Easy, simple and free hairdos

D

Deleted member 3018

I'd be grateful if any of you would have suggestions/ideas regarding easy and simple hairdos. And I do mean extremely simple and easy, for I have looked up some instructions that claim to be simple.... and are definitely not. When I was a child, and everyone my age already knew how to do braids, I found the technique impossible to master. That's the level of incompetence I have when it comes to tying hair up.
Now I can do braids, but that's about it.

I have thin and very long hair. I don't go to the barber anymore, so it's kinda untamed. I just take the split ends at home every now and then.
Hairspray is out of the question, because it smells horrendous.

Over the years I have found that short hair is even more complicated than long: you have to cut it at the barber (because uneven tops are more visible when you can't tie them up), and when you have neglected going to the barber, it reaches a certain lenght and gets into your eyes and is distracting.
But, if you know any tips and tricks on cutting your hair short at home, that would also be welcomed.

Thank you and I hope you are doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: TofuRobot and KLS52
Oh my. I wish I had some advice for you. My hair has been the bane of my existence since I was 7 years old. It’s 4 am and I’m going to try and catch another hour of sleep. I’ll be watching this thread closely and will likely have something to say at some point, if only to whine.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Oh my. I wish I had some advice for you. My hair has been the bane of my existence since I was 7 years old. It’s 4 am and I’m going to try and catch another hour of sleep. I’ll be watching this thread closely and will likely have something to say at some point, if only to whine.
Oh yes, thank you. Let's whine together.

Oh damn... Now I feel selfish, self-centered, shallow and stupid...
Evereyone else is worried about worlds end, and I'm here thinking about my hair...
But last night was so nice that I forgot about the covid-19 for a moment... :(

I’m still awake. We need distraction. Seriously, I stress my hair every single day. Multiple times a day. It pretty much dictates what kind of day I’m going to have. Not normal. No need to feel bad at all!

• Friendly
My hair is naturally curly with pretty tight curls. If I wanted no fuss hair I would need to cut it short and let it do it’s thing. It’s not who I am. I like style. And I don’t want to just pull it back. Since I cannot accept what I have and continually try to make it do what it isn’t meant to do, like blow it out straight, I will never be happy with it. It never looks the same twice as it is 100% controlled by the weather. The least amount of humidity causes it to curl and frizz.

I have been very helpful yet I know. All I’m doing is obsessing over my own anguish. 🤦‍♀️

do you have bangs/fringe? I like simple ponytails with bangs. Especially if your hair is straight. I used to chemically straighten just the bangs of my hair every summer and it was so helpful. I could do a ponytail and it was cute with the curls, but the straight bangs softened my face especially the older I got. Curly frizzy graying bangs is not flattering on an aging face.

I’m still awake. We need distraction. Seriously, I stress my hair every single day. Multiple times a day. It pretty much dictates what kind of day I’m going to have. Not normal. No need to feel bad at all!
Do you have insomnia? Or is anxiety keeping you up? Not getting enough sleep is really difficult. I'm sorry for you.
I have slept poorly as well, I think it's because I worry about this whole covid-19 tragedy...I toss and turn and when I wake up in the morning I'm stiff and my shoulders ache.

There are some methods that might help a little bit.

Also, if you don't have much time to take care of yourself, you can maybe do a little streching at bed. Lifting feet up against the wall helps with restless legs.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding. I agree that distraction is important right now.
And I can relate... my hair makes me very frustrated every day. I'm literally on the brink of cutting it all off.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I don’t know if what I have is legitimately insomnia. I can fall asleep very quickly. My issue is staying asleep. I wake up refreshed after four hours or so, then not being able to go back to sleep. It happens regardless if I’m stressed out or not. I’ll be awake for 2 hours or more before being able to go back to sleep. Usually at that point, it’s 5 a.m. and time to get up for work...which, actually, I no longer have to do as I’m officially retired as of yesterday. Woo Hoo! Lol. But I’m an early morning person anyway so I’m not likely to want to go back to sleep at 5 a.m. This would be fine except that I then crash buy late afternoon. If I could develop a routine, whereby I go to bed at 7 p.m. and wake at 3, it would be perfect. But alas, my cats will not allow that, lol. They really have ruined my life for me. But only in that respect. What I gain from them is so much more. I don’t know why I love them the way I do. I am constantly tortured by them in one way or another. I should hate them. Lol. But I just can’t. I don’t understand it. But I guess that’s what love is. <3

I think we have an insomnia thread in case we get in trouble for going off topic, lol. :)

And thank you very much for the tips/videos. :)

• Friendly
My hair is naturally curly with pretty tight curls. If I wanted no fuss hair I would need to cut it short and let it do it’s thing. It’s not who I am. I like style. And I don’t want to just pull it back. Since I cannot accept what I have and continually try to make it do what it isn’t meant to do, like blow it out straight, I will never be happy with it. It never looks the same twice as it is 100% controlled by the weather. The least amount of humidity causes it to curl and frizz.

