Is Hunting Better Than Factory Farming?

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score

Is hunting more ethical or more humane than factory farming? Does killing your own meal have more “honor” than purchasing it at a grocery store? What is the ethical stance on these two methods of slaughter? And does the method by which an animal is killed effect the morality of their death? In this video, we take a hard look at this ethical quandary. Find more resources in the blog post: Is Hunting More Ethical Than Factory Farming? | Bite Size Vegan

Reactions: Andy_T
Yea, obviously the answer is neither. A loaded question - and a way to trap someone who makes a choice so you can shame them.
my intent is not to shame or trap anyone but to answer this very question that's posed to me so very often.

Give everyone a gun and equal access to all land any animal may hide in on Monday.

There won't be a single animal that's big enough to hit with a bullet left by Tuesday next week.

Heh-Presto!

Global veganism achieved.

Give everyone a gun and equal access to all land any animal may hide in on Monday.

There won't be a single animal that's big enough to hit with a bullet left by Tuesday next week.

Heh-Presto!

Global veganism achieved.
Maybe in your country, but even just taking non-captive wild animals into consideration, I can't see how that could happen.

Some time ago, I was on a message board that had both vegetarians and hunters, etc. One of them was a vegan (supposedly) who was anti-animal-rights: they argued that veg didn;t change anything as far as animals were concerned because individual choices didn't count for enough on that scale- they thought that maybe one-third of the world would have to go veg to make a difference. (So why were they even vegan? They never explained that.) But... they also said that hunting was better than factory farming.

When the discussion turned to whether hunting caused less animal death than farm equipment in crop fields, someone argued that if a former veg killed a deer, that would be one less animal for the meat eaters to hunt- and the hunter would buy factory-farmed meat to make up for it. The hunters tried to argue that it wasn't that simple: if I were to kill a deer, that didn't necessarily mean that another hunter would go home empty-handed.

So, according to that crowd:

1) it doesn't make any difference to the number of animals born and killed in the meat industry whether or not I eat meat.
2) If I were to go hunting, and killed an animal, that animal might well have lived another year if I HADN'T killed them.
3) Question: since eating mass-produced meat doesn't have an impact on how many animals die, but hunting does.... why is hunting better?

(I didn't pose this question to them. They were too stupid or dishonest to have given a worthwhile answer.)

I've never heard of the question being asked of a veg*n by an omni, but it does seem to be a staple on veg*n discussion boards.

When I first gave up meat, I used to think hunting was better because of the whole "free range" scam. But now I can't get past what drives the kind of person who feels like they have to take the life of another living soul.

There are a few avid hunters where I work and I like them, for the most part. They seem like nice caring men. But sometimes I think about the part of them that makes them kill and it creeps me out. We're not talking about an age where it's necessary to hunt to survive, anymore. I don't get the whole "thrill of the kill" mentality. It scares me.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet...hope I didn't veer too far off on the topic.

When I first gave up meat, I used to think hunting was better because of the whole "free range" scam. But now I can't get past what drives the kind of person who feels like they have to take the life of another living soul.

There are a few avid hunters where I work and I like them, for the most part. They seem like nice caring men. But sometimes I think about the part of them that makes them kill and it creeps me out. We're not talking about an age where it's necessary to hunt to survive, anymore. I don't get the whole "thrill of the kill" mentality. It scares me.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet...hope I didn't veer too far off on the topic.

:yes:

I've never been asked this question. I do get the stranded-on-a-desert-island question quite often, though. :rolleyes:

I have this question that goes "if you got stranded on a desert Island and the only things to eat there were a Gorilla armed with a machine gun and a vegan sausage, would you eat the vegan sausage?"

I don't get the whole "thrill of the kill" mentality. It scares me.
Aye, it's a sickness of mind that beggars belief.

To see a living creature and want to see it dead is akin to seeing an original Mona Lisa and wanting to draw silly glasses and a moustache on it.

Reactions: Tom L.

I don't get it either. My family didn't hunt, but we did fish; I gave it up in my teens (when I started keeping an aquarium and finally acquired some empathy for fishes, logically enough). Dad was an avid collector of sporting magazines (Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sports Afield) and I sometimes read them, but nothing really made sense, even though (I'm sorry to say now) I did feel excitement when I caught a fish. Thinking back... I felt the same excitement when, years later, I went through a video game phase.

My best guess is that to hunt, someone must be unable to have any real feeling for the animal they hunt: to realize that an animal's life has value to the animal living it, whether or not the animal can actually *fear "death". Hunters will sometimes deny this up and down- I've heard them and read what they've written. But I've never once seen them explain their position coherently, although I believe they can care about pets they have, and certainly about human beings.

*Clueless Git (in my opinion, you're far from "clueless" or a "git", by the way, even though I know your chosen title is tongue-in-cheek): We recently posted about whether or not animals in a slaughterhouse fear death. I know they feel absolute terror, at least sometimes, but I honestly don't know if they can truly imagine their own future nonexistence, any more than a very young child understands "death". I believe they have evolved to instinctively fear things which often indicate they are being attacked or are in danger: sudden loud noises, certain odors such as the smell of a predator, large violently-moving approaching creatures. Not that it matters much, really; as I argued above, taking an animal's life does that creature real harm by depriving them of existence, even if it is done painlessly and without causing the animal fear. But humans have a long history of under-rating animals, and maybe I'm doing that right now.

Hunting is better than factory farming, because of the two, it causes the least amount of suffering.

You should know better. Who hacked into your VV account and posted this?
I haven't been hacked. In this scenario, hunting is the lesser of two evils. Less animals are slaughtered. Less workers are exploited.

I haven't been hacked. In this scenario, hunting is the lesser of two evils. Less animals are slaughtered. Less workers are exploited.

Generally, when commenting on a thread that has a video - I watch the video. You may want to as well. I'll help you out - you can skip right to the 4:35 mark - and then 6:50, which specifically addresses your 'lesser of two evils' argument.

As far as worker exploitation goes - I don't give a flying **** about workers in slaughterhouses.

Generally, when commenting on a thread that has a video - I watch the video. You may want to as well. I'll help you out - you can skip right to the 4:35 mark - and then 6:50, which specifically addresses your 'lesser of two evils' argument.

As far as worker exploitation goes - I don't give a flying **** about workers in slaughterhouses.
I watched the video. There were only two options. **** me for picking one of them. I don't say this very often, but beancounter is right.

Last edited: