Vegan Vampyres

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I am currently into vampires and the Goth subculture again, as I was when I was younger. This is something that I have been thinking about a lot recently…
Obviously, killing unwilling people or animals would not be in line with veganism. However, while supernatural vampires probably don’t exist, there is actually an actual subculture of people who either believe they physically are real vampyres (their preferred spelling, to distinguish themselves from the fictional vampires) or (and this is a guess) they may choose to live the lifestyle of a vampyre.
Anyhow, while there are nice and not nice people in all walks of life, this isn’t a scary or evil thing necessarily, as the vampyres (except psychic/sexual vampyres, etc) only usually drink blood from willing donors. All they do is make a small incision (possibly less pain than a blood test, or about the same) and then drink some, and maybe, help the donor heal. Unless they are being irresponsibly unsafe, they make sure that the donor gets tested first, so as to rule out any blood-borne illnesses.
Anyhow, I was wondering, if a vampyre did this, but otherwise followed a vegan lifestyle, could they still call themselves vegan? I mean, yes, it’s an animal product, but the differences between this and eating animal flesh, dairy, eggs, etc, are:
A) Unlike in the case of other animals, the vampyres’ donors are willing participants; consensual adult donors.
B) Unlike in the case of other animals, they are treated humanely and ethically, and they live perfectly fine afterwards.
What do you think?

I guess the key word here is consent.
So, I'd say they can call themselves what ever. As long as they aren't participating in cruelty against animals.

Reactions: Rory17
Not what you are looking for, but the headline makes me think of Bunnicula and Count Duckula. Two vegetarian vampires. Bunnicula a children's book series and Duckula cartoons.

Reactions: Dedalus
Hello đź‘‹,
I am currently into vampires and the Goth subculture again, as I was when I was younger. This is something that I have been thinking about a lot recently…
Obviously, killing unwilling people or animals would not be in line with veganism. However, while supernatural vampires probably don’t exist, there is actually an actual subculture of people who either believe they physically are real vampyres (their preferred spelling, to distinguish themselves from the fictional vampires) or (and this is a guess) they may choose to live the lifestyle of a vampyre.
Anyhow, while there are nice and not nice people in all walks of life, this isn’t a scary or evil thing necessarily, as the vampyres (except psychic/sexual vampyres, etc) only usually drink blood from willing donors. All they do is make a small incision (possibly less pain than a blood test, or about the same) and then drink some, and maybe, help the donor heal. Unless they are being irresponsibly unsafe, they make sure that the donor gets tested first, so as to rule out any blood-borne illnesses.
Anyhow, I was wondering, if a vampyre did this, but otherwise followed a vegan lifestyle, could they still call themselves vegan? I mean, yes, it’s an animal product, but the differences between this and eating animal flesh, dairy, eggs, etc, are:
A) Unlike in the case of other animals, the vampyres’ donors are willing participants; consensual adult donors.
B) Unlike in the case of other animals, they are treated humanely and ethically, and they live perfectly fine afterwards.
What do you think?
If mutual consent it's under the guide lines for vegan--but-- it's highly risky.
You say 'gets tested', but blood tests test for particular things, they don't necessarily show it's safe. What would you do, drink it as soon as the test comes back, hoping nothing changed in the mean while? HIV, all types of hepatitis.... so many other things can be transmitted.
For what though? I get the concept of cosplay, but not this

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I don´t think it disqualifies you as Vegan, silva does make some interesting points though.

If mutual consent it's under the guide lines for vegan--but-- it's highly risky.
You say 'gets tested', but blood tests test for particular things, they don't necessarily show it's safe. What would you do, drink it as soon as the test comes back, hoping nothing changed in the mean while? HIV, all types of hepatitis.... so many other things can be transmitted.
For what though? I get the concept of cosplay, but not this
Sometimes they may believe they need it. Sometimes it may just be so that they can claim themselves as a real vampyre, as a lifestyle choice, etc.
Regardless of your views on the safety aspect, I still think we all need to be kind and respectful to them, even if we are genuinely concerned for their safety. We can express our concern for them in a kind and respectful manner.
By the way, you weren’t at all unkind or disrespectful in your post. Just saying.
Thanks for your reply and have an amazing day and night!