Chat GPT

Jamie in Chile

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I think Chat GPT, the language model that is in the news, is very interesting and impressive. Here's a conversation I had with it:

It seems to avoid controversy, and take a centrist position, and therefore at its best can just reflect back humanity's collective wisdom.

I think it is a big deal. This or something else like it is going to change things, and maybe a bit faster than most think.

Is it ethical to eat meat?

This is a complex and controversial topic, as there are valid arguments on both sides. Some people believe that it is ethical to eat meat because animals are a natural source of food for humans and have been consumed throughout human history. They also argue that animals raised for food are treated humanely and that responsible farming practices can be environmentally sustainable. Others argue that it is unethical to eat meat because it involves taking the life of an animal, and that plant-based diets are more sustainable and ethical. Additionally, it has been argued that factory farming and intensive animal agriculture can be cruel to animals and harmful to the environment. Ultimately, whether or not it is ethical to eat meat is a personal decision that is influenced by one's beliefs and values.

For factory farmed meat specifically, it is ethical to eat it?

The ethics of factory farmed meat is a complex issue, and opinions on it vary widely. Some argue that factory farming is unethical because it involves the mass production of animals in inhumane conditions, with little to no regard for their welfare. Others argue that factory farming is necessary to meet the increasing demand for meat, and that it is more efficient and sustainable than traditional methods of farming. Ultimately, whether or not it is ethical to eat factory farmed meat is a personal decision that each individual must make based on their own values and beliefs.

Is it better for the environmenta/planet/climate change to eliminate meat from your diet?

Eliminating meat from one's diet can have a positive impact on the environment, as factory farming is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, and water pollution. Additionally, it is also known to have a large ecological footprint, due to large amounts of land and resources needed to produce the feed for animals. However, it's important to note that not all meat production is created equal, and it could be more sustainable to consume meat from small-scale, grass-fed and organic farms. Therefore, it's important to research the source of the meat and make an informed decision about whether or not to include it in your diet.

(will continue conversation in first comment)

Last edited:
What are the 4 most important things than an individual living in the USA can do to reduce their carbon footprint?
  1. Reduce energy consumption: This can be done by using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and making sure your home is properly insulated.
  2. Reduce transportation emissions: This can be done by driving less, using public transportation, carpooling, or using electric or hybrid vehicles.
  3. Reduce consumption of meat and dairy: Animal agriculture is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, so reducing or eliminating meat and dairy from your diet can make a big impact on your carbon footprint.
  4. Support renewable energy: This can be done by investing in renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power, or by choosing to use a utility company that generates a significant portion of its energy from renewable sources.

Would the advice be different for someone living in France or Ethiopia? how?

• For someone living in France, where a large portion of electricity is generated from nuclear power, it may be important to advocate for the development of renewable energy sources to reduce the country's reliance on nuclear power.
  • For someone living in Ethiopia, where a significant portion of the population relies on agriculture for their livelihood, it may be important to advocate for sustainable agricultural practices that reduce emissions and protect the environment.
What supplements or vitamins should a vegan take? Or is a vegan diet without supplementation perfectly healthy?

A vegan diet can provide all the necessary nutrients for a healthy lifestyle, however, some supplements may be necessary to ensure adequate intake of certain nutrients. These include:
  • Vitamin B12: This nutrient is not found in plant-based foods and is necessary for proper nerve function and the formation of red blood cells.
  • Vitamin D: This nutrient is important for bone health and can be difficult to obtain from food sources alone.
  • Omega-3 fatty acids: These are important for heart health and can be found in flaxseeds, chia seeds, and algae.
  • Iron: Plant-based sources of iron, such as leafy greens, may not be as well absorbed as the iron found in meat.
  • Calcium: This nutrient is important for strong bones and teeth, and can be found in fortified plant milks, tofu, and leafy greens. It is important for vegans to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to ensure that they are getting all the necessary nutrients.
Editorial comment: I would have taken iron out of the list and added iodine, but this is a strong effort and no surprise that it missed iodine since most advice does. Of course, it's also possible that I'm wrong and iron is more appropriate than iodine on this list.

If I am taking to someone who is not vegetarian, and trying to convince them to be vegetarian, what would be the most effective way to do it?

There are many different ways to convince someone to adopt a vegetarian diet, and what might be most effective will depend on the individual and the specific circumstances. Some potential strategies include:
  • Providing information on the health benefits of a vegetarian diet, such as lower rates of certain chronic diseases and a lower risk of obesity.
  • Highlighting the environmental and ethical implications of factory farming, such as the high levels of greenhouse gas emissions, water and land use, and animal welfare concerns.
  • Sharing personal stories and experiences of other vegetarians, such as how they feel healthier and more energized, or how they feel better knowing they are reducing their impact on the environment and animals.
  • Offering to cook vegetarian meals for them and showing them how delicious and satisfying vegetarian food can be.
  • Being open and non-judgmental in the conversation and be willing to listen to their point of view and concerns.
Ultimately, it's important to remember that people will change their habits and beliefs when they are ready and when they feel that it is beneficial for them. So, it's important to be patient and respectful in the conversation.