I have been very helpful yet I know. All I’m doing is obsessing over my own anguish. 🤦‍♀️

do you have bangs/fringe? I like simple ponytails with bangs. Especially if your hair is straight. I used to chemically straighten just the bangs of my hair every summer and it was so helpful. I could do a ponytail and it was cute with the curls, but the straight bangs softened my face especially the older I got. Curly frizzy graying bangs is not flattering on an aging face.

This is weird, I can relate yet again... I could cut my hair short, but what is keeping me from doing that is that my hair somehow defines who I am. I am a woman, a bellydancer and a metallist, so I must have long hair. Short hair would just look stupid on me. So it's all about style and identification. Still, anything but practical.

Oh, I love curly hair. It always looks so thick.
Is you hair kinda like this youtubers?

My hair is straight, but ponytails doesn't work, because the silky and fine hair gets tangled very easily.

Back on topic...are you looking for a hairstyle that’s free and easy or a way to keep the hair off your face?

A blunt bob cut or angled cut looks really cute and easy to maintain.

3D2B5A54-13CB-4F16-96E3-7788F08CE86C.jpegE129AFC4-3428-42CC-A67A-05D020C32D07.jpeg

• Informative
My hair could look like that...for about five minutes. I’m not young and cute like her, though, so it makes a difference. It’s the whole ‘what is flattering’ for my age and face that’s an issue. Actually, it’s probably not my hair that is the problem, now that I think about it, lol. 🤔 :grinning:

• Friendly
Ok, so here’s a picture of me on a day when I did not hate my hair, lol. I could live with this but the problem is, it didn’t look like that the day before nor the day after, even though I do my hair the same way every day. And it’s old fashioned. There’s nothing current/stylish about it. That’s the frustrating part. And if it was raining that day or had even a hint of humidity, it would turn into a frizzy mess just going from my car to my home or office. I’m so tired of constantly having to worry about what the outdoor air is going to do to my hair! Grrrrrr.
EA1FBD7C-C06B-4196-BB26-999C9490B65D.jpeg

I think people with straight/normal hair don’t really get that. I’m always getting people saying, why don’t you just pull it back. Well, because #1 it’s not flattering and number two, with curly hair, you still get the little frizzy pieces that will stick up unless you slick it back with heavy greasy product. Why don’t you cut it short? Because then I will look like Sophia from Golden Girls. Maybe if I had her cute face, I wouldn’t mind. And mine would likely be tighter curls/ringlets. Cute o a toddler, not so much on a 68 year old woman.
1BD72BFF-E0C1-4571-9B7E-6A21FE9E24CD.jpeg

Hopefully someone with long thin hair will join in and offer some assistance.

Ok, so here’s a picture of me on a day when I did not hate my hair, lol. I could live with this but the problem is, it didn’t look like that the day before nor the day after, even though I do my hair the same way every day.
Hair has the mind of it's own.

I had a blunt bob cut when I was 14 years old. It didn't actually look too bad. And thank you for suggesting the bangs, I'll consider that as an option. And thank you for telling me stories, you have brightened up my day.

I don't think graying hair is necessarily bad looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I wish I had a suggestion or two for you, StrangeOtter. I have curly hair, but not as curly as KLS's. I would call mine loose curls, but the frizz is a real problem when it rains or when it's humid. I lose the definition in the curls and my hair inflates into a messy, frizzy, unstyled disaster. I obsess about my hair as well, lol. I have mine short because I don't have the patience to let it grow long anymore, haha. I actually like it shorter these days.

I do agree that a bob is pretty easy to style and maintain. I had a keratin blowout once, and I had straight hair for about six months. I had a bob and bangs, and what I loved about it was that I could let my hair dry naturally and it still looked good! That does not happen with my curly hair, unfortunately. I do blow mine out straight sometimes, but like KLS, it never turns out the same way and it's such a pain in the neck most of the time. Summer is great for me, because I just put some curl definition cream in it after I've showered, let it dry and then fluff it out a little with my fingers.