Why do some vegans succeed and others fail?

I lasted for 6 or so months as a 100% plant based vegan, and am now a 85-95% plant based flexitarian. I think why some fail and some succeed really comes down to taste preferences, for me, I couldnt give up my favorite foods forever. If I really really crave something, I eat it and move forward. I dont think it has to be 100% or dont try at all, I do the best I can manage, and still feel happy and satisfied with my diet. That sense of freedom has helped me eat mostly plant based for the long term.
I went pretty much overnight once I had decided. I originally intended flexi, which no doubt is better than nothing.

But in the end, if I see a piece of cheese, I see calves being dragged away from their mothers and having their throats slit.
If I see an egg, I re-see the images of conveyor belts of chicks being dropped into a grinder.
If I see meat, I see the animal, alive...as it should be, rather than being suffocated or bled to death by some lunatic with a knife. I picture the struggling animal, wanting to go on living, but shackled and powerless to escape :(

It's totally a moral and ethical position. I can't follow my moral code "some of the time". The hypocrisy would send me crazy :(

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
I went pretty much overnight once I had decided. I originally intended flexi, which no doubt is better than nothing.

But in the end, if I see a piece of cheese, I see calves being dragged away from their mothers and having their throats slit.
If I see an egg, I re-see the images of conveyor belts of chicks being dropped into a grinder.
If I see meat, I see the animal, alive...as it should be, rather than being suffocated or bled to death by some lunatic with a knife. I picture the struggling animal, wanting to go on living, but shackled and powerless to escape :(

It's totally a moral and ethical position. I can't follow my moral code "some of the time". The hypocrisy would send me crazy :(

I would have to agree as once you’re into animal welfare it gets easier to become vegan.
I cannot comprehend those that
Accept animal cruelty as a normal part of the food chain.

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956