Having difficulty getting enough protein

You are likely right. I'm going to do some research on what combines with another food to make a complete protein. I eat red beans and rice frequently and soy as well. I'm not giving up on my vegan way of eating, I just need to be more mindful and do the extra work that is needed to be a healthy vegan. I see a nurse practitioner from time to time and I think making an appointment to talk with her would be a good idea. I worked damned hard for my muscles and don't like them wasting away on me.

There is some useful information on the UK Vegan Runners Club link. Perhaps you can get some useful tips (a vegan athlete's diet isn't a normal vegan one) as the articles are
written by people who have real expertise on the subject:

@Emma JC , please forgive my post here. I am about to be rude, but it's necessary for the sake of accuracy.

@lonelyheroine, eating potatoes is a terrible way to pack in calories and protein.

An entire pound of boiled potatoes only contains 349 calories and 9 grams of protein: Calories in 1 lb of Potato (Flesh and Skin) and Nutrition Facts .

If you are an athlete, you will have a very difficult time meeting your calorie and protein needs from potatoes (unless you are prepared to eat at least 6 pounds of potatoes per day).

@lonelyheroine, please consider planning your diet with the help of a Registered Dietitian, as I recommended above. Public forums are a very poor source of accurate information.

rude? that's nothing new, I like you anyways :)

I didn't suggest that she get her protein from potatoes, although, as @Lou pointed out there is protein in potatoes. I specifically suggested putting chili on them (lotsa beans & veggies). Potatoes are filling, rich in energy, fibre, vitamins and minerals and inexpensive, store easily... need I go on.

I also didn't suggest that she eat only potatoes. Many people have been helped by going on a 1 or 2 week potato only diet, as a reset. I used Andrew Spudfit just as an interesting example. He became very athletic on potatoes only and did eat 6 or more pounds per day (just looked it up and it was 8-9 pounds per day). I can easily eat one or more pounds at a sitting as part of my meal and I do not put budder on them, usually just vinegar, pepper and a bit of salt, sometimes some ketchup, gravy or the Swiss Chalet dipping sauce.

I always agree with your suggestion that people consult a Registered Dietitian and yet you and I both know that 99% of people are not going to do that, they are going to get their ideas from either their personal doctor (who knows next to nothing about nutrition) or online or from family and friends. I live the way I do now because I heard Dr McDougall on a late night talk show....... did I know some of it before and did I do my research? YES and yet it was his presentation that put me over the top and I haven't looked back. I don't agree that Public Forums are a poor source of accurate information, if so, why are you here? I think it is wonderful here and I am proud of the people that you and I and everyone else help on a daily basis. Lifestyle determination is a journey and just one little helpful hint along the way can change a trajectory and even if they never come back again it could change their future for good.

So you continue to suggest a Registered Dietitian and I will continue to share what I've learned and all will be good.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

A couple of words about RDs.

Maybe first thing is that one was assigned to me when I was being treated for cancer. She was the best. However the information she gave to me was very specialized. Pretty much everything else I needed to know about nutrition I already knew. I don't believe nutrition science is rocket science.

on the other hand, there is so much misinformation out there - for many people it is the easiest way to navigate thru the weeds.

Not sure how it works in Canada - or even other US states. Here in California, the words Nutritionist and Dietician are used interchangeably. But a Registered Dietitian meets Many legal requirements. A nutritionist can be anyone who wants to hang a shingle on their door.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I became a full vegan two months ago and for the most part, it's been working out pretty well. The problem I'm facing is that I can't seem to get enough protein to sustain my very active lifestyle. I'm an endurance runner and over the past couple of weeks, the muscles on my legs have shrunk and there's loose skin where the muscle was previously. I eat beans and rice, as that makes a complete protein, tofu, oatmeal, soy milk and lots and lots of vegetables. Peanut butter is another item in my daily diet.

