Ethical Vegans-Eating Birthday Cakes?

Rory17

Practitioner
Reaction score
Hello 👋,
I am a veggie transitioning to vegan. I was vegan and then lapsed back to veggie...
I am in it for the animals and get distressed when I hear what could be gunshots and cows bellowing for their calves. I absolutely love all animals and won’t even kill bugs (I save them). I’m always signing and sharing petitions, and I am quite the campaigner for animals, people and the environment.
However, we went out for a meal for what would have been my sister’s graduation 🎓. We all had cake, but the cake wasn’t vegan. I don’t want to deprive myself of other people’s celebration cakes, but I want to be vegan and help all the animals as much as I can! What do I do?
Thank you 😊.

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I would pass on the cake and have a vegan cake later. However, it took me 3 years to fully transition and I had a month long relapse this year. It wasn’t worth it so I’m back on track. My excuse was the coronavirus, I’m in a different state. Now I just try harder to make it work. It doesn’t matter if it’s harder these days, it’s important to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It depends on a few factors. Maybe the most important is how well the person knows me and how important they are to me. But most importantly, I really don't want to hurt someone's feelings just to avoid a once-a-year birthday cake. but if no one's feelings are on the line than I will skip the birthday cake.

Early on in my veganism, I hurt someones feeling by refusing a specially made meal. After that person died, I started regretting that and I don't think I will do that again.

Hey, veganism is all about compassion.

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
If a person knows you don’t eat dairy or egg I think it is wrong for them to get upset if you won’t eat their non vegan cake, plus they get more cake for themselves

Well, what if they don't know and they made the cake for you?

hwright530

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been in many such situations over the years. Most are unique in variation, but all have the same underlying theme. People need to respect each other, and their beliefs. You're not forcing them to eat vegan food, and they should not expect you to eat non vegan food. I am always polite and gentle in declining the food, but explain that I don't eat animal products and leave it at that. I take the gentle approach even when people try to trick me into eating non vegan food. This will usually cause people to accept and think, rather than start an argument.