Health Issues How's your dental health?

I went to the dentist for the first time in about 5 years in April. I had to have 2 fillings, argh. Since Ive had them done one of my teeth is still sensitive when I bite on it - which apparently isnt right. I have a follow up on 13 September I'll raise it then.

Dentistry is a pain. I didnt have a dentist hence why I didnt go - my old one used to tell my mother whatever I'd had done to my teeth (keeping in mind I was over 20 at the time this is actually illegal) and even though I'd happily tell my mum what happened thats *my* decision thank you. So yeah my new one is only open Monday-Friday 9-4.45 on weekdays via the NHS (£17 per appointment and £40 a filling). Unfortunately I work full time and funny hours. Privately theyre open til 6pm on a Thursday and 1 Saturday a month. So when I needed the fillings, I couldnt get the time off work and had to cough up £250 to go on a Saturday. Boooo. Rant being its no good being a cheap dentist if I cant actually use your cheap services! My follow up I managed to pull some stringies at work and finish at 4 so can make the last NHS appointment yay.

It really annoys me that I needed those fillings. I brush my teeth at least twice a day, floss when I remember, dont eat much sugar, etc. Yet I have a lot of fillings. Never had anything bigger though, no root canals etc. Oh I once had a tooth yanked when I was a kid because my adult incisors grew in before the baby ones fell out so I had double fangs.

I have a chip on one of my front teeth, I hate it but every time it's filled it comes out. Ive had it for years and its never got bigger and doesnt cause any problems so have stopped bothering. I did it crashing into my ex's face when I was drunk and landing on his lip ring. classy!

Cant get used to electric toothbrush, have tried several and just dont get on with them. Plus you cant buy them in the £1 shop hehe.

Oooh and lastly, apparently my wisdom teeth may need to come out. I keep getting pain in my lower teeth, she couldnt find anything but wanted to keep an eye. Still getting pain!

Think thats all the questions answered :dance: (only toothy smiley i could find)

Overall my dental health is pretty good. I brush twice, sometimes three times, per day, and floss once. I try not to eat too much sugary foods out of concern for both dental and general health.

I used to go to a private dentist once per year and a hygenist twice per year, but have had to stop due to financial reasons. Earlier this year I was lucky and got my teeth checked for free by a mobile NHS dentist team in the back of a van :)

I have no fillings or root canals etc, but my one upper front tooth got smashed to bits when I was little by the plastic eye of a Garfield stuffed animal flying through the air. So I have a crown on there now and it makes me look like a deranged squirrel sometimes when I smile, but I'm sure it could be worse somehow. Also, I had all my wisdom teeth pulled in my early twenties as well as another set of molars when I was little as it was too crowded in there. They made me wear braces for a while when I was in my teens which was horrible.

I have a chip on one of my front teeth, I hate it but every time it's filled it comes out. Ive had it for years and its never got bigger and doesnt cause any problems so have stopped bothering. I did it crashing into my ex's face when I was drunk and landing on his lip ring. classy!

:rofl:I'm glad it isn't just me who does things like that. I chipped my front tooth by smashing my front teeth against my husband's teeth when I was drunk.:oops:

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
I have a huge chip in the back of one of my front teeth. When I was a teen, I slipped and fell and managed to land so the lower edge of the tooth hit the (linoleum) floor. I've had it fixed once, but it fell off/out. The part at the bottom edge is mostly intact, so that tooth just looks a little curved at the bottom, but the bit that filled the giant chip in the back is long gone.
My current dentist says as long as it's not causing me any problems, I should just leave it alone.

Why do fillings cost so much, when they just fall out so quickly?

I haven't had dental insurance in 8 years, so I haven't been to the dentist in 8 years.
I brush twice a day with a manual brush and usually floss twice a day.

My teeth look terrible. I had a lower one pulled on the side and the bottom ones started to shift, now they're all tilted.

