The Documentary Thread

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
The Human Bean

Inspired by a half-page scene in John Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat, where a family of poor, super healthy kids eat an almost exclusive bean diet, Beau decides to do much the same thing. Eating only the contents of 191 tins of beans over 40 days transforms Beau into The Human Bean, and in doing so gives him a front row seat into how one food, totally and utterly, dictates how he feels. Beau uses his intimate knowledge of running to compare his former self to his bean-self, logging lacklustre training for an ultramarathon that he plans on running during the final day of the experiment. Epiphanies are had, saddles are blazed, and genuine insight emerges from what is strangely appealing day-to-day of mediocrity.

• ℹ
  • 👍
Reactions: Val and Blues

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
The Human Bean

Inspired by a half-page scene in John Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat, where a family of poor, super healthy kids eat an almost exclusive bean diet, Beau decides to do much the same thing. Eating only the contents of 191 tins of beans over 40 days transforms Beau into The Human Bean, and in doing so gives him a front row seat into how one food, totally and utterly, dictates how he feels. Beau uses his intimate knowledge of running to compare his former self to his bean-self, logging lacklustre training for an ultramarathon that he plans on running during the final day of the experiment. Epiphanies are had, saddles are blazed, and genuine insight emerges from what is strangely appealing day-to-day of mediocrity.

So .... how does it end? :clap:

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Takeout

Filmmaker Michal Siewierski embarks on an audacious journey to expose the connection between the Amazon forest fires and our food choices. The film also exposes major political corruption, corporate greed and crimes against people and nature. Takeout tackles the facts and stories that traditional media outlets are too afraid to cover. Executive produced by Peter Eastwood and Moby.​

Now available at iTunes.

• 👍
Reactions: Val

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Akashinga: The Brave Ones

James Cameron, the three-time Academy Award Winner and executive producer behind the plant-based documentary The Game Changers has partnered with National Geographic to tell the true-life story of the all-female, vegan anti-poaching group of rangers out of Zimbabwe known as The Akashinga.

Debuted this past Wednesday, August 12th, Akashinga: The Brave Ones documents Zimbabwe's all-female, vegan group of rangers that help protect elephants, lions and rhinos from poachers. The Akashinga, which means 'Brave Ones', is an arm of the International Anti-Poaching Foundation(IAPF) founded in 2017 by Damien Mander, the former military sniper who was also featured as a super vegan in The Game Changers.

Read More: James Cameron's Film Spotlights All-Female, Vegan Anti-Poachers | James Cameron's Film Spotlights All-Female, Vegan Anti-Poachers

• 👍

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
A Life On Our Planet

Veteran presenter Sir David Attenborough has urged the public to ditch meat and work towards a plant-based diet in his new documentary A Life On Our Planet.

I think you can watch it on Netflix.

• 👍

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Catch the ultimate wildlife adventure in Planet Earth: A Celebration, which airs tonight, Aug. 31, at 8 p.m. ET on BBC America, AMC, SundanceTV and IFC. You can also stream it on FuboTV.

It's 8 of the most popular segments from Planet Earth. A new narration and a new soundtrack.

• 👍

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I've been watching this documentary, I'll Be Gone in The Dark, since the last few weeks and it's excellent. Some of you may remember the terror that the rapist caused in Northern and later on in Southern California during the late70's/80's.

I recall one of my cousins saying that she was so frightened that she would go around the house making sure that all of the windows were securely locked at night.

''Writer Michelle McNamara, author of True Crime Diary, her blog about unsolved crimes, finds a new obsession in the “East Area Rapist” (EAR), who terrorised California in the 1970s and ‘80s and was, ultimately, responsible for 50 home-invasion rapes and 12 murders.

The EAR, whose true identity is still unknown, would also come to be known as the “Original Night Stalker” and, as Michelle dubs him, the “Golden State Killer.”‌ Delving into the world of online chat rooms and crime blogs, she becomes immersed in the graphic details of the Golden State Killer case, connecting with like-minded sleuths, trading facts, photos, and leads.''

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
From Plant Based News

---------
Our buddies at Earth Conscious Films have created an inspiring, award-winning film about the solutions Earth so desperately needs!

It’s been buzzing at film festivals worldwide, winning several accolades for Best Documentary, and it’s available RIGHT NOW for a special, free global screening event.