Does anyone else have this issue and if so, what can be done to fix it?
Welcome and kudo's for becoming vegan. I am very athletic and rely on beans, tempeh (steamed for 15 minutes), nuts and seeds, quinoa, and
vegan protein powders, for the main protein. I get enough calories by consuming smoothies and large meals!. .Please be aware of the need
for all humans to consume omega 3 fats. Most of us get plenty of omega 6 fats which are inflammatory. Sadly, peanuts/peanut butter is very
high in omega 6 fats, and so are almonds. I limit my consumption of peanut butter. The best ratio is 1:1 or 1:2 omega 3 to omega 6 fats. Flax
seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts have great omega 3 fats in them. Make sure to get enough calories. For instance, when I consume
banana's I eat several, not just one, and often put nut butter on them.
Vegan is of course a lifestyle and also involves eliminating animal suffering, and supporting the environment. I have been on this whole food vegan
path for over 25 years, and its' a learning experience.

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
And if you want to add muscle you may need 2000 calories a day.
As a comparison, I am probably a lot older than the OP, definitely much less active, and there are days that even I log more than 2000 calories, and my weight is steady. I used to think 2000 was a lot, until I started keeping track. Probably a lot of people need even more calories just to maintain.

One more thing: I wonder if you are taking any supplements? (I know that's not what you asked about, but I feel like it's important, too)

Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I became a full vegan two months ago and for the most part, it's been working out pretty well. The problem I'm facing is that I can't seem to get enough protein to sustain my very active lifestyle. I'm an endurance runner and over the past couple of weeks, the muscles on my legs have shrunk and there's loose skin where the muscle was previously. I eat beans and rice, as that makes a complete protein, tofu, oatmeal, soy milk and lots and lots of vegetables. Peanut butter is another item in my daily diet.

I believe it's about doubling your diet to make up for lost energy. I used to be a runner too when I was still a meat eater. But had to stop after becoming a vegan because I basically lost so much weight without running that I had fears that if I resumed running without figuring out first how to get an equal amount of calories compared to my former diet, I could collapse on the tracks someday.
Figuring it out took a while, discovered I only need to double my diet to make up for burnt calories. Can't wait to resume running, and I wish you the best as you adapt these changes to your lifestyle.

Peace & Love

There is some useful information on the UK Vegan Runners Club link. Perhaps you can get some useful tips (a vegan athlete's diet isn't a normal vegan one) as the articles are
written by people who have real expertise on the subject:

Those are really, really good!
This one is probably more protein than the OP is looking for but has some interesting ideas anyway

On a positive note, I ran my fastest in my first year after changing to this diet so it's clearly possible. After that, I decided to reduce the frequency of running so can't hit those old speeds any more.

Perhaps try to increase both total calories and protein to cover the bases. However, there is a strong argument that most diets that aren't frutarian contains somewhere close to the total amount of protein that is recommended. But perhaps add some protein sources while increasing total calories.

After eliminating meat from our diets we usually need to eat more grams of food to get the same calories, I believe. This is because fat has more calories per gram, and vegan diets have less fat.

Good luck. :)

Perhaps try to increase both total calories and protein to cover the bases.

If you increase total calories you almost automatically increase the amount of protein.
However, there is a strong argument that most diets that aren't frutarian contains somewhere close to the total amount of protein that is recommended.
It's not a strong argument. If all other things remain equal and you eat healthy - you get enough protein
But perhaps add some protein sources while increasing total calories.

regardless that is probably a good suggestion. Most non-vegan don't eat beans every day. Vegans should eat beans every day - maybe even a few times a day.
After eliminating meat from our diets we usually need to eat more grams of food to get the same calories, I believe. This is because fat has more calories per gram, and vegan diets have less fat.

Not exactly. It more about volume than weight. One square inch of cheese has about 100 calories A half cup of beans has about 100 calories One cup of chicken has around 200 calories. One cup of spinach has around 10 calories.

But yeah, in general vegan diets contain less fat.

Reactions: Emma JC
On a positive note, I ran my fastest in my first year after changing to this diet so it's clearly possible. After that, I decided to reduce the frequency of running so can't hit those old speeds any more.

Perhaps try to increase both total calories and protein to cover the bases. However, there is a strong argument that most diets that aren't frutarian contains somewhere close to the total amount of protein that is recommended. But perhaps add some protein sources while increasing total calories.