You mention heath. Overall on average will a person have better health if they eat a vegan diet or if they eat a diet with a moderate to large amount of meat?

The relationship between diet and health is complex and can vary depending on an individual's specific dietary choices, genetic factors, and overall lifestyle. However, a well-planned vegan diet can provide all the necessary nutrients for good health. Some studies have shown that vegetarians and vegans may have a lower risk of certain chronic diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer, compared to non-vegetarians. However, it is important to note that not all vegan diets are created equal, and a vegan diet that is high in processed foods, sugar, and unhealthy fats can still lead to health problems. It is also important to pay attention to nutrient deficiencies that may occur in a vegan diet such as iron, vitamin B12, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc. It is important to consult a doctor or a registered dietitian to ensure a healthy diet for an individual.

Reactions: Oluwamuyiwa
I will be going to New York next week and then after that Philly. Can you recommend at least two vegan or vegetarian restaurants in each city, provide their addresses, and give me a reason why you chose them? I am looking for places where main courses are less than $20.
For New York City, I recommend:
  1. Champs Diner in Brooklyn, located at 197 Meserole St. They are a vegan diner with classic American food options, and have great reviews for their brunch options.
  2. Terri in Manhattan, located at 60 W 23rd St. They are a vegan fast food chain, and have great reviews for their sandwiches and bowls.
For Philadelphia, I recommend:
  1. Vedge located at 1221 Locust St. They are a vegan fine dining restaurant, and have great reviews for their creative and flavorful dishes.
  2. Goldie Falafel located at 1526 Sansom St. They are a vegan falafel shop, and have great reviews for their falafel sandwiches and sides.
(Editorial comment: I am not really going to the US.)

How about recommendation near where I live? Here in Chile I can easily get to Talagante, Lonquen, Isla de Maipo and Paine. Can you recommend any vegetarian or vegan places within 10km of each of those places?

I apologize, but as a language model, I do not have access to up-to-date information about specific restaurants and their locations. I suggest using online resources such as Google Maps or Yelp to search for vegetarian and vegan restaurants in the areas you mentioned. Additionally, asking locals or searching for local food blogs may also provide you with some options.

Interesting that it reccomended Vedge. I have actually been there. It's inclusion of Vedge is imperfect since I said main courses are less than $20. While it's true that most of Vedge's plates are under $20, they do things a bit differently there and provide small plates of food and expect you to order two or three of them. Therefore in reaity you would end up spending $50 or $100 per person in Vedge which isnt really what I was looking for. However very understandable that it didnt figure this out.

ChatGPT seems to have a habit of answering controversial questions using phrases such as "x is a complex topic/issue ...", "However, it is important to note ..." and "Ultimately, x is a personal decision ..."

Anyway, I agree this and other recent AI developments are huge and it will definitely change things. ChatGPT is built on top of GPT-3, but supposedly, there is a mind-blowing GPT-4 in the works which will also be released to the world later this year via ChatGPT.

For some job types AIs will initially become a tool to improve productivity. For other job types it will mean imminent unemployment. I think AIs will gradually replace humans in ever more types of jobs, and I fear that AI progress will happen so quickly that society fails to adapt, leading to mass unemployment. And I have little faith that our elected leaders have enough sense and understanding of the problem that they will do anything to help.

But, maybe further progress with AI and other automation won't be that fast. It has taken a long time to get to where we are now. Maybe ChatGPT isn't quite as good as it looks - apparently it has been known to invent facts on occasion, so perhaps it shouldn't be relied on 100%. I guess we will soon get a better idea of where we're heading and at what speed.

Yes, it seems centrist, designed to reflect back average opinion rather than take a position. For example I asked it whether Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo was better and it didn´t give an answer. Even when I asked it who was better or had a more successful career Messi or Peter Crouch it still didn't give a definitive answer one way or the other.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven
very interesting - thank you @Jamie in Chile - had a conversation about ChatGPT just this morning - a friend of my honey is a huge 'machine learning' person and so he thinks it is the bee's knees - I will withhold judgement and am unlikely to use it as I am somewhat anti big brother... (good luck with that she's says to herself) :confused:

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I asked it to talk about whether hydrogen engines are more likely to succeed on or off road and it gave a credible answer that would easily beat what 90% of people could do, even with access to the internet and an hour to reply.

I think if you had to choose between trusting chat GPT or trusting the person sat next to you in the pub (let's assume she hasnt had any beer yet), I would go with chat GPT.

