TV & Film The Documentary Thread

Here is something cool.

It's been so many years since I saw Fahrenheit 9/11.

Micheal Moore just sent me this message.

I have an announcement for you. I would like to invite you to join me for a free worldwide screening on Friday, September 10th, of my 2004 film, Fahrenheit 9/11. We’ll watch it online together here on my Substack site, on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the tragic attacks of 9/11.
We’ve decided to hold this free screening because it’s become clear that many of our political, corporate and media leaders wish to rewrite the history of 9/11 and tell a fake-sentimental story that justified two wars of aggression, the removal of some of our basic constitutional rights, and the creation of the domestic surveillance state. This screening of Fahrenheit 9/11 is our attempt to tell the real facts and understand how our country has, since that fateful day, been in a downward spiral that must be and can be reversed.
The online film event will begin at 9pm ET on Friday, September 10th.I’ll say a few words, we’ll show the movie, and then afterward we’ll bring on some special guests for a discussion and take your questions live. As I said, it’s all free and it takes place right here on my Substack site, michaelmoore.com. To guarantee your “seat” from home, you simply need to be a free subscriber to this site. You can do that by clicking this button:
Fahrenheit 9/11 (still the highest grossing documentary of all time) questions the Bush administration's motives for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It shows our troops speaking to the American people about the lies we’ve been told and shows the madness we’ve created on the ground in those countries. Many of the issues raised in the film - about voter suppression, poor treatment of military veterans, issues of race and class and U.S. militarism, are as timely today as ever.
The film was the first documentary in 50 years to win the top prize — the Palme d’Or — at the Cannes Film Festival. In the U.S., it won the People’s Choice Award — not for best documentary, but for Best Movie of the Year. It also broke an opening weekend box office record set by “Return of the Jedi”. That’s how weird it all was at the time.
Released just a little over a year into the Iraq War, the public overwhelmingly responded to the film which revealed the massive falsehoods and errors of the political, military and media establishment as they exploited the 9/11 tragedy for financial gain (see: military-industrial complex) and set the United States on a course for never-ending wars.
Fahrenheit 9/11 unfortunately remains even more relevant today as the same politicians and elites lead us down the same wrong roads. 20 years later and it is crushing that we still have not learned the lessons of 9/11. We lost the war in Afghanistan. We lost the war in Iraq. We lost the peace with Iran. We still rattle our sabres with countries like China while the world shakes its head and quietly laughs at us. We still believe we can solve problems by invading countries and killing civilians with drone attacks. We are no longer ‘#1’ except in our own minds. We created a fake War on Terror, we militarized our local police, we ended up trillions of dollars in debt — all to protect the so-called ‘homeland’ (a word straight out of the Fascist Dictionary) — when, in fact, the NSA and FBI now admit that our largest terrorist threat is from American citizens who are white supremacists seeking to overthrow Democracy. And we all know who their enablers are: The 147 Republican Senators and members of Congress who, just hours after the January 6th sacking of the Capitol, joined the insurrection and voted to overturn the presidential election results, claiming that Trump was their true president. They lost that vote, but all 147 of these traitors still remain in Congress.
So we are in dark times. Amongst the top industrialized nations we are still last in life expectancy, last in infant mortality, last in overall heath care, last in education, last in voter turnout, last in women’s rights — but first in gun deaths, first in mothers who die in childbirth, first in child poverty, first in number of people in prisons, first in student loan debt, first in home foreclosures and bankruptcies and first in citizens shot to death by the police. The world may laugh at us, but it’s no joke here in the U.S.
This special screening of Fahrenheit 9/11 also marks the debut of “Mike’s Movie Night,” a new feature here on my recently announced site on Substack (the free platform on which you are reading this!). Every month or so, I’ll hold an online screening of a movie I love or have discovered and watch them with all my Substack members (occasionally the film’s director or actors will join us afterward). While this first “Mike’s Movie Night” next week will be available for free to all, subsequent movie nights will be my “thank you” gift to the paid members who are able to contribute and support our upcoming film and TV work. So become a member if you can!
To register for the free screening of Fahrenheit 9/11, which will take place here on Sept. 10 at 9pm ET, please subscribe for free here:
Looking forward to seeing you live online to watch my movie with you!