You should change that to whole plant food diets! Vegan diets can easily have as much fat as an omnis!

Looks like we have some disagreements Lou and Silva, but let's keep the thread focused on helping the original poster for now. I think I'll discuss our disagreements about fat only if the OP mentions an interest in it. Otherwise we can perhaps discuss those on another thread or at least some time later.

its not so much as a disagreement as a concern about details. some would categorize me as nitpicking.

Pea protein is an easy fix, I have been using it for years even before I started reducing animal products. Add a little to a smoothie and you are in business, in some ways it is superior to whey protein. The more whole foods route is get more legumes in your diet so long as you can withstand all that fiber which does take some time to get used to.

Looks like we have some disagreements Lou and Silva, but let's keep the thread focused on helping the original poster for now. I think I'll discuss our disagreements about fat only if the OP mentions an interest in it. Otherwise we can perhaps discuss those on another thread or at least some time later.
Vegan diets do not imply low fat. I was only suggesting you use the term 'whole plant foods' to make that distinction, because it is a distinction!
The commercial vegan meat subs and cheeses are often loaded with oils, including saturated fats

Hi, congrats on your new lifestyle as a vegan.
I am also very active and athletic. I have been a whole food ethical vegan for 25+ years. In the past 10 years I have
found, and been told (by psychics) that I need MORE protein. Just because we are told that 45-55 grams 'is enough', that
is not true for everyone, especially those very active, and, those over 50. One good trick I found was to often start the day with
2 SCOOPS of a good vegan protein powder such as Sun Warrior, in a green smoothie. To get more calories I would
add more banana's, sweet potatoes, smoothies, whole grains, bean, etcetera. To get more protein, protein smoothies, tempeh (fermented
soy, and very high in protein), nut/protein bars, beans, etcetera. As we get older we can find muscle wasting, but surely it can relate
to switching from animal flesh protein, to plant protein. Take care.
You can also track what you eat, for free, on www.cronometer.com

Reactions: bEt and Oluwamuyiwa
Vegan diets do not imply low fat. I was only suggesting you use the term 'whole plant foods' to make that distinction, because it is a distinction!
The commercial vegan meat subs and cheeses are often loaded with oils, including saturated fats
Not only fats, but vegan meat subs (most "convenience foods", actually) often have a lot of salt/sodium too. I do think vegan substitutes for meat, fish, and dairy can make the transition away from animal foods easier, though. Then again, I've come across complaints that the vegan analogues weren't satisfying... but I can't remember if these criticisms were from folks who were just trying them out of curiosity, but weren't that interested in going veg at that point.

Last edited:
This came out today and I thought it was worth posting. This thread seemed to be a good choice

Some of the articles highlights

----
Maybe you're all hyped up from The Game Changers. (Dude, Have you ever seen an ox eat meat?) Maybe you're just looking to move toward a more plant-based diet. Maybe you just like vegetables. Whatever the reason you have for being here, good on you.​
If it's one thing that doctors and dietitians across the planet agree upon (and they don't agree upon much), it's that eating more vegetables is good for you. Vegetables contain satiating fiber, disease-fighting antioxidants, and a host of important and essential vitamins and minerals that help you feel generally awesome.​
Now, processed plant products like tofu, plant-based "meats," and seiten can all carry more protein, but this list isn't about those products. It's about straight-up, straight-out-of-the ground or plucked-from-a-bush vegetables.​

I believe one big challenge with "new" vegans is that they do not get enough calories or protein. They must understand
the need to consume more whole plant foods. Eating animal protein is concentrated protein but it also feels heavy
in the stomach and takes longer to digest. Eating vegetables however can leave us with that feeling a few hours
after a chinese restaurant meal...hungry. I guess one advantage of plant foods is that it is difficult to be
overweight consuming as much healthy whole foods as we need. Athletic humans need more calories and therefore
MORE food.

I've never even heard of sagging skin over muscles. In just 2 months? While you claim you've been eating beans and tofu? Do you have any before and after photos to back up your story? Or what type of pharma drugs or shots are you on?

Reactions: VeganRachel