Is Hunting Better Than Factory Farming?

I watched the video. There were only two options. **** me for picking one of them. I don't say this very often, but beancounter was right.

If you really watched the video and still decided to pick one of the two options then I think you may have missed the point.

If you really watched the video and still decided to pick one of the two options then I think you may have missed the point.
I don't think I missed the point, I just don't agree with it.

*Clueless Git (in my opinion, you're far from "clueless" or a "git", by the way, even though I know your chosen title is tongue-in-cheek): We recently posted about whether or not animals in a slaughterhouse fear death. I know they feel absolute terror, at least sometimes, but I honestly don't know if they can truly imagine their own future nonexistence, any more than a very young child understands "death". I believe they have evolved to instinctively fear things which often indicate they are being attacked or are in danger: sudden loud noises, certain odors such as the smell of a predator, large violently-moving approaching creatures. Not that it matters much, really; as I argued above, taking an animal's life does that creature real harm by depriving them of existence, even if it is done painlessly and without causing the animal fear. But humans have a long history of under-rating animals, and maybe I'm doing that right now.
TY for the kind words Tom :)

I don't think you are under-rating animals there.

Logic and observation both seem to support the theory that in a world of predator and prey natural selection favours those who are constantly sh*tting themselves.

Generally, when commenting on a thread that has a video - I watch the video.
This wasn't addressed to me, but I have to confess I didn't watch the video either- I use computers in public libraries and didn't have my headphones. The topic brought back a lot of unpleasant message-board memories for me though, and I just had to vent.

If you do watch the video, make sure you agree with it after.

Reactions: Mischief
If you do watch the video, make sure you agree with it after.

IMHO there is nothing to agree or disagree with, Spang. The point was that it is silly to 'rank' animal suffering / cruelty. I would have thought that a man of your conviction would take a stand when confronted with two bad 'options' and choose neither. My bad.

IMHO there is nothing to agree or disagree with, Spang. The point was that it is silly to 'rank' animal suffering / cruelty. I would have thought that a man of your conviction would take a stand when confronted with two bad 'options' and choose neither. My bad.
Yes, hunting animals is awful, too. But it's not nearly as destructive as factory farming, which slaughters 50 billion chickens (that's just chickens) around the world annually, does untold damage to the environment, and exploits workers. I'm pro-worker, and subscribe to the idea that many workers take really shitty jobs because there aren't many alternatives, especially if you're an undocumented immigrant, as many workers in the meat-packing industry are.

My (hopefully constructive) criticism for the OP / BSV:

In general regarding your videos, who is your intended audience? Vegans? Non-vegans? New vegans? Veteran vegans? Abolitionists? Welfarists? All of the above? Is this informational only or are these tools that vegans are encouraged to use to articulate arguments with omnis? I understand that the primary point is to educate, but the titles can be confusing and misleading , especially when you are posing a question that no educated vegan is asking. (IE the most infuriating: Is Honey Vegan?) This approach tends to cause combative responses among a group of more or less like-minded individuals. But then again maybe that is what you're going for as a 'conversation starter' - I don't know.

On the flip side, a neutral, informative title to the above video might be simply: Facts and common Perceptions / Misconceptions about Hunting and Factory Farming. It's long - but at least it describes the content accurately instead of leading people to believe that one is better than the other and you're going to tell them why.

I personally prefer statement titles as opposed to questions. For example, I love the title: You CANNOT be a non-vegan environmentalist!

Just my two half-pence.