Anyway it sounds like a good idea to join up and watch. I can't remember if I ever saw Fahrenheit 11/9. Might be a good idea to rent that one next week.

I actually have a Roku. I think even if you don't you can get the Roku channel.

they have this show for Mother's Day.

Reactions: Emma JC
Animal Testing Mockumentary ‘Save Ralph’ Wins Prestigious Cannes Festival Award
Save Ralph has won the Cannes Lions Festival’s prestigious Grand Prix for Good award. Humane Society International (HSI) created the stop-motion mockumentary-style film about cosmetic animal testing.

Sorry, I got something mixed up and then I had to go before I got it figured out.

I was listening to the news and they reported about a trailer for a documentary on Trump.

So I started to link it here. but it has nothing to do with Vegans so I'm going to drop it into politics.

sorry for any confusion.

The Smell of Money

This one has a very limited release. But groups, including my local vegan organization, are hosting private screenings.

We all know this story a little bit. I can't remember all the times it's been covered in other docs. But I've seen this story briefly in like two other docs

-----

“The smell of money”—that’s what Big Pork calls the stench of pig waste in the air in eastern North Carolina, where much of the world’s bacon and barbecue is made. But to Elsie Herring and others who live near the state’s giant pig factories, the revolting odor is a call to battle against generations of injustice.
When a corporate hog farm moves in––uninvited––on land her grandfather had purchased after claiming his freedom from slavery, Elsie Herring decides to fight back. But as her rural community becomes the epicenter of the pork industry’s explosion in America, Elsie’s struggle to save her family’s home and heritage turns into a battle against one of the world’s most powerful companies and its deadly pollution.
After decades of intimidation and defeat, Elsie and her community team up with a gutsy small-town lawyer to take the world’s largest pork company to court. An epic, nine-year legal battle ensues, and the residents risk everything to reclaim their rights to clean air, pure water, and a life free from the stench of ****.
A story about the power of love for one’s family and community to triumph over even the largest forces of injustice, The Smell of Money calls upon viewers to see the people behind what's on our plates––and to join the fight for a better future for us all."

The Smell of Money

The smell of money is a new documentary about factory farming.
It centers on a town in North Carolina near a pig factory. If I remember correctly this pig farm and town have been segments in at least two other documentaries. I may look that up later.

the unique thing about this film is you can watch it for free.

Actors Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara have announced they will personally refund the rental cost for the first 500 individuals who pre-order the film on iTunes or Google Play. The Smell of Money is set for digital release on December 12.

Did a little googling and I found the name of one movie: The Right to Harm, that is also about that town. But I'm pretty sure there are at least two more. but that the pig factory is just a segment in each. Maybe someone else remembers.

Reactions: Sax
New one on Netflix,

You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment

You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment is a four-part docuseries that follows four sets of identical twins who are part of a larger experiment held at Stanford University. There, nutrition scientist Christopher Gardner lays out the parameters for the four sets of twins. For eight weeks, one twin will be put on a vegan diet, and the other will be on an omnivore diet. During the first four weeks, meals will be delivered to the subjects, but for the following four weeks, the subjects will have to follow their respective diets on their own.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
  • Informative

Saturday 20th April I Could Never Go Vegan will play at the Picture House (Komedia) cinema in Brighton at 2pm, followed by a live Q&A with the director (me) and cast. After the Q&A myself and writer/producer of the documentary will also be in the bar/restaurant to talk with anyone who would like to join and generally have a good old chat about all things veganism. Brighton is such a wonderful vegan city and we’re really hoping to try have a big impact with the film. If you’re interested please also try and bring a non-vegan friend along with you, and if possible please help us share this with anyone you think may be interested.

You can find the trailer to the feature film below, and tickets can be purchased through the film’s website (https://icouldnevergovegan.co.uk). We hope to see you there
🌱

I know I'm late to the party, but this week I've watched "Dominion" for the first time!
I'm usually a calm and non-aggressive person, but I would love to meet face to face with some of so called "humans" featured.
The full 2 hour movie is available for free on youtube and should be a compulsory watch for everybody...

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC