Using up non-vegan foods

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I went vegan on New Year’s Day. However, I still have some non-vegan snack/food items that still need using up. I will possibly donate some of them. Ethically speaking, would there be an issue with using them up?
To waste them would be to hurt the planet, waste money and all of the animal cruelty that needed to occur to produce them would’ve been for nothing.
I can not buy any new non-vegan foods.
I asked myself, “What do you think the animals would want you to do with them?” Or words to that same effect. I think they wouldn’t want them wasted, as then all of their suffering and cruelty for those products would be for nothing, but, above all, I think they wouldn’t want me to buy any new animal cruelty products…
Please no rudeness or abuse here. I am trying to go vegan and stay vegan.

If you don't want to throw them away, you could donate them or eat them. Remember, the violence is already done - eating them doesn't hurt anyone.

If it were me, I would throw them away. Keeping animal products in the house can make it more difficult to transition to vegan.

Reactions: Brian W
@David3 made a good point. I would be in favour of using the products or giving them away but having them around might be a temptation. You wouldn't keep cigarettes around if you were giving up smoking so why would this be any different?

Ethically speaking, would there be an issue with using them up?
IMHO, it would be the best thing to do.
also consider using them up as part of your transition. For various reasons it's best to transition over a period of weeks or months. So there is plenty of time to use them up.

I would really suggest donating them, if you have a workplace just leave in the cafeteria! Or give to family
Especially with a new resolution I do not suggest eating them.
In my mind the idea of "waste" would be concerning if it were, say, a weeks worth of food. In your case it doesn't sound like so much and even if thrown out would make more of an impact on your desire to never eat animal products again

Hello đź‘‹,
I went vegan on New Year’s Day. However, I still have some non-vegan snack/food items that still need using up. I will possibly donate some of them. Ethically speaking, would there be an issue with using them up?
To waste them would be to hurt the planet, waste money and all of the animal cruelty that needed to occur to produce them would’ve been for nothing.
I asked myself, “What do you think the animals would want you to do with them?” Or words to that same effect. I think they wouldn’t want them wasted, as then all of their suffering and cruelty for those products would be for nothing, but, above all, I think they wouldn’t want me to buy any new animal cruelty products…
Please no rudeness or abuse here. I am trying to go vegan and stay vegan.
BTW, congratulations on your decision. Enjoy the journey. :)

Reactions: Tom L.
Yes, this is the main point. This is all that really counts here, from my own point of view.

I agree with the points you made in your post. I grew up with just a little bit of experience with food insecurity though, and it is very, very hard for me to throw anything away. I really have to talk myself into it when I do, so I may have a bit of a skewed perspective. I just can't handle the idea of waste.

Last edited:
That sounds well-reasoned, to me.

Reactions: Lou
Good for you for taking the plunge @Rory17. I think over time you'll find it a satisfying lifestyle, but allow yourself some leeway and forgive yourself and don't give up if you go astray now and again. Some people, not all, have trouble with the instantaneous approach. I failed more than a few times by declaring "now I'm vegetarian!" or "now I'm vegan!" The key is trying again if you lapse. Going (mostly) vegan as a gradual progress ended up working better for me as I weaned off "old ways" and introduced more "new ways." Lifestyle shock therapy doesn't work for everyone. If this doesn't work out in the long run, try a different approach. You'll get there. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

for those of you who are sort of new here, some info.
And I do NOT mean this as criticism of Rory - just an observation.

But Rory has been going from vegetarian to vegan over and over again for as long as I've "known" him.
And definitely no criticism meant there. I think every time he goes vegan is praise worthy.

He has a lot of trouble giving up cheese and it wouldn't surprise me that it's cheese that he is worried about here. Cheese is addictive and although there are good arguments for going cold turkey - IMHO it's good to go gradual.

So Rory finish the non vegan items in your cupboard, and vow to replace them with vegan items as you need to.

• Informative
Reactions: ewomack and bEt
for those of you who are sort of new here, some info.
And I do NOT mean this as criticism of Rory - just an observation.

But Rory has been going from vegetarian to vegan over and over again for as long as I've "known" him.
And definitely no criticism meant there. I think every time he goes vegan is praise worthy.

He has a lot of trouble giving up cheese and it wouldn't surprise me that it's cheese that he is worried about here. Cheese is addictive and although there are good arguments for going cold turkey - IMHO it's good to go gradual.

So Rory finish the non vegan items in your cupboard, and vow to replace them with vegan items as you need to.
Actually, I’m female, but thanks.

• Haha
But could I still call myself vegan?
IMHO. You can call yourself a vegan.
You know when someone joins AA, they start counting days. Then if they fall off the wagon they just start counting days over again. It's not like they get kicked out of AA.

Reactions: bEt and Brian W
This is my first week trying to go vegan and I have the same issue as the OPer but on a bigger scale.
There are so many people struggling with high energy and food costs who are on very low incomes, so throwing food away
when others are in desperate need struggling to feed their families is not an option for me.

I have a load of tinned stuff to go through and sort what I can and cannot still eat, what I can't will go to a food bank.
Some things I have can't be donated and at the moment I haven't found suitable replacements, so will use up rather than waste.
Things like plain biscuits and sponge cakes can be put out for the birds who are finding it hard to find worms etc to eat due to the
ground currently being frozen. solid where I am.

A simple google search for what wild birds can safely eat may help to identify any foods that can be used this way rather than be wasted.
Be careful to note any safety precautions like washing pasta well to remove oil and salt that are not good for birds. Apparently birds
love cooked and chopped up pasta.