The film is called The Need To GROW, and it’s a deeply moving 90-minute documentary — the kind that gives you chills, opens your heart, and leaves you informed about some of the most critical issues of our times.

This film focuses on soil, food, and the future of our species — told through the lens of three extraordinary and very likable characters, and their journeys as solutionaries. It’s narrated by top-notch celebrity activist Rosario Dawson. And it brings a non-divisive message about the stake we all have in humanity’s ability to sustainably grow food for future generations.

The Earth Conscious Films team spent over 5 years making this movie, and the moment I saw it, I felt exhilarated. This is a story that needs to be told — and it is told VERY well.

I urge you to sit down and watch the film. The Need To GROW moved me emotionally in a way that doesn’t often happen with food documentaries! I promise you’re going to love it, too.

Robbie Lockie & Klaus Mitchell
PBN Founders
P.S. This free, global screening event ends on September 14. So don’t wait!! Watch the whole movie today, and I know you’ll be as inspired as I am!

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I've had a minor obsession with the Keddie Cabins since 2015 or so. I was still living in LA, and something about them hooked into me. I've always been interested in pretty much all true crime, but something about Keddie and its family victims: a single mother, two teen boys, and a very young girl on a campground in the early 80s just spoke to every part of my psyche.

SO ...Cabin 28 (and no not that horror movie garbage):

DIA]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hog Earthlings - The Documentary General 2
E Most Moving Vegan Movie/Documentary General 28
Lou New Documentary- A Prayer for Compassion. Media & Entertainment 3
EANGE Product Dominion documentary Marketplace 0
B Dominion Documentary Transitioning 8
Lou I just watched the documentary eating animals Lounge 8
Forest Nymph Anima short documentary Philosophy 0
J Vegan documentary gofundme General 4
C Documentary: meat the truth Environment 0
Jeroen The documentary "sustainable" on netflix Environment 0
R Can anyone help me with the title of this documentary? General 1
R UK books/documentary recommendations? UK & Eire 4
R Books/documentary recommendations please? General 0
Foodie Media Documentary about vegans and omnivores Marketplace 1
Daya Documentary recommendations General 1
SashaKrot Media Mesmerised. Flying slaves. Documentary about cruelty. Marketplace 0
Spang Music Willie Nelson's Guitar: A Short Documentary Media & Entertainment 0
Trinity Animal Advocacy The Ghosts In Our Machine – Inspirational Documentary Animals 0
Trinity New animal documentary Turlock Animals In The News 0
shyvas Documentary National Geographic Channel - Woman Raised by Monkeys ! UK & Eire 5
Joe TV & Film The "Up" Series Documentary. "56 Up" Showing on PBS in USA. Media & Entertainment 0
Blues Nutrition & Diet Documentary about B12 deficiency ? Health & Body 3
shyvas The Everything Pumpkin/Squash Thread Food & Drink 7
Vegan Dogs The Farm Animals Lovers Thread Animals 6
StrangeOtter Companion animal gratefulness thread Animals 35
Lou The Everything Turmeric Thread Health & Body 16
Lou Corona Virus - The Silver Lining Thread General 15
Gaspard The cat hater thread Animals 39
Brian1 We Need a Goodbye Thread Suggestions & Bugs 23
shyvas Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread Health & Body 2176
Amy SF The Pig Lovers Thread Animals 1
shyvas The Petition Thread Animals 21
KLS52 Christmas Countdown & Everything Thread-2019 Festivities & Special Occasions 182
shyvas The Halloween Thread - 2019 Festivities & Special Occasions 19
R The Petition Thread Animals 0
Mischief How to put thread on ignore? Suggestions & Bugs 3
T The Houseplant Thread Home & Garden 4
shyvas The Everything Valentines Day Thread Festivities & Special Occasions 6
KLS52 The Grammar/Punctuation Thread Lounge 29
Amy SF Closure of my thread Suggestions & Bugs 1
Nekodaiden The alternative energy thread Lounge 2
Forest Nymph The complain about irrational omnis thread Lounge 13
Kellyr Disable automatic "watch thread"? Suggestions & Bugs 2
MadamSarcastra The Bird Thread Animals 58
Amy SF The Law Enforcement Thread General Discussion 3