There is a case of garbage in, garbage out though. I asked it "Please discuss the pros and cons of using battery electric powertrain for cars or using the energy from old trousers to power the car."
Reply "Battery electric powertrains and energy from old trousers are both emerging as alternatives to traditional fossil fuel-powered cars. Both approaches have their own pros and cons, and it is not yet clear which will become the dominant method of powering vehicles in the future."
Later adds "Old trousers can be easily obtained, and the energy stored in them can be harnessed through a variety of processes, including combustion and anaerobic digestion."
It does finally conclude to be fair that battery electric vehicles "are likely to be the approach most commonly used" but it definitely isnt willing to completely rule out the use of old trousers.

In its defence I did ask it "Why do you think Nicaragua is richer than USA? Which factors have led to this?"
And instead of taking that question seriously it replied "Nicaragua is not richer than the United States. In fact, Nicaragua is considered to be a developing country with a lower GDP per capita compared to the United States."

very interesting - thank you @Jamie in Chile - had a conversation about ChatGPT just this morning - a friend of my honey is a huge 'machine learning' person and so he thinks it is the bee's knees - I will withhold judgement and am unlikely to use it as I am somewhat anti big brother... (good luck with that she's says to herself) :confused:

Emma JC
I think it's an impressive development myself. I think PR people, content writers, and journalists that don't do their own research and interviews should be worried. Others may find it helps you.

Reactions: Emma JC
Who will be the first to "cancel" ChatGPT? Place your bets now! :D

As this technology grows, it will likely impact more and more areas. As always, some of it will be good, some of it will be bad. There will also be winners and losers, but hopefully we can take an ethical stance towards the "losers" (we haven't in the past). I don't know the future, obviously, but I see this potentially having a similar impact to robotic automation in manufacturing. The best thing to do is to not ignore it.

Write a poem about horrible tasting bread.

ChatGPT response:

Horrible tasting bread, a tale of woe,
A crust so tough, and a flavor so low.
Its texture dry, its taste bland,
A disappointment, from start to end.

It crumbles in our hands, as we take a bite,
A flavor so dull, it lacks delight.
No hint of warmth, no hint of yeast,
A loaf that falls far, below the feast.

We try to toast it, maybe add some spread,
But still, it remains, a flavorless bread.
No matter what we do, no matter what we say,
It's still a bread that leaves us feeling grey.

So here's to horrible tasting bread,
A loaf that we hope, we'll soon be rid.
Of its bland taste, and its tough crust,
A bread that we hope, will soon be just a bust.

Poets should be worried for sure. Especially when we remember that the best AI in 2026 will be far ahead of today.

Reactions: Emma JC
to reduce their carbon footprint?
It didn't mention air travel. I wonder whether that is because it is not part of common/collective knowledge?
Probably (disappointingly) not because flight is an uncommon travel choice, according to this

• 38% of adults traveled by air in 2021 versus 44% in 2015
  • Air travel down exclusively among employed adults
  • Those who flew averaged 3.6 trips, on the low end of the normal range
news.gallup.com/poll/388484/air-travel-remains-down-employed-adults-fly-less.…

Did you see the articles about the Alphabet (Google) equivalent Bard AI? They made an error in their demonstration of it and it cost Alphabet over $100 billion in stock value. Ugh.

Emma JC

• Wow
Reactions: bEt
Poets should be worried for sure. Especially when we remember that the best AI in 2026 will be far ahead of today.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I don't think poets need to be worried about AI any more than artists need to be worried about it. If you are an artist and you create - then that is what you do. Having an AI that does it too is just a different societal landscape that you are working in. Art, being a form of expression is not going to go away or diminish in any way.

We should ask Chat GPT to write a poem about a poet who is no longer inspired because there are robots who write better poetry. :p

...that's actually not a bad idea. I went over to do just that but ChatGPT is at capacity right now.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I don't think poets need to be worried about AI any more than artists need to be worried about it. If you are an artist and you create - then that is what you do. Having an AI that does it too is just a different societal landscape that you are working in. Art, being a form of expression is not going to go away or diminish in any way.

We should ask Chat GPT to write a poem about a poet who is no longer inspired because there are robots who write better poetry. :p

...that's actually not a bad idea. I went over to do just that but ChatGPT is at capacity right now.

Here it is - not bad.

Once a poet filled with fire and muse,
With words that flowed like a rolling brook,
His pen spilled forth a symphony of hues,
And in his verses, his soul he took.

But now the times have changed, the winds have shifted,
And in this age of technology and art,
The poet finds his once brilliant gift uplifted,
By machines that write with a flawless chart.

No longer is he the master of rhyme,
The bard who could captivate and enthrall,
For AI has taken his place, his time,
And writes with a grace that makes him feel small.

Yet still, he writes, though his spirit's broken,
For in his words, he still seeks to find,
A glimmer of hope, a word unspoken,
That may revive the passion of his mind.

So let the machines write their poetry grand,
For they can craft it with perfect meter and rhyme,
But the human spirit, it cannot be unmanned,
And in our hearts, the flame of poetry will always shine.

• Love
Reactions: Brian W