When I was about 11 years old I was jumping into a public pool and my mouth hit the side and knocked out the front one. It was literally hanging by a piece of gum. The lifeguard ran over and tried to yank it out and I screamed, there was blood everywhere. The dentist ended up pushing it back into my gum and put a sort of cast on the four front teeth to hold it in and give it a chance to reattach itself. The tooth did reattach itself right to the bone, so I couldn't get the braces I needed. Whatever the cast was made of caused damage to all four teeth. The dentist tried to put some stuff on them to cover it up, but it made it look worse. The front tooth was also chipped, and another piece broke off a few years later, so they decided to cap it. I don't know why they didn't cap it from the start. When I got it capped the dentist put it on so it was leaning towards the other front tooth. He said he thought it looked better that way instead of there being a gap. I told him I'd rather have it straight even if there was a small gap, but he said it was too late. Stupid dentist. o_O

I recently had orthodontics which was a bit of a pain in the butt my teeth are nice now so I smile at people.

This is my most recent filling of which my dentist was very proud:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377208154.333691.jpg

I've always had really good tooth health. The only cavity I've ever gotten was when I was around 7 or 8 when I was really bad about brushing my teeth. The only teeth I had removed were my wisdom teeth when I was 17. That seems to be the magic age for wisdom teeth, haha.

I brush twice a day and floss once. A brush after breakfast or lunch, and then brush and floss right before bed. I don't see the value of brushing your teeth the minute you get up, as you haven't had anything to eat or drink in between the past brushing, and then letting breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks rot your teeth out all day until the brushing before bed.

I've been using Tom of Maine's toothpaste which is quite good, but I want to swap to Desert Essences. I've heard lots of good things about it. I give my tongue a quick scrub with the toothbrush when I'm done.

I don't drink soda or anything else loaded with sugar. (well, I'd have apple juice, but the kind without added sugar. But even then, I've been really good about not drinking any at at all the past few weeks, swapping it out with glasses of water or unsweetened iced tea) Partially from personal taste, but also because it's just so bad for your teeth and overall health. x_o;

I've also never used whitening. Partially because pure snow white teeth look fake and freaky, but also because I can't imagine it does your teeth any good.

I used to go to the dentist a couple times a year, but since I'm not on any dental plan I haven't gone in ... a few years. But I never have achey teeth or gums, so I must be doing a good job taking care of them on my own.

I don't see the value of brushing your teeth the minute you get up, as you haven't had anything to eat or drink in between the past brushing, and then letting breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks rot your teeth out all day until the brushing before bed.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense to me either unless you aren't a breakfast eater. Otherwise I don't see the point in brushing your teeth and then eating breakfast. Eating breakfast with a minty fresh taste in your mouth sounds gross. :yuck:

I've also never used whitening. Partially because pure snow white teeth look fake and freaky, but also because I can't imagine it does your teeth any good.

:yes:

I've read that you shouldn't use mouthwash before bed since most of them contain alcohol. The alcohol dries out your mouth and leaves you with funky smelling breath apparently.

Brushing my teeth is the second thing I do every morning (after I pee). Morning breath has got to go.

The toothy tabs I use aren't minty, so they don't make my coffee/breakfast taste bad.

I never eat anything in the morning until I brush my teeth. My mouth feels really disgusting and slimy in the morning until I brush. I also use the Water Pik after I brush to get rid of some of that minty taste, so I don't worry about that when I eat breakfast.

Oh I see. I find my morning breath isn't usually that bad. And when it is, I'll have a peppermint tea or something. But what works for some people doesn't always work for everyone, so I can understand that.

My teeth are bad I was under alot of stress from 07 too 2011 and I lost about 6 teeth and I about to lose a few more, my mouth is a very bad condition and I cannot smile it breaks my heart.

Brush 2x a day. No flossing. I want to...never get around to it. haha

Haven't been in a dentist since I was a kid, so 15+ years ago. Did have my teeth cleaned and x-rayed by my friend who was studying to be a dental hygienist about 3 years ago though. Apparently, my teeth are pristine. Or were at that time anway.

My first wisdom tooth came in a year ago. It looks a little funny back there but no sign of shifting. I hope the other three stay the eff where they are because chances of me going to the dentist EVAR are zero to none. >:p

I brush at least twice a day with an Oral B Triumph and floss after every meal/snack when possible. I see a dentist twice a year. The next time I go, in December, I'll have insurance.