FR Anti-vegan father is eating my Vegan food

Ydobon777

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Anti-vegan father is eating my Vegan food, forces me to finish animal food and feeling guilty

I don't understand his logic anymore ... my dad is severely anti-vegan after being plant-based for a while, he's ALWAYS complaining when I cook some biscuits or cake that it's '' disgusting and non-animal based food shouldn't exist '' yet ..I had a great surprise knowing that he ate all my Vegan cookies I had hidden in the cupboard, also he took my vegetable bouillons ( all of them ) instead of taking HIS meat one. I feel furious .... Of why, he is doing this to me ? I feel ashamed because my recipe called my bouillon and i was obligated to use the meat one, and it wasn't really good , the more I smell it the more sick i felt and guilty. I know he is gonna force me to eat the non-vegan stuff to not waste. When i told him Vegan cant eat eggs like in the mayo he told me I am not your trash you need to eat all the food in the cupboard, which mostly isnt vegan I feel really sad and I dont want to waste food again, when he wasnt home I throw so much animal food in the past ... because there was no one I could give to,

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: VeganRachel and bEt
Oh, that sounds very stressful.
I'm trying to think of practical solutions here, to start with.
Do you have a bedroom where you could keep some things like bouillon, even in a dresser drawer, for example, so you don't get caught unaware again?
On the other hand, maybe it is encouraging that he really does want your food, even if he is too proud to admit it. You could count that as a good thing, if you think about it a certain way.

Anti-vegan father is eating my Vegan food, forces me to finish animal food and feeling guilty

I don't understand his logic anymore ... my dad is severely anti-vegan after being plant-based for a while, he's ALWAYS complaining when I cook some biscuits or cake that it's '' disgusting and non-animal based food shouldn't exist '' yet ..I had a great surprise knowing that he ate all my Vegan cookies I had hidden in the cupboard, also he took my vegetable bouillons ( all of them ) instead of taking HIS meat one. I feel furious .... Of why, he is doing this to me ? I feel ashamed because my recipe called my bouillon and i was obligated to use the meat one, and it wasn't really good , the more I smell it the more sick i felt and guilty. I know he is gonna force me to eat the non-vegan stuff to not waste. When i told him Vegan cant eat eggs like in the mayo he told me I am not your trash you need to eat all the food in the cupboard, which mostly isnt vegan I feel really sad and I dont want to waste food again, when he wasnt home I throw so much animal food in the past ... because there was no one I could give to,
Is he reasonable enough for you to talk with? Is your relationship with him good enough for him to be reasonable enough to at least let you talk and see and respect your point of view and be compassionate?
Perhaps you could explain your reasons for being vegan and that it is your right to be vegan? Perhaps you could explain how veganism works (how it spares the animals through supply and demand and how it helps save the planet and how a wfpb vegan diet is one of the healthiest diets out there, if well-conducted)? You could make the point of saying, “You want me to be healthy, right Dad?” “Don’t you think it’s important to be decent person and not be selfish (in reference to the animals)?” “Don’t you want me to have great planet to be able to live on, and raise your grandchildren on (if that’s your plan), in the future?” You could also explain that, right now, you’re not trying persuade him to go vegan; you’re just trying to persuade him to let you be vegan in peace, to support you, to be good about it. Later on, when he has learned to accept (not just tolerate, not even just stop the abuse, but actually accept) your veganism, then you bring the discussion on to him, to try to compassionately persuade him to go vegan, just make sure you do it at the right times, not when he’s in a bad mood (!) You could even try not even mentioning that you’re trying to persuade him to go vegan, even, not even mentioning the word “vegan”, but just say “Hey Dad, would you like to watch this animal documentary with me later? It’s called (insert Earthlings, Forks Over Knives, The End of Meat, or whatever title). It is gruesome, but I’ll be here to support you and we can take it at our own pace and stop if need be and then continue it.”
On a side note, perhaps just use these posts for advice for you, and don’t show them to him…

Reactions: VeganRachel
I don't understand his logic anymore .
There is no logic here. Sometimes people do not behave rationally. He is driven by emotion at this point, and logic won't reach him. If you can manage it, the best thing you can do is just be patient.

the more I smell it the more sick i felt and guilty.
Please know there is no reason for you to feel guilty. You are just getting by in a hostile environment.

Hi, he loves your food, terrific way to start.
WHY is he anti-vegan? what is bothering him?. Males are brought up to believe they must eat animal protein and
that it makes them strong, powerful, manly, dominant. It actually does not. Eating beans and nuts, instead of corpses,
does not feminize men or make them less manly. Vegan males have higher testosterone levels than meat-eating males.
And, as you can see, this Nimai Delgado, who has never eaten meat in his life, is vegan and very muscular.
Do you have a dog or a cat, and does he love those animals?.

Some might be but I doubt that the majority are. That's a heck of a stereotype!
You have your beliefs, but as a female who had 3 brothers and a father, males are brought up to link
meat/animal proteins with masculinity. The animal ag industry loves to play on this in their ads.
MY dad, not a hyper masculine guy at all, even if my mom had made a delicious soiup or quiche, would say,
thats' great, but "Where's the meat?". I do not find it a stereotype, but you might.

Soldiers are regularly fed extra rations of meat, so they are less fearful, more aggressive on the battlefield.

This can be very subtle, but it is there, and vegetables (sans potatoes, peas, corn, perhaps) are seen as feminine.
It starts when they are children, and boys get together and have meals together. Imagine their reaction when one
of them eats a salad, broccoli, and beans. To a boy, the most insulting thing you can call him, is a girl (or gay).

Read the chat rooms where vegan males make comments or statements. They are regularly insulted with
'not-masculine-enough' type comments against them.

Do have a family friend that your father respects that you can sit down with to explain the stress between you and your father.
Then set up a meeting between them,you,your father and talk the situation through .