Do you believe in spanking as a form of discipline?

Here is an article.... the comments are interesting to say the least. And let the debate continue!

http://www.care2.com/causes/spanking-linked-to-mental-health-problems-in-adulthood.html

From the article:

Those who were subjected to such “harsh physical punishment” were two to seven percent more likely to develop mental health problems as adults.

The article gives no indication that I can see as to duration (how ongoing) or severity of the pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping, hitting that occurred (how "harsh physical punishment" was defined).

... and agendas. :p

But seriously it's not surprising than on going "harsh" punishment/discipline of any sort from a parent to a child could damage a child's psyche.

With the ongoing harsh punishment that's described, it's surprising that it's only a two to seven percent increase. The study is therefore not exactly compelling with respect to the possible effects of occasional swats on the behind, even if one takes it at face value.

The survey data was from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions, collected between 2004 and 2005 and from 653 Americans over the age of 20. Participants were asked “As a child how often were you ever pushed, grabbed, shoved, slapped or hit by your parents or any adult living in your house?”; those who answered “sometimes” or greater were included in the study.

This is... confusing. Who were they compared to, if only those people were included? And how do we know what 'developed' in adulthood? I would have been included by those criteria and my 'mental health problems' are genetic - so what would the study say if my personality issues caused me not to respond much to punishments to begin with? o_O

For anyone looking for the data not found in the articles...
Here's a link to the study abstract: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/06/27/peds.2011-2947
And the full study: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/06/27/peds.2011-2947.full.pdf+html

For example, Forster asked about how they defined "harsh physical punishment". Well, here's how:

"Physical punishment was assessed with the question, “As a child how often were you ever pushed, grabbed, shoved, slapped or hit by your parents or any adult living in your house?” Respondents who reported an answer of “sometimes” or greater to this event were considered as having experienced harsh physical punishment. The term harsh physical punishment was used for this study because the measure includes acts of physical force beyond slapping, which some may consider more severe than “customary” physical punishment (ie, spanking). Furthermore, to ensure that physical punishment was considered in the absence of more severe child maltreatment, respondents who endorsed severe physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect, emotional neglect, or exposure to intimate partner violence were excluded from the current sample. Severe physical abuse was defined as being hit so hard it left marks, bruises, or caused an injury. Sexual abuse was defined as any unwanted sexual touching or fondling, attempted intercourse, or actual intercourse by any adult or other person that was unwanted or occurred when the respondent was too young to understand what was happening. Emotional abuse was defined as the following acts occurring fairly often or very often: being sworn at or insulted, threatening to have something thrown at the respondent, or any other act that made the respondent afraid. Physical neglect included being left unsupervised when too young or going without needed clothing, school supplies, food, ormedical treatment. Emotional neglect was defined as not being in a close-knit family or having a family member make the respondent feel special, provide strength or support, or want them to succeed. Exposure to intimate partner violence was defined as having amother who was physically abused, including acts such as hitting, slapping, repeatedly being hit for several minutes, or being threatened with a knife or gun."

My husband and I didn't spank our children, adults now. I don't think I could hit any little kid, never mind my own. My daughter has ADHD; she could never sit still, but non-corporal discipline worked fine. We did the 1,2,3 thing, which was very effective with both kids. Basically, 1 is the warning, 2 is the last chance, 3 is time out. I used to just be able to quietly say "One", or even hold up one finger, and the kids knew. I didn't have to embarrass them in public by correcting them or yelling every two seconds. Time out was a bit of a pain for my girl, I had to redirect her many times when she was pre-three years old. It didn't usually get to the time out stage, as even little kids realize if they stop at One or even Two, life goes on as usual.

My husband and I didn't spank our children, adults now. I don't think I could hit any little kid, never mind my own. My daughter has ADHD; she could never sit still, but non-corporal discipline worked fine. We did the 1,2,3 thing, which was very effective with both kids. Basically, 1 is the warning, 2 is the last chance, 3 is time out. I used to just be able to quietly say "One", or even hold up one finger, and the kids knew. I didn't have to embarrass them in public by correcting them or yelling every two seconds. Time out was a bit of a pain for my girl, I had to redirect her many times when she was pre-three years old. It didn't usually get to the time out stage, as even little kids realize if they stop at One or even Two, life goes on as usual.

We did the 1,2,3 thing a lot, very effective.

i wish that would work with my daughter. she doesn't really care about timeouts much. she weighs the pros/cons and usually just continues the behavior and does a timeout. and then it's on the fence whether she will continue or not.

i wish that would work with my daughter. she doesn't really care about timeouts much. she weighs the pros/cons and usually just continues the behavior and does a timeout. and then it's on the fence whether she will continue or not.
My daughter hated sitting in timeout because sitting still for her was (is still, at 23) difficult and boring. Sometimes if she was misbehaving in a restaurant or when I was on the phone, for example, she would think she could get away with more. In a restaurant she would get timeout in the car (husband or I with her, lol) And I would repeat the 123 and timeout if I had to, trying to be consistent.

My son never minded timeout, but he doesn't like to be wrong or corrected, so he usually stopped on One anyway.
As they got older, taking away privileges worked well. Video games for son, phone for daughter. Now they are pretty bossy themselves :rolleyes:, but my son just fixed my TV yesterday, so can't complain.:)

My daughter hated sitting in timeout because sitting still for her was (is still, at 23) difficult and boring. Sometimes if she was misbehaving in a restaurant or when I was on the phone, for example, she would think she could get away with more. In a restaurant she would get timeout in the car (husband or I with her, lol) And I would repeat the 123 and timeout if I had to, trying to be consistent.

My son never minded timeout, but he doesn't like to be wrong or corrected, so he usually stopped on One anyway.
As they got older, taking away privileges worked well. Video games for son, phone for daughter. Now they are pretty bossy themselves :rolleyes:, but my son just fixed my TV yesterday, so can't complain.:)
lol.

my kids are mostly angels in public. they save the fun for home.

my son hates timeouts and my daughter is mostly ambivalent about it. we have had to start mixing timeouts with taking away priveleges. it gets pretty complex and tiresome.