Easy, simple and free hairdos

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I feel like often times this sort of "fantasy-self", of wich minimalists talk about, is tied to hair. I would have liked to think that I had the certain type of hair and tried to achieve it, which was obviously impossible.
The end result is paifully forced and doesn't look good.

So yeah, I'll let it do its thing, cut it to pixie (as soon as I have the equipment) and see if that looks good or not, if it doesn't, well.... who cares, it's only freaking hair. There is more to this life.

You don't have to use hairspray? That's amazing! Thank you for sharing your ideas.

By the way, I was thinking, since you cut your hair at home... Do you have any particular method for cutting it? Does it require some sort of equipment aside from scissors?
No, I just use a small, very sharp, scissors.

When I'm cutting the hair of someone with long hair, I also use a comb to separate and hold the hair. With my hair being so short, I find it easier to use my fingers for that purpose.

My sister cut the family's hair until she went off to college; then I took over the job. In college, my friends started to ask me to cut their hair, and soon I was cutting the hair of about half the dorm. I got quite a bit of experience that way.

This tutorial is the best. And I have decided to follow the instructions.
The woman says that she has given up and lets her hair do what it naturally does, and that sounds simple and easy enough.
I don't care how it looks like anymore... I'm just fed up waking up looking like a wood goblin, trying to brush my unmanageable hair in a hurry before going to work.

Yes, I think that's the secret - going with what the hair wants, instead of trying to fight it.

Now that I've caught up, I see you cut it. Good for you!

I was always so frustrated when I went to hairdressers - they always insisted I needed perms, because my hair is so fine and limp, and they always used so much product, including hairspray, even though I told them that I needed a style that would work without hairspray.

I had always assumed you needed a really delicate face to carry off very short hair. Then I saw Judi Densch and realized that my face shape and features aren't that different from hers, and I took the scissors to myself. Now, for the first time in my life, I get compliments on my hair from strangers.

I was always so frustrated when I went to hairdressers - they always insisted I needed perms, because my hair is so fine and limp, and they always used so much product, including hairspray, even though I told them that I needed a style that would work without hairspray.
Wow. The hairdressers didn't listen to your requests? That's bad job on ther part. I can see why you'd be frustrated.

I stopped going to the hairdresser, because last time they were really rough with my hair, actually hurting me. I don't want to pay for something like that. I guess the hardresser was in a hurry and had a bad day, but still, I am not going to risk it anymore.

No, I just use a small, very sharp, scissors.

When I'm cutting the hair of someone with long hair, I also use a comb to separate and hold the hair. With my hair being so short, I find it easier to use my fingers for that purpose.

My sister cut the family's hair until she went off to college; then I took over the job. In college, my friends started to ask me to cut their hair, and soon I was cutting the hair of about half the dorm. I got quite a bit of experience that way.
You have had heaps of experience. That's awesome!

And thank you for the tips. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s quite obvious I have an obsession with hair...albeit an unhealthy one...but an obsession nonetheless.

So here’s the thing. I probably have really nice hair. It’s how the hair compliments/deters from my face that causes the issue. I always felt that hair makes the person (in a physical sense, to be clear). Some people who are born naturally attractive with normal features can pretty much get away with any hairstyle, even something super short or severely pulled back. Others, not so much.

Of course, that depends on how much you care about how people are going to react to you, based on your appearance, lol. I am working towards coming to peace with the mirror and hopefully finding a compromise whereby I will have a carefree hair regimen and not balk every time I see my reflection. I will get there!

Afterthought...it always amazes me when I get compliments on my hair, which happens often enough. But it’s usually on a day when I’m hating on it, lol. Or just before I have a hair appointment to get a cut/trim.

So I really don’t hate my hair...I hate how it sometimes doesn’t flatter my face. Fighting what it wants to do naturally is part of the problem, but the other part is that when it’s in its natural state, it isn’t what suits my face to the way the “I” like it. Hence our battle for 68 years. Hair is definitely going to win the war. 😁

It’s quite obvious I have an obsession with hair...albeit an unhealthy one...but an obsession nonetheless.

So here’s the thing. I probably have really nice hair. It’s how the hair compliments/deters from my face that causes the issue. I always felt that hair makes the person (in a physical sense, to be clear). Some people who are born naturally attractive with normal features can pretty much get away with any hairstyle, even something super short or severely pulled back. Others, not so much.

Of course, that depends on how much you care about how people are going to react to you, based on your appearance, lol. I am working towards coming to peace with the mirror and hopefully finding a compromise whereby I will have a carefree hair regimen and not balk every time I see my reflection. I will get there!

Afterthought...it always amazes me when I get compliments on my hair, which happens often enough. But it’s usually on a day when I’m hating on it, lol. Or just before I have a hair appointment to get a cut/trim.

So I really don’t hate my hair...I hate how it sometimes doesn’t flatter my face. Fighting what it wants to do naturally is part of the problem, but the other part is that when it’s in its natural state, it isn’t what suits my face to the way the “I” like it. Hence our battle for 68 years. Hair is definitely going to win the war. 😁

I hope you can find peace within yourself and also a carefree hairstyle that is pleasing to you. :heart:

I have difficulties identifying my emotions, I think the condition is called alexithymia, so who knows maybe I feel regretful for cutting my hair and don't even know it?
...No that doesn't actually make any sense, I'm just trying to make a joke. Even with alexithymia you can have the physical symptoms of, for example fear, so I think I would somehow know if I wasn't pleased with my hair. Dammit, making jokes is hard because they lack logic.

@StrangeOtter... how is the new hair working out for you?
It has really made my life much simpler. I don't have to untangle it before going to bed or after waking up. I just brush it slightly and that's it. I discovered that you can have really nice head massages using a hair brush. The hair doesn't get in the way when I workout, or while sleeping.
I wonder why I didn't do this before. This is amazingly liberating.

I remembered that when I was maybe 5 years old, I wanted to have a mohawk, but my parents of course said no. And again, when I was 14, I would have liked to shave my head, but didn't dare.
Maybe I was never meant to have long hair to begin with?

Reactions: KLS52
Not yet. Although it’s been behaving pretty good the last week or so. Most likely because the weather is still cool and dry.
Maybe someday.
But good to hear that it has behaved. My hair, that rebellious and feral thing never did.