Health Issues How's your dental health?

I haven't had dental insurance in 8 years, so I haven't been to the dentist in 8 years.
I brush twice a day with a manual brush and usually floss twice a day.

My teeth look terrible. I had a lower one pulled on the side and the bottom ones started to shift, now they're all tilted.

When I was about 11 years old I was jumping into a public pool and my mouth hit the side and knocked out the front one. It was literally hanging by a piece of gum. The lifeguard ran over and tried to yank it out and I screamed, there was blood everywhere. The dentist ended up pushing it back into my gum and put a sort of cast on the four front teeth to hold it in and give it a chance to reattach itself. The tooth did reattach itself right to the bone, so I couldn't get the braces I needed. Whatever the cast was made of caused damage to all four teeth. The dentist tried to put some stuff on them to cover it up, but it made it look worse. The front tooth was also chipped, and another piece broke off a few years later, so they decided to cap it. I don't know why they didn't cap it from the start. When I got it capped the dentist put it on so it was leaning towards the other front tooth. He said he thought it looked better that way instead of there being a gap. I told him I'd rather have it straight even if there was a small gap, but he said it was too late. Stupid dentist. o_O
I'm so sorry about all the problems you have had with your teeth and dental care.

. When I got it capped the dentist put it on so it was leaning towards the other front tooth. He said he thought it looked better that way instead of there being a gap. I told him I'd rather have it straight even if there was a small gap, but he said it was too late. Stupid dentist. o_O

Wow, that was nice of him to make that decision for you. ._. Though one thing about a bit of a gap in between your teeth is you always have people pestering you about it. (I have a gap between my front teeth. It happened naturally when my permanent teeth grew in) Sometimes it's 'complimentary' (a random customer gushing "OH DON'T EVER CHANGE IT, IT'S SO SPECIAL" after I hand them their coffee ... ), and other times, it's not very nice. "Oh dur hur, at first thought you were missing a tooth!" <--- again a random customer. In fact, that was his greeting. It's not just customers either. One of my teachers felt the need to point it out back in highschool too.

Or people getting even more in your face and just randomly ask out of the blue "so why didn't you get braces?/Did braces not fix it?" etc. It's frustrating. Honestly, I don't think a gap between teeth is a big deal, but I don't understand why people feel the need to point it out to me, whether it's to compliment it or make fun of it. It's uncomfortable, and it's rude.

Not saying you're better off with the crooked tooth, but just saying the pasture isn't really greener on this side either. =/

I think he did that to try and cover up his mistake of ordering a cap that was too small. Before the cap my tooth was straight and there weren't gaps, but the cap is narrower than my tooth was.

That's horrible that people comment on your teeth, what's wrong with people. You should have let the coffee accidentally slip and land on that guy making fun.
My dad used to get this disgusted look on his face and say how awful my tooth looked after the cap, and ask why I don't get it fixed. Thankfully he finally stopped doing that.

Wow, that was nice of him to make that decision for you. ._. Though one thing about a bit of a gap in between your teeth is you always have people pestering you about it. (I have a gap between my front teeth. It happened naturally when my permanent teeth grew in) Sometimes it's 'complimentary' (a random customer gushing "OH DON'T EVER CHANGE IT, IT'S SO SPECIAL" after I hand them their coffee ... ), and other times, it's not very nice. "Oh dur hur, at first thought you were missing a tooth!" <--- again a random customer. In fact, that was his greeting. It's not just customers either. One of my teachers felt the need to point it out back in highschool too.

Or people getting even more in your face and just randomly ask out of the blue "so why didn't you get braces?/Did braces not fix it?" etc. It's frustrating. Honestly, I don't think a gap between teeth is a big deal, but I don't understand why people feel the need to point it out to me, whether it's to compliment it or make fun of it. It's uncomfortable, and it's rude.

Not saying you're better off with the crooked tooth, but just saying the pasture isn't really greener on this side either. =/
The model Laurn Hutton had a gap between her teeth, and people kept wanting her to get it fixed. She liked it though, so she got a temporary piece she could put in if the photog wanted her to.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377648797125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377648797125.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 164
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377648807633.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377648807633.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 148
The model Laurn Hutton had a gap between her teeth, and people kept wanting her to get it fixed. She liked it though, so she got a temporary piece she could put in if the photog wanted her to.

I never saw anything wrong with that gap. I thought it was as distinctive a feature as a mole or birthmark. In fact, it was one of the things I've always liked best about Lauren Hutton because it made her look normal and human, as opposed to the plastic anorexic Barbie dolls that have come along since that everyone calls "models".

ETA: She also had her own line of casual wear back in the 1970's. I wore Lauren Hutton pants. They were my absolute favorite pants for years. :)

Reactions: ledboots
I never saw anything wrong with that gap. I thought it was as distinctive a feature as a mole or birthmark. In fact, it was one of the things I've always liked best about Lauren Hutton because it made her look normal and human, as opposed to the plastic anorexic Barbie dolls that have come along since that everyone calls "models".

ETA: She also had her own line of casual wear back in the 1970's. I wore Lauren Hutton pants. They were my absolute favorite pants for years. :)
I always loved her because she was so casual. I liked her clothes too. And the gap. :)

Reactions: Amy SF
Gee, thanks, guys...I will never think of teeth in the same way again. :rofl:

True, but the whole touching a stranger's mouth or even looking in their mouth grosses me out.:yuck:

I have no problem with teeth or saliva or anything gross if it's a dog, cat or young human. Yet the idea of taking care of an older kid's or adult's bodily secretions grosses me out completely. Don't know why.

Reactions: thefadedone
I am not happy , I just got back from the endodontics because the dentist I went too a few weeks back wanted to save a tooth, it turns out that if we would save it I will lose it in a few years and wasting 2 grand for root canal and a crown and stuff to just keep it for partials. He recommends extraction because of that and plus there are many problems. I am looking into ways to preserve the other teeth that is left in my mouth so I can eat, I cannot have normal tooth paste, or gel, what and how can I use to do this?