Ethical Vegans-Eating Birthday Cakes?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello 👋,
I am a veggie transitioning to vegan. I was vegan and then lapsed back to veggie...
I am in it for the animals and get distressed when I hear what could be gunshots and cows bellowing for their calves. I absolutely love all animals and won’t even kill bugs (I save them). I’m always signing and sharing petitions, and I am quite the campaigner for animals, people and the environment.
However, we went out for a meal for what would have been my sister’s graduation 🎓. We all had cake, but the cake wasn’t vegan. I don’t want to deprive myself of other people’s celebration cakes, but I want to be vegan and help all the animals as much as I can! What do I do?
Thank you 😊.

I would pass on the cake and have a vegan cake later. However, it took me 3 years to fully transition and I had a month long relapse this year. It wasn’t worth it so I’m back on track. My excuse was the coronavirus, I’m in a different state. Now I just try harder to make it work. It doesn’t matter if it’s harder these days, it’s important to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
It depends on a few factors. Maybe the most important is how well the person knows me and how important they are to me. But most importantly, I really don't want to hurt someone's feelings just to avoid a once-a-year birthday cake. but if no one's feelings are on the line than I will skip the birthday cake.

Early on in my veganism, I hurt someones feeling by refusing a specially made meal. After that person died, I started regretting that and I don't think I will do that again.

Hey, veganism is all about compassion.

If a person knows you don’t eat dairy or egg I think it is wrong for them to get upset if you won’t eat their non vegan cake, plus they get more cake for themselves

If a person knows you don’t eat dairy or egg I think it is wrong for them to get upset if you won’t eat their non vegan cake, plus they get more cake for themselves

Well, what if they don't know and they made the cake for you?

I have been in many such situations over the years. Most are unique in variation, but all have the same underlying theme. People need to respect each other, and their beliefs. You're not forcing them to eat vegan food, and they should not expect you to eat non vegan food. I am always polite and gentle in declining the food, but explain that I don't eat animal products and leave it at that. I take the gentle approach even when people try to trick me into eating non vegan food. This will usually cause people to accept and think, rather than start an argument.

I've always eaten the non-Vegan cake in those situations in the past, but I think I'm done. I want people to understand that I take this seriously, and that I'm not one slice of cake away for going back on my morals.

For me, it’s very situational. I usually turn down non-vegan food, but I’m not against making exceptions if there’s a very good reason.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
For me, it’s very situational. I usually turn down non-vegan food, but I’m not against making exceptions if there’s a very good reason.
I do the same. There are times people go out of their way to make food for me, and/or other vegans, and I'll find it contains some non vegan ingredient-- I will have it and thank them. I can wait for a better time to discuss how much animal products are used where you don't expect them to be, and why I try my best to avoid them, as they have no business in food.
I remember about my first 6 months strictly vegan, our company had it's usual luncheon, and the cook went around to let the veg'ns know she had bean burgers. I got in line, then found they were Morningstar, which I knew had egg. I struggled with whether to eat them or not, but thinking how nice it was that she thought to do it, I wasn't going to make it turn bitter. I had the burger.
Sure people can argue the point, but if in the end it helps someone have a better view of turning meatless, it's worthwhile.

I also remember arguing with my grandmother about food. I would honestly change that if I could

I do the same. There are times people go out of their way to make food for me, and/or other vegans, and I'll find it contains some non vegan ingredient-- I will have it and thank them. I can wait for a better time to discuss how much animal products are used where you don't expect them to be, and why I try my best to avoid them, as they have no business in food.
I remember about my first 6 months strictly vegan, our company had it's usual luncheon, and the cook went around to let the veg'ns know she had bean burgers. I got in line, then found they were Morningstar, which I knew had egg. I struggled with whether to eat them or not, but thinking how nice it was that she thought to do it, I wasn't going to make it turn bitter. I had the burger.
Sure people can argue the point, but if in the end it helps someone have a better view of turning meatless, it's worthwhile.

I also remember arguing with my grandmother about food. I would honestly change that if I could

I’ll break from veganism if there’s a logistical reason (hungry and the only available food isn’t vegan), or sometimes if eating the food has some kind of social or cultural significance . . . That can be harder to define. But it usually involves eating something that someone went out of their way to prepare for you.

Could bring your own food. I don't think anyone should go against their beliefs so they won't offend others, even if they didn't know. I'd just say sorry, I'm vegan, I don't eat that. Those instances would be so rare, especially because of covid. Barely anyone is getting out these days. My mom did come over for Thanksgiving, I was pretty nervous since I seen how she wears her mask, but we're still ok. I guess the mask didn't offer much (if any) protection at all since she was staying with us for a few days. It only takes up to an hour, even with proper use of masks.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15