US Guns in the U.S.

What galls me is that 45 is going on again about how mental health needs to be addressed with regard to gun violence, and guns don't kill people, blah, blah, blah. He won't address the real issues: the easy availability of guns and the culture of hate he has espoused and engendered.
This is still the battle cry of the pro gun people, likely the same people who do not advocate healthcare for all. I mean, if mental health is the problem, wouldn’t it make sense to make healthcare affordable/available so that the mentally ill vmcan get treatment?

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
From a TikToker.
"It's nice that the society are opening up and we can come back to our weekly mass shooting".

From a cartoon strip at St Peter's Gate.
"The US sends us their prayers and their children".

Oh. I didn't know we had this thread. I just posted something to Politics 2021. I'll also post it here.

I think I can read the writing on the wall. We are not going to get real gun control reform (again!). And (again) its not solely the Republican's fault. It looks like Senator Manchin is going to screw it up (again!).

Actually I should not be upset by it. the House bill is really just a baby step. Sweeping reform is what we need. Check out this Vox video. the guys at Vox have the Best graphics department. That that chart at 5:00 is great.

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
Just saw this proposal.

You can only buy a gun one time every two years. On a Tuesday, in November. You must go and wait in line. There is only one place in your county. You must have multiple forms of ID. No one can give you water while you wait in line.

you have to register before you go. Even if.you register, your name may be off the list and you can't buy your gun until the next purchase day.

If you registered in the past, but haven't bought a gun in two years, your registration gets purged and you have to register again

Stolen from Redit. There was another thread that made the point that it is easier to buy a gun than get an abortion. but I liked this one better.

Reactions: Sax
This is still the battle cry of the pro gun people, likely the same people who do not advocate healthcare for all. I mean, if mental health is the problem, wouldn’t it make sense to make healthcare affordable/available so that the mentally ill vmcan get treatment?
Yep, they always talk out of both sides of their backsides!

Reactions: KLS52

Ok. this will turn your stomach.
In 1996, when Clinton was president and both the house and the senate were Republican, the Dickey amendment was added to a big spending bill.

The Dickey amendment (essentially) prohibited the CDC to do research on gun violence and did prohibit the CDC to promote gun control.

The prohibitions are still in effect, although in 2018 it was modified to allow for research on gun violence and in 2020, for the first time in over 20 years the CDC was provided funding for research into gun violence.

• Angry
Ok. this will turn your stomach.
In 1996, when Clinton was president and both the house and the senate were Republican, the Dickey amendment was added to a big spending bill.

The Dickey amendment (essentially) prohibited the CDC to do research on gun violence and did prohibit the CDC to promote gun control.

The prohibitions are still in effect, although in 2018 it was modified to allow for research on gun violence and in 2020, for the first time in over 20 years the CDC was provided funding for research into gun violence.
This makes my blood boil. I remember reading something on NPR about this a few months back. This is akin to sticking your head in the sand and bowing to the sadly powerful gun lobby (not just the NRA, which is too busy trying to put out internal fires to fight the latest tame proposals for gun control).

• Agree
This makes my blood boil. I remember reading something on NPR about this a few months back. This is akin to sticking your head in the sand and bowing to the sadly powerful gun lobby (not just the NRA, which is too busy trying to put out internal fires to fight the latest tame proposals for gun control).
Two of the parts that I find revolting is that the amendment didn't actually prohibit the research, it must made it easier for CDC researcher to passively avoid the research. And the CDC avoided the research for 20+ years

And the fact that the amendment lasted so long. We did have a Democratic president and congress for two years during this process.

Trump did more to get rid of this than Obama.

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure how effective Universal Background Checks would be. I am sure we should be studying the problem.

The Mass Shootings in schools and supermarkets get a lot of the attention, but A LOT more gun deaths happen in the home.

I did like the last weekends SNL report on gun violence. They suggested that the application for a permit include references. You have to have three references to get a job at Taco Bell (ferchistsakes). I wonder if any of these mass shooters could find three people to give them a "go ahead" on a gun permit.

Mom, could you sign this so that I can get a gun?

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
I've had this issue at least once before (recently).
Not sure what to blame. But recently a day doesn't go by that I don't see a headline on a shooting.
My NewsReader has a little bit of AI and presents me with headlines of stories that it thinks I'll be interested in. The more often I click on shooting articles the more shooting articles I see.
So maybe it's my NewReader's fault.
Or it could be the media's fault. They know that people are interested in shootings and therefore they cover them. Perhaps what used to be local news is now National News.
I am afraid that it might be reality's fault. My NewsReader and the media coudn't display a lot of shooting stories unless there were a lot of shooting stories.
Maybe there were always a lot of shootings but the media didn't cover them so thoroughly or my NewReader didn't pick them out for me.
I need to find some hard numbers.

There is a shooting every single day in Orlando. It is an epidemic. :( I am sure there are statistics to be found but shootings seem to be increasing and studies take time so there will never be a totally accurate accounting. It makes me both sad and angry. I support this group:

Reactions: Lou
There is a shooting every single day in Orlando. It is an epidemic. :( I am sure there are statistics to be found but shootings seem to be increasing and studies take time so there will never be a totally accurate accounting. It makes me both sad and angry. I support this group:
Every day!?

I'm so tired of hearing about the importance of the second amendment. The lies of how it protects against government overreach. the lies of how it protects good citizens from bad.
Just for a moment consider the completely helpless crowd that watched an officer of the law crush the life out of man without any threat. All they could do was record it on cell phones to hope for justice knowing they could do nothing to stop his murder.
Brionna Taylors boyfriend, in their own home that was burgled by police was arrested attempting to protect themselves with a registered gun
The Fedex shooter, known to be mentally unstable, shot 8 people with a lawfully owned gun
Not only am I sick of guns, I'm sick of the police. They're so much America, an illusion of greatness and good you grow up, open your eyes, and just shake your head

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie and Lou
The podcast Radio Lab had a spin-off called More Perfect. Each episode was on another amendment from the Bill of rights. I wish I could remember some of the points it made - but it was fascinating. Needless to say the second amendment has been politicized so you can't even recognize it anymore.
I wouldn't mind seeing a progressive congress abolish it.

There is a lot of gang violence in Orlando which is a big contributor to the shootings. I found an article about that but it is from last September but I think the trend continues.

The second amendment is misinterpreted by the gun crowd and is from an entirely different time. There were no AK's back then.