believe, two weeks. You still eat other produce, but that starch comprises your main source of calories and everything you eat is bland. I didn't follow for the whole two weeks, but it really did help me in finding satisfaction and flavor in whole foods.
I need to do this because I keep going back to processed foods
I find myself overeating bread and oatmeal a lot; I feel like they do me more harm than good and that I should stop eating them altogether.
Are they a must in a healthy diet ?
I might be better off just going with non-processed stuff. (maybe except tofu ?)
It might also be sugar cravings in part, not only not being able to tell when I am hungry; taste might also be a reason.
I personally try to eat around 7, 13 and 18 (3 meals). I don't know if it's more harmful than beneficial to try to maintain a schedule (though I did read some articles about spacing between meals and about not eating late, and they mentioned some aprox. times when it is the best to eat)
Yeah, that's the thing, I don't know if I eating this way will be beneficial.

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't know if I eating this way will be beneficial.
Imagine a full long life, going through it and never having eaten an optimal nutritious diet, of eating only plants, no added oil or sugar or salt, and not ever seeing all the benefits it will give you. Since I had never done it completely for most of my life, I suffered with joint pain and skin issues, cysts filled with water on my shins, on my wrist, high blood pressure, getting sick once a year or more with colds or flu, and everyone said it was 'normal' never attributing it to a poor standard american diet. Once I tried it, I was sold because it improved and eradicated all of that. I have more energy, I'm happier, feel no anxiety, sleep better than ever before. So if you try it and don't find it beneficial, quit. If you never try then you'll never really know.

Another great thing to do before you start, is go get a regular all encompassing blood test, a CBC they call it here. Watch your scores improve in a phenomenal way, all there, on paper.

Reactions: V3G4N and Emma JC
Good day !
I apologise if I am asking too many questions and/or am annoying you, just trying to make it the healthiest I can.
We managed to get some seeds and made a mix out of chia, flax, hemp, sesame, poppy, pumpkin, quinoa, sunflower and pine.
(now, according to CronOmeter, I have 105% the daily required amount of Omega-3)

I noticed the discussion on protein; should I reduce it from 25% to 20% ?
Though carbs would end up being quite high, this would make the %macro ratios: P20, C70, F10.
As I said, I think I should keep fat on the low-ish side. Would this ratio be healthy ?
Also, are nuts necessary ? (if yes, then perhaps in a very low amount/day, similar to seeds ? Which type of nut then ?)
Is eating brown rice cakes the same as eating brown rice ?
I am also asking because, as I mentioned, I don't want to stress my kidneys, liver, etc. too much and also due to the discussion about protein from before.

Here is something else I found, can this be considered a valid source of information on the topic ?

Or perhaps I should just do this.
V3G4N: Please contact the Vegetarian Resource Group, or the Vegan Society, and request vegan nutrition information from their on-staff registered dietitians. Public forums are not good sources of information.

The www.iamgoingvegan.com website is written by a blogger, not by a registered dietitian or other educated nutrition expert. Please contact the Vegetarian Resource Group and/or the Vegan Society.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: V3G4N and shyvas
I just noticed that potatoes are not on Dr. Gregar's checklist. I assume they are vegetables. is one potato a serving or two? :)
I searched thru his stuff and he does mention that we should be eating purple potatoes.
Darn it I just bought yellow ones. ;)

I just noticed that potatoes are not on Dr. Gregar's checklist. I assume they are vegetables. is one potato a serving or two? :)
I searched thru his stuff and he does mention that we should be eating purple potatoes.
Darn it I just bought yellow ones. ;)

You have your answer on the following link. Don't know anything about Dr G though......

Potatoes are potatoes regardless of the colour.

Potatoes

Potatoes don't count towards your 5 A Day. This is the same for yams, cassava and plantain, too.

They're classified nutritionally as a starchy food, because when eaten as part of a meal they're usually used in place of other sources of starch, such as bread, rice or pasta.

Although they don't count towards your 5 A Day, potatoes do play an important role in your diet as a starchy food.

• Informative