dianap

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Okay so I am dairy free and I haven't had mac & cheese in years but I was looking for a good vegan (preferably healthy) recipe (soy free and non-dairy "cheese product" free). I've made and enjoyed butternut squash "cheezy" pasta before but while I like it a lot it still has a sweet undertone and I was looking for something a little more savory.

Also even when I used to eat mac & cheese when I was younger, I only ever liked the Annie's boxed kind because I didn't like the soupy or overly creamy texture of homemade versions. so I was wondering, does anyone knew of a healthy, boxed style-ish, vegan mac&cheese recipe? :blush: Thanks!

There are a ton of vegan recipes on YouTube for mac and cheeze. I have made it a few times and usually just do the simple white potato/onion with red bell pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic etc one. It might be more of a queso sauce but it sure is tasty.

I believe High Carb Hannah has a video, Maddie Lymburner, Cheap Lazy Vegan and Sweet Simple Vegan too.

Let us know what you decide on and how it tastes!

Emma JC

Reactions: dianap and Lou
I was having a conversation about "comfort foods" with a couple of people my age. and Mac&Cheese came up and I said I don't associate Mac&Cheese with being comfortable. For me, it was back in my college years when a box cost like 10¢ and that is what you ate when you were broke. And they replied, "oh, that was what we ate when we had some money. Spaghetti and ketchup was what we ate when we were broke. "

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
Did you cook it under the hood of your car? ;)

Emma JC

There was some movie. Can't remember anything but one scene. They were in some kind of cross country race and decided to save time they would make their meals by wrapping the food in tinfoil and setting it next to the engine to cook. I guess some people actually do that. Of course in the movie, it resulted in a disaster narrowly avoided.

Reactions: Emma JC
So so many recipes for vegan mac n cheese! If you want one that is super quick and fits the op's concerns, there is always the simple nooch, almond milk and tb of tapioca starch. Then whatever seasoning you desire. Heat all that up with the already cooked Mac and stir until the tapioca does its magic :)

Reactions: Emma JC and dianap
Mac and cheese is definitely one of my comfort foods- at least real oven-baked Mac and cheese, not the instant stuff in a box. There’s a vegan restaurant near me that makes an amazing Mac and cheese stuffed in a pita with some pesto. I haven’t tried duplicating it myself at home, yet, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before I do.

I use Miyoko's recipe for nut style mac & cheese. It's not bad, and it can be embellished on in many different ways - some healthy and some not so healthy, if you catch my drift. (recipe and suggestions below)

I don't have this often, but I do find even just the default recipe quite satiating. Is it exactly like what you remember? Probably not, but as I mentioned, it can easily be embellished on.

Ingredients:

1 C. Cashews

¾ C. Nutritional Yeast

¼ C. Oat Flour

¼ C. Tapioca Flour

1 tbsp. Paprika

1 tbsp. Date Sugar (the sugar is flexible. Her recipe calls for date sugar)

2 tsp. Powdered Mustard

2 tsp. Sea Salt

2 tsp. Onion Powder
Instructions

Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and process until a powder is formed. There should not be any discernible chunks or large granules of cashews, so this may take 3 to 4 minutes of processing.

Store this in a jar or portion out into 1/3 cup increments and put in ziplock bags and store in the pantry for a month or two or in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

How to use this mix

Cook 1 cup of dry macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
Combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 cup water or unsweetened nondairy milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
Whisk well and bring to a boil.
Simmer for 1 minute, then toss with hot cooked macaroni.

My version of 'embellished' Mac & Cheese:

First make some of Miyoko's mac & cheese. This time make a little extra pasta. If not making cheese sauce from scratch, I use the Deluxe Style Cheddar from Daiya, which is pretty well everywhere in grocery stores. Mix the two sauces together with pasta, and if you desire, top it with some bread crumb and Daiya shreds, and roast it briefly under the broiler until golden brown color, giving you a classic gratin style.

What would make this even better is if you can find a better vegan cheddar, locally. I have made my own cheese sauce from scratch with local vegan cheese and it works very well. Just as you would make a non-vegan cheese sauce, the recipe is very similar. Just find your favorite vegan cheddar and use whatever vegan non-dairy milk you like, and thicken the sauce with a vegan roux. Give it your own twist and embellish it your own way.

I have to say that without a doubt the best mac and cheese I have made is from the cookbook called this cheese is nuts. There are a couple of recipes in there that are stunning including one called mac and cheese. The only modification I make is to double the flavourings. But to make it soy free you'll need to source a soy free miso which isn't too hard to find. Recipe is obviously copyrighted so I can't copy it here but the entire book had been great and well worth buying. I've tried 4 or 5 recipes in there so far and all have been excellent and repeated a number of times. (You'll need a vitamix or similar though).

Reactions: Lou
Okay so I am dairy free and I haven't had mac & cheese in years but I was looking for a good vegan (preferably healthy) recipe (soy free and non-dairy "cheese product" free). I've made and enjoyed butternut squash "cheezy" pasta before but while I like it a lot it still has a sweet undertone and I was looking for something a little more savory.

Also even when I used to eat mac & cheese when I was younger, I only ever liked the Annie's boxed kind because I didn't like the soupy or overly creamy texture of homemade versions. so I was wondering, does anyone knew of a healthy, boxed style-ish, vegan mac&cheese recipe? :blush: Thanks!

I love Mac and Cheese, but not many dishes out there for Mac and cheese that i have seen. But if you are interested in expanding your Choices of Vegan meals, You very well may find these following Tips handy and useful. Go to ... https://dausel.co/qOhbSu ,
you'll see some great dishes for you to eat what feels good for you and what makes you happy!

Reactions: Lou