US Guns in the U.S.

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I just decided to start a thread where we can post news stories about guns in the U.S. culture. Obviously, I think our society is gun=mad and gun-obsessed, but those who want to post stories where guns in the hands of the public are a good thing should feel free to do so.

Here's my story of the day:

The argument started when a churchgoer told Robert Braxton III, 27, he was sitting in seats reserved for two other church members during Sunday service at the Keystone Fellowship Church, district attorney Kevin Steele said.

He yelled "don't f---ing touch me" after a church member tapped him on the shoulders to let him know he was in someone else's seat, an affidavit obtained by NBC Philadelphia said.

Witnesses said Braxton started causing a fuss over the seat, but soon calmed down after talking to a church usher and a pastor.

But the situation soon turned violent when Mark Storms, 46, approached Braxton, carrying a gun in his hand and telling the 27-year-old to get out of the sanctuary.

The gun-toting suspect then flashed a Concealed Weapons Permit badge, which the district attorney’s office belives was purchased online.

“When he came over, he had a gun out, escalating the situation,” Steele said at a press conference on Thursday. “Braxton then took a swing at the defendant, punching him in the jaw.”

"F--- you and your fake badge, get the f--- out of here," witnesses recalled Braxton telling Storms. "That's not a real gun," another witness remembered hearing.

Just before punching Storms, Braxton asked, "What are you going to do, shoot me?" according to the court records.

The gunman then opened fire, blasting Braxton once in the chest and again in the right arm.

Braxton was rushed to Abington-Lansdale Hospital, where he died from his multiple gunshot wounds.

Churchgoer killed in fight over seat at Sunday service

I remember reading an article in Time Magazine, must have been around 1985 to 1990?

It claimed to show all the people in America that were killed by guns during one single day. Must have been about 50 pictures and short stories as part of a longer report on gun violence.

What I remember vividly is that there were a lot of suicides, a few people killed during committing criminal activity (or by criminals) and also a heart-breaking number of small kids shooting each other by accident.

Yes, as in the story IS shared, that is one of my main concerns, that the simple presence of a gun can lead from an argument or probably a fistfight to a deadly situation.

Of course, you could also go to the kitchen, grab a cooking knife, and kill somebody with it, if you are determined enough, but having a gun around, and being raised in the belief that it can solve all your problems, can lead to escalation quickly and more easily.

Also, pointing a gun at somebody might seem less violent than brandishing a knife, but what if the other person then does not do what you want?

Even worse when alcohol is around.

They are kidding, right?

In the deferred prosecution agreement reached with the state attorney's office in Sanford, Jamie Lynn Gilt, 31, agreed to complete a gun safety course, install a mounted holster in her vehicle and provide proof of safe storage of firearms in her home. Gilt also must give 10 speeches about the March 8 shooting and the need to safely secure firearms, according to a news release issued by the state attorney's office on Friday.

It's great that she agrees to follow the law in the future in exchange for not getting prosecuted.
Maybe more criminals could get deals like that?